Getting MOO Sound in Windows 2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting MOO Sound in Windows 2K

I recently got MOO and I'm playing it on Windows 2000 Professional. It works ok, but only if I choose either 'no sound' or 'IBM speaker' when I configure the hardware options. If I try any of the other sound cards (Soundblaster, etc) the game won't run, telling me to reconfigure hardware when I try to load it.

Does anyone know how to get MOO to recognise my sound card?

Thanks.

Only way I ever get it to work is to say I have a SB and ue 220 irq 5 drq 1.

Comment

VDMSound

To make DOS games have sound under Windows 2K and other OSes, you need a Soundblast emulator like VDMSound (VDM stands for Virtual DOS machine)

It can be found here:

http://ntvdm.cjb.net

Good luck with it
      Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

PLEASE HELP!!

Grinningman, since u got it to work under Windows 2000, can u tell me how to do it? I think I tried a hundred different ways with no luck.

Comment

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I'll try a Soundblaster emulator. Although I've found that MOO is heaps of fun to play, even with no sound. Everything seemed very straightforward when I first played it, but I keep discovering more layers of complexity. The only other turn based space strategy game I've played is Star Wars Rebellion. Now I'm embarassed I actually paid money for that game

Demosthenes321: To get MOO working under Windows 2000 Professional I did the following:

- Put all the MOO files into a folder in the hard drive.

- Made a shortcut on the desktop to orion.exe.

- Right clicked on the shortcut and opened one of the tabs.... the memory tab, I think. In this tab there was the option to allocate expanded memory when you run orion.exe. I selected 2048k of expanded memory.

As long as I start MOO through the desktop shortcut, it runs fine. Of course, as I said in the top message, it will only run if I also configure the sound options to IBM speaker and no speech using install.exe.

I hope this helps.
          Last edited by grinningman; December 12, 2002, 02:01.

Comment

1.Install VDMSound 2.0.4
            2.Right click on install.exe with the option 'Run with VDMS'
            3.Configure digital sound at IRQ7, DMA1, A220 - Sound Blaster Pro (Later)
            4.Configure music at Sound Blaster Pro (Later)
            or General MIDI at port 330
            5.Right click on ORION.EXE with the option 'run with VDMS'
            Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

Working...
            X