Is MOO3 going down the drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MOO3 going down the drain?

Quicksilver seems to have made an astounding number of bad desicions lately, both relating to the actual game and to the staff/volunteers.

Will MOO3 be another CIV3 fiasco?
    Yes
    48.72%
    No
    35.90%
    Not if the ship the game in banana boxes
    15.38%
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

No it won't.

Why?

Because they will try to FINISH the game.

Firaxis was in same situation.

Infogrames said: "If you want delay pay it yourself!"

But they choosed not to spend money, so they cut as much as possibie, and relase one very buggy game. (at least patches helped)

QS choosed another way, lets try to release game in 3 months, we will PAY for that. But there is a probelm 3 months are NOT enough to finish and polish our amibitious design. (we were a little slow and overambitious)
    Then lets make it shorther a little.
    "You! You don't agree. Then you don't need to work in here anymore.
    Lead designer or not."

Conclusion:
    MOO3 will be finished game, but won't be tha same game about which we read in data dumps.
    It still could be succes.
    Regradless of some bad personell (we'll miss you Alan) and game mechnic decisions (not all of game mecnioc decisions are bad if you ask me).
    Last edited by player1; April 17, 2002, 04:27.

Comment

I hope you´re right. There´s waay to much crap out there already...
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think we can tell yet. I'm taking a wait and see attitude.
        "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners." - Edward Abbey
        http://www.anarchyfaq.org

Comment

I think the real crapper is that Infogrames doesn't seem to understand what a big title MoO3 is!

Not every game has such a following. But titles like Doom and Quake and CIV and other big name games have such a huge following (and are larger than life itself), that a little care needs to be taken so the fans aren't put off with rushed and buggy programs.

What don't they get about that?

Comment

I have a slightly different take than you do, player1.

I agree that the delay is costing QS. I think the layoffs are a desperate effort to fund that delay. Seems to me that if a few months salary of your lead designer is enough to make the cut for, the game is in BIG trouble and bids fair to end up as vaporware.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose
              I have a slightly different take than you do, player1.

I agree that the delay is costing QS. I think the layoffs are a desperate effort to fund that delay. Seems to me that if a few months salary of your lead designer is enough to make the cut for, the game is in BIG trouble and bids fair to end up as vaporware.
              Yes, Alan is great designer, but I don't think that his layoff will effect MOO3 any more then we have alredy seen (no IFP, different science method, etc...)

And you know what?

Those chages are NOT so bad.

Could be better by keeping science model, but that's only thing I miss.
              Maybe if IFP is converted in some sort of HFOG penality.

Comment

P1 - I think what Mongoose was trying to say is that MOO3 may be so buggered up that QS might not have the resources to finish the game, or at least properly. If QS is strapped for cash, the motivation goes from creating a great game to creating A game - now. The longer it takes, the more money goes down the tubes. Something tells me that the features that will make the final cut will be based much more on length of coding and ease of implementation rather than gameplay value.

Comment

Of course we don't really know, but I have never never never come across a game that has had this much bad publicity at this stage of its production, nor yet this level of high-profile staff changes.

MAYBE the bad publicity is just media hype. MAYBE the staff changes are all just natural design-to-testing-changes-which-always- happen-at-this-stage-in-the-production- cycle-of-a-game as it is claimed.

But at the end of the day, I just follow my gut instincts. Not a reliable system by any measure: but I just feel that MOO3 is losing it. And given the way I now feel, I will not pay my money until at least six months after it is released, and then only if there have been uniformly positive reviews by its players.
                  At the very least, there has been a serious PR failure here.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                    Maybe if IFP is converted in some sort of HFOG penality.
                    Finally, ladies and gentleman, we have a contender who confesses to liking Civ3 city corruption!
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper
                      Finally, ladies and gentleman, we have a contender who confesses to liking Civ3 city corruption!
                      Hmm, you realy DON"T understand HFOG system.

Do you?

If you micormanage too much, less effectiveness.
                      If you macromanage, then LESS corruption.

If only someting like that could exsist in Civ3.

Comment

It does - the fewer cities you have the less need to micromanage. I still think HFoG is going to be extremely similar to corruption and that many will complain that it has too great an effect (because for some reason everyone likes ordering each individual peon) which may result in many measures lessening the effects of HFoG.
                        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                        New faces...Strange places,
                        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by MacTBone
                          It does - the fewer cities you have the less need to micromanage. I still think HFoG is going to be extremely similar to corruption and that many will complain that it has too great an effect (because for some reason everyone likes ordering each individual peon) which may result in many measures lessening the effects of HFoG.
                          But if you could say (in Civ3):
                          Governor, build often this, build never that, and GET 50% REDUCED corruption.

That would be great!

P.S.
                          In Civ3, you get NOTHING for "not orderning every single peon".

Comment

Originally posted by player1

> Hmm, you realy DON"T understand HFOG system.
                            Only too well, grasshopper. I understand how HFOG will turn out very well thankyouverymuch.

The more you conquer, the less you will be able to undo moronic govenor production without incuring humongous corruption all over your empire. This is called incentive. It's allready in place in Civ3, although, admittedly, you don't have the option of ameliorating it by happily accepting the latest addition to your privateer fleet.

And this is what we will get instead of the IFP concept. For shame!
                            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

bah

Why dont these game companies get real publishers/writers like Squaresoft or something I never even heard of Infrograhamcrackers until civ3 came out. These crappy software engineers and little broke publishers are pissing me off cuz they are screwing sequels to games I loved.

Comment

Working...
                              X