Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoO for WinXP

Howdy folks,

Just found you guys....I'm trying to play MoO on my WinXP box and not having much luck....I have it on my Mac and LOVE the game but since I don't have that machine up right now, I've been seriously jonseing....Help! I downloaded the game but when I try to install it I get the message that it wants me to install it from a disk (?)...Any suggestions would be much appreciated...

Jon

I used to see this from time to time in Win98. In XP, I just made a short cut to the install.exe and it worked fine.

Comment

Thanks, but...

That didn't seem to do it...It says I need an EMS driver (?)...Please pardon the plethora of ignorant questions....I don't have a whole lot of experience with installing older games....It still wants me to insert disk 1 in drive A

Jon

Comment

Right click on the executable, select properties, Memory, and give the program some EMS memory. I think Orion wants 4. To be safe, give it 8. It should run no problem, now.

Comment

Sorry I mied this post some how. In mine, I made a short cut to the orion.exe. Right click on the short cut and select properties. In the pull down tab for EMS select 2048.

Comment

I've been trying to get this to work as well with no luck. Here's my system specs:

CPU: Athlon XP 1800
            Motherboard: ABit AT7 MAX
            RAM: 512MB of PC2700
            Soundcard: Philips Acoustic Edge

I installed the game and set it up for no sound.

No matter what I do I keep getting the same error message: "You must have at least 1024K of expanded memory". I've tried right clicking on the shortcut (PIF file) and setting EMS memory at different things but I still get the same result. When I run install.exe I get an error message telling me that I don't have an EMS driver loaded even though I added the line EMS=RAM to my config.nt.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? It seems like my editing of the memory info in the pif file isn't having any effect at all. Do I need to do something else to get it to load high memory or something? I've never run a dos game before on XP so maybe I'm missing something here.

Thanks.

Whoster

Comment

I have it running on XP PRO. First with out any patches and then with the fixes.
              I looked at the install short cut and the install,ex and they are not modified by me, they have none for EMS.
              Same for Orion.exe and they do not use modified NT.
              The short cut I made for Orion has Auto for conventional, 2048 for EMS, none for XMS and auto for the last one. No NT changes.
              So I made a short cut to the install and let it rip. I made a short cut to Orion and changed the EMS, nothing to load and driver as XP should handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                I have it running on XP PRO. First with out any patches and then with the fixes.
                I looked at the install short cut and the install,ex and they are not modified by me, they have none for EMS.
                Same for Orion.exe and they do not use modified NT.
                The short cut I made for Orion has Auto for conventional, 2048 for EMS, none for XMS and auto for the last one. No NT changes.
                So I made a short cut to the install and let it rip. I made a short cut to Orion and changed the EMS, nothing to load and driver as XP should handle that.
                Thanks for the tips but when I tried what you suggested I still got the same error telling me I need 1024 of EMS...

Any other ideas? I'm beginning to think it's not loading an EMS driver.

Comment

I tried this on Win2K Pro and it doesn't work. I don't think it has an EMM emulator (like EMM386.exe). The MEM command from the command line also doesn't show any expanded memory, no matter what the settings are, and regardless of configuration in config.nt. I am beginning to think that this only works in XP.
                  Become a vampire today!

Comment

Originally posted by granid
                    I tried this on Win2K Pro and it doesn't work. I don't think it has an EMM emulator (like EMM386.exe). The MEM command from the command line also doesn't show any expanded memory, no matter what the settings are, and regardless of configuration in config.nt. I am beginning to think that this only works in XP.
                    I'm using XP Pro. It doesn't work there.

Comment

Maybe it doesn't work on the "Pro" versions?
                      Become a vampire today!

Comment

Originally posted by granid
                        Maybe it doesn't work on the "Pro" versions?
                        I'd be curious as to why. For example, if the pro versions don't have an EMS manager, then why do we have that option? You could be right. It wouldn't be the first time Micosoft has done something stupid like this.

Comment

There seem to be a couple other threads with folks succeeding to run under Win2k/XP. It looks like the trick is to use some kind of emulator like DosBox or VDMS. Check out the guy with the nice desktop screenshot.
                          Become a vampire today!

Comment

I've made a discovery. When I couldn't get this to run on my Athlon XP 1800 I tried it on my wife's old Pentium II 333 and it worked FINE!

I suspect that the Athlon is too fast for the game or something like that. I was able to get sound effects and the game ran (kind of jerkily at times). Then with VDM sound I was able to get music (MIDI) to work as well. Again, it was kind of jerky in parts but it does work!

My wife's machine is also running Windows XP Pro, so that wasn't part of the problem.

Comment

Glad you have it running
                              Become a vampire today!

Comment

Working...
                              X