Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My theory about MP and where game companies are mistaken

Hey,

As you read this, keep in mind that I have NEVER played an MP game of Civ etc...

I think that it boils down to game TBS companies thinking that they MUST include MP because of the WILD success of RTS MP.

But, and please correct me if i'm wrong, RTS MP is a fairly fast moving game that keeps you actually PLAYING the game in a reasonable time. You can spend all of your game playing time with an RTS game in MP and satisfy your urge to play the game.

For TBS games, MP takes much longer. Now, I am sure MP is fun, playing against another human always is, but anyone who wants to actually PLAY Civ 3 or any other TBS game needs to play SP. That's just the nature of the game. (I don't know if IG was successful with their "turnless" mode for Civ3, but nice theory).

I bet that many players who enjoy MP for Civ 3 or other TBS games also play SP games of the same title while they wait for their next turn in the MP game.

This is why I think that MP for turn based games should be a patch or even an add on pack. Because unless you get a group together on a LAN and play all night, keeping things moving, you will never get full enjoyment from the game.

AND!!!!! I think that MP is wonderful, playing another person can give enjoyment that no AI can match.

I just think that MP needs to be treated differently for TBS games.

Sorry if you've heard me say this in another post.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Oh, by the way!!

I want to point out that many of the initial complaints with Civ 3 were about the absurdly long wait times between turns....

as much as 20 minutes.....

and I would say that is fast compared to what the wait time would be for an MP game.

MP anyone?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

No thanks, not with MoO, but if you're after a SMAXing ?

Very few TBS games make it in MP, but SMAC is one of them, but you're right, you have to be VERY PATIENT !

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I've seen several references to SMAC but I have no idea what it is. Can someone fill me in?

Comment

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Comment

Different players have different tastes. I'm planning on purchasing MOO3 solely for multi-player. I will play through a single player game to learn the mechanics and then will be solely an MP player. Hope to see you in MP

Comment

Civ 3 multiplayer was sold as an expansion. If your not interested in playing against another human, you don't have to buy the expansion.

Comment

I read somewhere about a survey that showed that most gamers never played a single game of multiplay while at the same time most gamers consider the existens of multiplay important when buying a game.

I think more players use the multiplay feature now though, when more people have access to ADSL and LAN.

Comment

The only multiplay I did in civ-like games was hotseat, which is out of MoO. Too bad, hotseat is very good for designing strategies (play against yourself to see how start one plays against strat2). Without easy access to internet play like Blizzard provides (battle.net), multiplay for a game will always be restricted to a minority.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I only play RT games MP. Neverwinter Nights, for instance, is an absolute blast in MP and only a so-so game SP. They could ship Moo3 w/out MP for all I care. Still, it's nice to have the option, should I ever have a year or so of free time on my hands
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Where did the poll come from - Battle.net or Gameplanet or something? You also have to realize not everyone participates in the surveys! I myself never play multiplayer.

Comment

Hmm, the way I see it is that MP is the biggest threat to decent 4x games in the future. Programmers are now spending so much time on the technical aspect of making multiplayer work, that I think the rest of the game will either be overlooked, or dumbed down.

The best multiplayer games were the ones that used hot seat, and therefore utilised the game as a whole.

You only have to look at PTW. A rather ****e attempt at multi player, when they should have used the release to enhanse the games single player. Instead all we get is a couple of ****ty buildings and untits, and still no proper scripting.

To be a great game, MOO3 will have to be a great 1 player game first. If they get this bit right, then they can do what they want for the multiplayer part, or else Im back to playing Stars!
                        The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Originally posted by Destroyer
                          untits
                          ????
                          The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Working...
                          X