Infogrames Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infogrames Forum

Since when have you had to register to VIEW posts? Anyone know anything about this?

The forum performance has been awful lately. Perhaps they see this as one measure that might help improve it? I've come across other forums with this sort of policy.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

When they were getting plagued with guest spammers on the Unreal Tournament 2003 forums, they changed it to where you HAD to register even to view the forums.

They also blocked most free email providers as valid email addresses with which to register, for similar reasons.

While these steps HAVE helped address the problem, apparently, it's also created a lot of hostility towards IG, especially in the other forums (like the MOO3) forums, who weren't the problem but were nevertheless made to suffer by the solution.
      Xentax@nc.rr.com

Comment

when i registered a couple months ago, (back in early october?) i had to register to view the forums, so longer back than that.

back when civ3 first came out, apolyton had the same thing set up btw

Comment

Strangely enough I am still able to view the forae, and I havent registered
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Yeah once back a few months ago I had the same problem.. but then all of a sudden it went away and I could see the forums again. I thought they had repealed the decision or something. I think the policy is fundamentally lacking anyway. How is it that a spammer causes a disruption by VIEWING the forums? ..and the fact that any persistant spammer could easily circumvent this. I think it would be sufficient just to keep us from posting like anywhere else.

Anyway. Like I said this is easy to get around. There is no way they can block all the myriads of free addresses. I myself am setting up some addresses through BBSs. Any spammer could do this and get loads of free, unique addresses. I just feel indignant that I`ve had to resort to it myself.

Comment

Working...
            X