Before turn 130
    0.00%
    Before turn 120
    8.33%
    Before turn 110
    0.00%
    Before Turn 100 !!! Tell Me How !
    16.67%

Can't say as I play on those setting. I am not sure if you can rely on anything anyone says on the web unless they they give details to be verified (hum trust but verify). So I do not know if a poll is valid, but it may be interesting. I see all kinds of post (not here) about winning at impossible level in a given size in so many turns, using some set of traits, that can not be duplicated. I did find one post that showed major milestones up to turn 190 and it was exactly accurate and reproducable. Anyway, I do not want to go after Orion untill Plasma Cannons are researched. I am in no hurry to finish the game and end it before I have done all the tech tree.

Comment

u cant realy say someone is 'good' in moo2, since even a trained chimp could take orion early with 2 EMG mercs battleships if he uses a decent race, has some planets for housingcolonies and does the refit empty frigate trick every turn, but it is just no fun, when i play moo2 i want to evolve my race and fight hightech spacebattles.
      taking orion early and leveling the entire map with the avenger is imo as cheap as is the refit frigate trick.

Comment

What refit frigate trick?
        Please, do tell!
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

That is one point. Many people cheat like crazy and then crow about how they did this or that. I see all kinds of post about non creative races doing stuff by 100 or so turns. On imposible maps if you play straight, you can not do them.
          The refit deal is : if you build something and it finishes with out using all of the production, the unused productions stays until you post trade goods to collect it. I you build such an item, and then put say an empty frigate in to be refitted then each turn put it back in the que to be refit, the production will just build up. You can generate tons of BC's this way. At least that is what I have heard, I have not tried it. It is some what like what happens if you add an item to the build each time it finsihes that last item, you get the left over used for the next item, a bug, a cheat. Most MP leagues use Housing to prevent it. If you add Housing to the bottom of the queue and never remove it, that stops it. To me if one plays that way, then why not just save all the labor and use an editor to give your self the money, what is the difference? It is not proper. I suspect many of the post I use to see boasting about this or that, used these tricks. It does not take much to see the ones that are actually earning their way.
          Last edited by vmxa1; June 16, 2002, 22:25.

Comment

I see there is someone else as 1337 as me!

I take over 150 turns to do that. I like taking my time, and generally suck at building up fast
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Oh that cheat! Hey, you don't need a frigate to do that. Any building/ship/spy can make you earn some extra BCs!
              So yes, you should always put housing in the bottom of every queue. Even below *Repeat*!
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

That's a cheat?!

I always thought that production was supposed to carry over to the next item (like reasearch points in Civ2). This is the first time I've heard it refered to as a bug.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The best place to research Moo2 strategy is at Geoffery Tobin's
                  ZOETROPE site. Here is the link
                  http://www.sff.net/people/zoetrope/
                  Click on the FTP downloads section
                  You'll find archives from SFF net's moo2 strategy boards which were active when the game was new. There are literally thousands of pages of stuff there, including blitz tactics that can win the game against the AI in around 100 turns, and in depth Guardian tips. Also scenarios, mods, and editors. It's a goldmine.

Comment

True, it does not have to be a frigate, that was chosen as it is the one of the cheapest items that can be used.

Comment

I apparently suck at this game. I seem to like building rather than killing. I'm trying to change my ways though.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Me too, I prefer to build. That works fine at Hard, but at impossible it makes it a hard road to travel, at least in Prewarp. Non creative Prewarp causes you to not have so many things, that you need to go after people and soon.

Comment

Like most other 4x games, early war really is the key to quick, decisive victories. Still, with Moo2 you can happily build your way to victory even om Imp, while I don't think a peaceful builder has a chance at all above monarch in Civ3.

Another reason Moo2 rocks!
                          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

I agree with you Moom. I played all the way to Deity on Civ3 and ran into all the patches and it can be rough trying to build unless you have a unique location. At the highest levels the AI starts with so many extra units, you have to cut them down ASAP. It is like Moo2 in that if the AI sees you as weak, it is all over you demanding and attacking.

Comment

Yeah, exactly. I'm not sure I like the idea that the AI knows my strength level or that I know his. I've noticed that in Moo2, once you make contact with another race, you know the location of all of his planets whether they are in your "range" of not. Sometimes I wish there was a little more fog of war in both respects.
                              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X