Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Declared War" (Recent Foriegn Office Screen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Declared War" (Recent Foriegn Office Screen)

Hey all,

I've never played a MOO game, but MOO3 looks amazing. I haven't been following ti very closely (i'm drooling over the oncomming PTW right now), but I've checked the site with some frequency.

Anyway, in the new "Foriegn Office" screen, one of the diplomatic states is "Declared War". This leads me to believe that some sort of attacks can be made without openly declaring war... if so, what sort of attacks are possible?

In an old game called Ascendancy, you could attack opponents ships without declaring war, but after enough times they figured out what was going on and fired back. Is it something like that? or is it more of a "diplomatic war" type of suitation?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I think there's a state short of war where any ships of that empire would be attacked *if they entered your space*, but you can't go "on the offensive" without it changing to a declared war.

Sort of a "cold war" state, I suppose...
    Xentax@nc.rr.com

Comment

Ascendancy, I still play it from time to time.

Comment

I loved the special weapons in Ascendancy that made space combat much more interesting than just firing missiles and lasers. A shame that the AI was so crashingly dumb.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

True and it was the first space game with cool battle sounds and allowed ship upgrades. The ai was/is the weakest.

Comment

I think it's also possible to subsidize pirats in your opponent's systems.

Also, I'd like to know if there still are "Limited War", "Total War" and "Holy War", or if they have all been replaced by "Declared War" ?
            From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

I believe there's "Limited" vs. "Total" war; I don't know if there's an even higher category beyond "Total" anymore, though.
              Xentax@nc.rr.com

Comment

Ascend was a great game. i remember building small quick ships late in the game and using the "star gravitation" or whatever, making the sun grow large, and pulling all ships to the center.

then i'd use the self destruct BWAAAHAHAHA.

now THAT should be multiplayer.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

You're evil, Uber
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

Ascendancy is only PC game, which had aliens which realy looked like aliens (not like men in the siut).

P.S.
                    The only probelm with that game was very weak AI.

Comment

Last time I checked the three wars (after the cut of the ethos system holy war was taken out). Thy are border war, limited war, and total war.

And yes you can attack when in a state of peace, it will just probably make them declare war on you.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how far you can go in attacking ships before another empire declares war. After all, simply attacking (or even destroying) a ship doesn't garuntee a declaration of war.
                        Graduate of the "It seemed like a Good Idea at the time" School of Military Science

Comment

I like the idea of being able to declare your borders inviolate and attack anyone found inside your space. Its quite a reasonable position for xenophobes like the Silicoids to take. They don't want outsiders in their space, so they'll shoot first and ask questions later.

If there aren't too many consequences to taking that position regularly, I might just go to that level and leave it that way. I hate others in my space.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleyn
                            I like the idea of being able to declare your borders inviolate and attack anyone found inside your space. Its quite a reasonable position for xenophobes like the Silicoids to take. They don't want outsiders in their space, so they'll shoot first and ask questions later.

If there aren't too many consequences to taking that position regularly, I might just go to that level and leave it that way. I hate others in my space.
                            Heh, one of my biggest problems with Civ 3 is the ease at which other nations violate your teritory. I'd really enjoy being able to draw a 'line of death' in the sand. If they cross it, they die. No questions asked.

Comment

Yes ther's little point in having borders if they can be violated with impunity and you become the aggressor for defending them.
                              H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                              X