No announcement yet.

Refitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will take the disappointment as I would not like to have to give back all the fun I have had and still have with Moo/Moo2.

Comment

To continue my rant...

Many moons ago i posted a message as Purple Sage on the original MoO3 forums which requested a streamlined ship upgrade/retrofiting system. In fact I got a pesonal reply from Alan E on the matter, indicating that this was definately on their must do lists...

Unfortunately I have rebuilt my PC since then so i have no proof of this.

Further, take a look at Space Empires IV... A very simple but effective game in the same genre as MoO. This game had a beautiful system for retrofits that did not have me spending half an hour every 5 turns or so as i tried to encorporate a new and necessary tech into my fleets - as done in MoO2.

If I am going on a little much on the subject, it is only because I find it hard to belive that the quality and quantity of resources that were/are available to IG could not succeed at what ever was established when they blew up the original game design. Surely there must be a way to make this work.

Comment

I should clarify that the luck involved is not having to deal with the empty feeling inside as you watch your hopes and dreams for something you wanted so badly to be perfection in form dashed to the floor.

I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear in the previous post. This cross I've been dragging around sometimes gets in my way when I'm typing...

Comment

No refitting?

This vexes me. I am vexed.

Comment

If we cannot refit our ships, do we keep the old ones instead of having them all destroyed like in MOO? It could add a sense of realism since it would be cheaper to build a new Leviathan than to rip off all the armor, hull, the Ultra large spinal Phasor beam and build it up to to the new type.
            For example, we cannot drag a F-15 and convert it to a F-16.
            Last edited by Crostoneman; December 21, 2002, 05:02.

Comment

I didn`t find the F 16 analogy very good. I liken space ships more to navy vessels - which are alike because of their scale and function. They don`t call them space SHIPs for nothing. Even then until some kind of stellar mass production became available it would be totally absurd to scrape a functional ship because it is outdated.

I also don`t think it would be a cheaper to build a new leviathan than to refit it. Remember these are massive vessels - it is the carrier, not the fighter.

Comment

I´m a bit dissappointed, that they´ve left refitting out.

But on the other Hand I must agree with Crostoneman and Roland, that it may be more timeconsuming and costly to refit an existing ship than to build a completely new one.
                And besides this, if I can´t refit my ships, my enemys (i.e. all other existing races in the universe ) also won´t be able to do it.

But one important question remains:
                What about Ships currently being constructed?
                For example I have one Leviathan in the Building queue which need 4 turns to be completed and now I discover the technology for Level 1000 MEGA-BLOCK-ALL-Shields.
                Will I be able to change the ship currently built to a new template which sports the new technology without loosing all the construction points and time already spent on building the now obsolete Design?
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Realism is beautiful is a simulator. In a game, however, fun is the only parameter that counts.

And space vessels are more like the navy, anyway. Surface vessels get regular serious overhauls during their service spans. Sometimes with very significant systems upgrades.

They taking this out does not make me happy at all.
                  "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                  "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Even the only reusable spacecraft we've got enjoy major updates every few years.
                    The Space Shuttles have been refitted with all kinds of things: new computers, new cockpits displays, new avionics, new engines, and more are foreseen...
                    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

No, but you could make a new designation of say F-15A and have upgraded computers and missiles, ECCM and the like and that is what they sometimes do.
                      Moo2 did not let you make an upgrade of a BB to DS, only a newer BB.

Comment

I suppose I can understand the removal of refiting. We're supposed to be going to have hundreds of ships right? So, they probably just decided it'd be too much micromanagement to upgrade your ships.

Still, its definetly going to be an irritating cut. In moo2 I constantly refit my ships to keep them in top form, its a lot cheaper than building new ones.
                        By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Working...
                        X