No announcement yet.

MOM2? (forgive the off topic thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget what is in the Plat set, does it have Homm1,2,3,4? If so I would suggest Homm3 first. I still love Hom2, but some will find the graphics too old. If you enjoy III, then you can go back to II and save IV for last. Homm4 departs from the rest by using the hero in the combat directly.
    I prefer the campaigns, so I start with them.
    Homm3 had three pieces, RoE the original game, AB th first add on and then SoD.
    Restoration Of Erathia
    Armaggedeons Blade
    Shadow Of Death.
    Homm2 had The Succession Wars and The Price Of Loyalty
    IMO Homm1 is no longer worth playing (do not shoot).
    IV has come out with The Gathering Storm addon and will soon be dropping the second one.
    Many great web sites for Heroes exist.

Comment

Thanks for the advise!

Platinum includes all the old HoMMs, that is, not IV.
      Just
      HoMM
      HoMM II + addon
      HoMM III + 2 addons

Had not been for you I'd have gone in the order, thinking that experience with the older games could have made sense before getting to the newer...
      Now instead I guess I'll begin with the most up-to-date as you suggest, and bactrack for historical purposes and completeness sake.

I thought to have read that some player rated HoMM II much above the #III...
      You know, I STILL enjoy playing MoM, so old graphics is absolutely NOT and issue for me
      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I have many old games and play them as Mom, Moo, Alien Legacy, Ascendancy and so on.
        I am not sure where II rates vs III for most, but I would submit that III is a big improvement.
        I played the heck out of II and downloaded several hundred maps for it, I still play it at least once a month. I love it and all that, but I suspect those that prefer it are letting nostalgia get in the way. I understand that, I have that feeling when I fire it up and see those old golems and hear the sounds.

Comment

ALIEN LEGACY!

I STILL have it installed on my DOS partition along with MoM & Machiavelli!

I got to the point where the aliens hurled themselves into the sun, and never bactracked to solve the adventure (as I had to begin a serious working life around at the time...).

I tried to give it another go recently, but the exploration part is too stupid for current days, and even at speed 1 the game suffers a bit from the PC being too fast, especially in the colony interaction...
          A wonderful mix of a resource-managing RTS with a space-adventure game, in my memories.

Mark, I didn't start this thread, but seeing as how I'm using it to talk about every game except MoO, it could be worth to move it to Other Games, thanks
          I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

It plays fine in XP for me. I finished it twice, but now I usually stop once I start the research lab over the gas giant. It is a major paint to keep it supplied. It is more a nostalgic run for me from time to time.

Comment

If your looking for MOM2 go find yourself a copy of Lords Of Magic at your local BestBuy store.

I always Loved MOM, just as much if not more so then MOO1/2. I can't tell you how many times in highschool we traded the install disc amongst my friends.

LOM is basically an unofficial MOM2. Everything is there, multiple Magic schools, a great many different spells, city building, troop building, summoned creatures. Just updated with a new sort of 3D graphics. Only thing, its not really great, and since it was made a few years back, it is getting outdated. But if you are in a real Fix for some MOM action, (boy does that sound wrong) go check out LOM.

Comment

Working...
              X