Get real people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get real people

So a guy got laid off (and you have my sympathy) and someone got booted from a chat room. That hardly justifies the reaction I've seen on this board.
    I hardly think that one person getting laid off is going to ruin the game. that is just a kind of vanity. i'm sure you made some good contributions but it is ridiculous to say its all going to fall apart without you.
    there are realities in this world we live in people. the games industry is terribly competitive. we should think positively about the extra time moo3 is taking. this is the opposite problem that civ3 had. oh well, i guess you can't make people happy no matter what.

as for the chat room thing, well that is kind of silly.

anyway, i'm basted and ready to go

don't expect any response for a few days as i don't come here often

Yes, but the problem is QS is axing people left and right and pissing off people who complain about something... the question is how will they respond to testers who complain?

Furthermore, it seems like Infogrames has gotten their claws into them and are set to ruin another 4x franchise (though I think Civ3 wasn't that bad).

Add to that, they've cut IFP, which seemed to be an integral part of the game. What else will they cut? Ethos seemed to me the best part, but they cut that out early.

From being someone who was going to wait for the reviews... I'm still going to do that... but I'm much warier... and any game made under Infogrames is going to get much scrutiny from me.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

look around... people are getting laid off everywhere. QS wants to make money on this (and i hope they do...) ... more time + same costs = cutting day by day costs. that is the rule here.

i don't think QS has been acting badly. on the other hand they are being awesome about feedback. this kind of craziness about little things will only turn off companies from communicating with their "fanboys".

why can't people just give it a rest? stop drinking the coffee or snorting amphetimenes and take things as they come... (OK sorry bout that one )

I'm gonna buy the game when it comes out. Hell yeah I am... it looks awesome!

And one more thing about CIV3. It disappointed me but I still got many hours of enjoyment before it got old. It was cheaper than a movie on an hour by hour basis.

tleilaxu out

Comment

and by the way hong kong has 7% unemployment right now

that is incredibly high. I've had to give money to my people. That is just the way the world is. Game Designing is a fun and desirable job. It is also a vicious markey. I wouldn't expect to work for one company for my whole career... damm look at Richard Garriot... he got booted from the company he started out of his closet! (literally)

Comment

i'm happy with the games progress but a bit unsure about the senior managers(or infrogrammes) taking over and laying off staff,
          but the game, i'll be happy with an update of moo2 with cool space battles

but thats probly just me
          [wheres the looking simple smiley? will do then]
          Just my 2p.
          Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
          Which shows you learn something every day.
          formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Tleilaxu, I ask you to point to anyplace where I've said (to quote your message), that "it's all going to fall apart without me". If anything, I'm doubtful that my continued presence would "save the game" or any such. The people making the decisions are well above where I was in the power structure, as I've indicated previously. Rantz's and Cory's comments indicate clearly that such matters are routinely being taken OUT of the hands of the people who did the design.

The closest I came was when someone asked me what further contributions I would have been able to make, which question I answered honestly. I can just as easily point you to a statement I made indicating that the game might still turn out okay.

If you want to criticize me for something I actually said, be my guest...but don't go making things up. I think I've put more effort into being honest with the people on this board than that.
            If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by tleilaxu
              and by the way hong kong has 7% unemployment right now

that is incredibly high.
              That's not high. Argentina has 25% unemployment. THAT's incredibly high unemployment.

As for MOO3 before the latest craziness I was guarenteed to buy this game. Now I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. It looks like Infogreed may have performed a coup d'etat and who knows if a good game will come out of this.
              "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners." - Edward Abbey
              http://www.anarchyfaq.org

Comment

Well, I can live with the release delay and I guess that unfortunately seems to go hand in hand with axing a few of the team.
                The loss of IFP's and late game balancing/implementing changes should also be expected as they tweak the gameplay and add the spit'n'polish. I was never a fan of IFP's and won't miss that part of the system.
                Having Sencho canned and the Designer himself restricted though worry me. Especially over such seemingly small details. It makes it seem as though somebody's hiding something which may not end up in the open until after the release.
                Harel/Envoy (?) have also been mentioned as being out/on the way out. Again, reasons?
                Maybe it isn't such a big deal at the moment with the release still several months off but if this continues, people in the know not able to voice even slightly negative opinions regarding changes, compromises, etc, the fan base will end up severely eroded and QS/IG can expect it to affect their profit margin...
                Take heed IG. If you screw up Moo3 as much as you did Civ3 there won't be any coming back from it.
                Look what happened to Activision...

I've gone from pretty enthusiastic over Moo3 to pretty wary.

Comment

It sure does! It looks like it's going to have much better graphics than MOO2!
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Increasing the resolution would be a great improvement on its own. I played MOO2 on a 14 inch monitor. With a 19 inch monitor now that 640x480 would be annoying.

Ascendency had better graphics than MOO2 and vastly better sound. The game was lousy anyway. Its use of star gates was a major problem along with the brain dead AI. On larger maps I was always fighting with exceedingly obsolete hardware and the stuff had to been sent back half way to the core to be repaired.

Comment

QS is acting in a predictable way. I think bashing them is insane. I really enjoyed having StormHound here, and am sad that he's been laid off. Sencho's case looks like a bunch of managers overreacting because their fans got overreacting too.
                      As for setting designers away, that is understandable because the designers are too much inside the project, they are the most prone to be subjective, and they may not be the best persons to playtest or decide what needs cutting. They may also insist (and be right) on the fact that something can be real fun to play if they get the chance to fine tune it (I am thinking IFPs here). The problem is they don't have enough dollars to get the fine tuning done. But they still try to tune the game. They don't release it too early. They don't release an unfinished product now. Who praises them for that? Sencho and Stormhound are much more reasonable than many people in their reaction. They still hope the product will be good. I hope that too, and can't see why it wouldn't be the best turn based strategy game released yet, even with all the cuts.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

lol

-m

Originally posted by loinburger

It sure does! It looks like it's going to have much better graphics than MOO2!
                        "I am Misantropos, and hate Mankinde."
                        - Timon of Athens
                        "I know you all."
                        - Prince Hal

Comment

Curiously, what in particular attracts you it at this point?

-m
                          "I am Misantropos, and hate Mankinde."
                          - Timon of Athens
                          "I know you all."
                          - Prince Hal

Comment

Working...
                          X