Favorite planet naming schemes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite planet naming schemes?

What naming schemes do you use for your colonies?

My favorite is to use names related to the race I play. For example, with Darloks, I name my planet s various spy agencies: CIA, KGB, MI5, Mossad, etc. With Psilons-- research universities: Berkeley, MIT, Cornell, etc. Otherwise, just local towns, and then I try to match the type of planet; for example, I like to name a radiated planet a local town that has lots of power plants or pollution, or a poor planet a town that has poor neighborhoods, etc.
    Become a vampire today!

Hm. I name the ultra-rich planets after precious stones. If it is red to begin with, then perhaps ruby or garnet. The rich ones "_stone," where _ is the original colour of the planet. Artifact planets would be some kind of research institute, and don't bother with the rest.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I name them after family and pets. Sometimes backwords so they look alien like.

Davor

Comment

I usually don't bother renaming most of my planets. I might rename the home world to something I like better. For example, when I was playing a custom race with the Sakkra picture (and a leader named Barney), I renamed the home system from Sssra to Dynos (as in Dinosaur world).

Where I like to employ a theme is with the ship classes. Small ships might get names of small animals like Lizard and Taipan. Titans might be named after large mythological creatues, like Leviathan and Behemoth. Refinements of an older design get names like Leviathan 2 etc. to make the ships easier to refit. If I run out of names in a theme, I typically resort to names like Punisher, Big Bastard and the like.
        None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Oh yeah. When I play the Klacs I call the capital planet Hive
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I name my systems after girls.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I am too lazy to name any planets.

Comment

I gave up on naming systems long since, since you cannot re-name a system once someone else settled it... Makes the entire thing a bit pointless.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                  I am too lazy to name any planets.
                  I am suprised vmxa1. After reading you posts all the time I always thought you would have an interesting way of naming planets.

Davor

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
                    I gave up on naming systems long since, since you cannot re-name a system once someone else settled it... Makes the entire thing a bit pointless.
                    No big whop, just reminders of your glorious conquests.

Comment

Just format all their planets in the system, and then reinstall your own.
                      /me thinks he has been on his computer for too long.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I never (re-)name planets/systems.
                        But I try to have a useful ship naming system, for easy overview of ship usage and age (but not size).

Usage is determined by armament, of course. The Archer class is loaded with missiles, Beam class has standard beams, Bombers are self-explaining, of course. The Zip class have small, ultra-fast ships with beams. Pirate (or Privateer) ships have special systems for capture. I build an early slow-moving Defender class with missiles and missile-defence to station at newly-colonized planets. In MOO1 I had an Engineer ship (only a few of each in a fleet) heavily defended, and all non-lethal weapons with all non-lethal weapons I could cram in, especially that green goo that stops ships, computer virus, maybe anti-teleportation thingy. A great ship, often overlooked by the AI fleet, and renders their fleet defenceless against my killer Beam ships.

Using age subclass is for easy evaluation of what ships to upgrade (or scrap in MOO1), or what slot in ship list to update. Usually I give age in numbers 0-n, where number is increased by one for each engine tech I discover. If a ship is redesigned while no new engine has been discovered, I add a letter after the number. Sometime I use the star date of when ship was designed to show age.

So.
                        Archer 0 is my first missile boat, usually a cruiser.
                        Archer 0b is another missile boat, nuclear engines, but possibly armed with merculites. (Or having better armour, shields or something).
                        Beam 6 is a middle-game slugger ship (most often battle ship size), just like it's slightly newer sister ships Beam 6b and Beam 6c.
                        TeleBomber 8 is a miniscule late-game planet buster
                        And so on.

C.

Comment

I have a rudimentary naming system. I leave the name as-is, but add codes to the end of it, depending on planet characteristics:

rich world present: In
                          ultra rich world present: Ind
                          2 food or better world: Ag
                          artifact world: Re
                          only world(s) toxic: Tx

String them together as needed.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Such naming schemes are useful in SP, but are completely inapropriate for MP as they give additional information to your enemies.

In MP I rename my HW with a star name that can occur naturally in the game and when an enemy sees me he can not be sure which is my homeworld
                            Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                              I name my systems after girls.
                              You mean the same as the way they name Hurricanes/Cyclones?

I hardly ever bother renaming. Occasionally I'll rename Sol as Earth, or some planet in the firing line will be called Warhead, but thats about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X