Moo1 in xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moo1 in xp

If anyone has suggestions to running moo1 (starlords.exe) in windows xp, i could use 'em.

sincerely,

whse_whore

It has been a while since I played it, but it worked fine for me. Try these thoughts:

Do you get an error msg, but can not see it has it flashes by?

Right click on the exe and select properties and then Program tab. Clear the close on exit box. This will allow the dos window to remain open so you can see the msg.

Was it a memory issue?

Go to the exe properties select Mem tab. Set the three drop downs to the highest values. Check protected and use HMA boxes.

Does the game require EMS?

If so you should create copies of the Config.Nt and Autoexec.NT files and put them in the directory of that game.
    Edit the Config.NT file and check the box for compatible timer. I have not need the autoexec so far, so change the Config filename to point to the new one you are creating. In this file add EMM=RAM after dos=high statement. This will force emulation of EMS memory.
    Other items may require changs to Config or even Autoexec and will likely be defined in the install doc for that game, I have not required any so far and all of my games are runningat this time, but I may buy others later.

It could be that you need to go to the compat tab and select run in compat mode for Win95. A game that requires 256 colors may need that box checked.
    Misc tab you should look at the Exclusive mode for the mouse. Resolution 640 may be required for some.

Windows XP has a tool that can be downloaded to test various setting for desperate situations.

Comment

MOO1 is not starlords.
      Starlords is a really early version of MOO1 where you don't build colony ships, you just transport the colonists. Starlords also had crappy diplomacy, and crashes a lot.

MOO1 is a completely different game pretty much.

Anyway, set the EMS and XMS higher, Windows 2000 and XP default to giving NO DOS MEMORY to a dos program. Click on the program and hit alt enter, then go to the memory tab, increase the EMS and XMS to AUTO.

Comment

Working...
      X