Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOO1: has anyone ever found the derelict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO1: has anyone ever found the derelict?

I've been playing MOO again lately, and the random events are, as usual, killing me. The attempted assassination one always seems to happen to me after I've spent the whole game cultivating one of the AIs (and usually right before a galactic council vote). The one that really annoys me, though, is the ancient derelict. I've played well over a hundred games, but I've never had this event happen to me. Although it's not in the (otherwise amazingly comprehensive) strategy guide, I've come to believe that this event can't happen to a human player. Has anyone else ever had a game where they found the derelict?

I've found a derelect a few times.
    Of course, if I remember correctly it was just "announced" that I found it on the GNN.

Comment

Never have.

Comment

I have once or twice, but not recently

That is back when I was originally playing the game in about oh 1996, I found it a few times. I haven't found one since I picked it back up this month while trying to take my mind off of moo3

Comment

Aren't random events effected by how well you are doing in the game? Like, good things happen to players that are behind, and bad things happen to the one who is ahead.

Maybe you are always winning, so you don't get the really good events.

I myself always turn random events off. Some are ok, and even fun. However, there are some that really ruin the fun for me, so I turn it off.
          Good = Love, Love = Good
          Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

It seems that way, don't know if it is or just coincidence. I often play with them off as they are mostly boring after seeing them so many times.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've found derelicts several times.
              IIRC, the first race to visit an artifact system will always discover a tech buried in the sand.
              Better send those scouts out fast.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by nato
                Aren't random events effected by how well you are doing in the game? Like, good things happen to players that are behind, and bad things happen to the one who is ahead.

Maybe you are always winning, so you don't get the really good events.
                According to the strategy guide, probability of random events is based on the ratio between the square of empire's total production. So if the AIs have twice my production, I'm 1/4 as likely to get a bad event and four times more likely to get a good event. Since I always play hard or impossible, I don't catch up on production until well into the game.

Originally posted by catullus
                IIRC, the first race to visit an artifact system will always discover a tech buried in the sand.
                Not the same thing as the ancient derelict. The derelict is a once per game event, which can yield up to ten techs instead of just one.

Comment

Not the same thing as the ancient derelict. The derelict is a once per game event, which can yield up to ten techs instead of just one.
                  Ah, that one. I always wondered about those messages. Don't think I ever had one happening to myself.

C.

Comment

I seem to remember getting the ancient derelict once or twice. I wasn't that great at playing, was generally behind the AI (on a very low level game), so that probably qualified me for getting a "helping hand" from the game events.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV
                      10?

In that case, can't say I have ever seen it.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by nato
                        Yesterday I run a test game. Only me (human) and the Klackons in a Huge Galaxy... Very early in the game (i only had 2 planets) I got the Start going Supernova for Sol... I could not invent the solar rejuvenator since my 2nd planet did not give enough reserve to double Sol's science output. So I would not say, that bad things happen to those who are ahead. I think, that of course bigger players get more events.

The derelict? I can't remember of ever having found it.

Comment

Working...
                        X