X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Of Orion On Windows 2000

Hey, guys.

Have a big favor to ask. I want to get the original
    Master of Orion (#1) to work on my computer. I have Windows 2000 on it. I have read John Sullivan's page and pretty much everyone else's offering advice and it seems to be sound, but my comp keeps saying not enough expanded memory.

I already know these things:

1) make separate config and autoexec files in moo directory and make pif point to em
    2) emm=RAM
    3) dos=high, umb
    4) devicehigh=c:.....himem.sys

i also rem most of the stuff in the modified autoexec. I tried not remming it and a hundred other combinations. There has to be a way to get the game to work.

I'm thinking I may need to install the original Dos 7.0 on a seprate drive to get some of my old favorite games to work. Does anyone have it?

There's a cool, custom-made wallpaper in it for ya which contains the characters from some of the best games of all time.

These are in my opinion:

1) Star Control II
    2) Start Trek Armada
    3) Master of Orion
    4) Alien Syndrome (8-bit Sega)
    5) Space Harrier (8-bit Sega)
    6) Phantasy Star (8-bit Sega; only Darkfalz still seems cool now)
    7) Wing Commander II
    8) X-com
    9) Creature Shock
    10) Thunder Force III

In no particular order. Did I leave anything out?

I never had DOS passed 6.22, which I no loner have. I would say to do a Google search for Dos or a one of those other Dos opsys. Moo only requires 3.3 or higher.

Comment

Thx. I'll try it.

Comment

MOO in win2k

To get MOO1 to work under windows 2000, just make a shortcut to Orion.exe, then under the memory properties, set EMS to auto. You will have to disable sound in the MOO installer.

If you really want sound, go install VDMSound, then run orion with VDMsound turned on.

Comment

I tried it but it doesn't work.

It runs on DoxBox Ver 0.56 but with colors screwed up and no sound even with VDMSound.

Comment

You don't need vdmsound in dosbox, the code is already patched into the emulator.
            Use the right soundblaster settings, and you will get sound.
            I had better luck with v0.55 than 0.56, but as always, YMMV.

C.

Comment

Working...
            X