Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cory Nelson: Recent Decision & Sencho's case

Everyone,

Please understand. Quicksilver is a company. We love to listen to the fans and want nothing more than to make great games. We do however have decisions that need to be made as a company and not based on popular opinion.

The structure on the project has always been that our design team creates the design and our senior management team works with the programmers to implement things so that it'll all work. If things don't look like they're heading in the right direction we're also the ones that look for solutions and occassionally that means us stepping in and adjusting the design. That hasn't changed. It's been the structure of the the project since the beginning.

We've made some decisions lately on the design direction of the game and we do understand that those decisions may be unpopular. But realize that you have not seen the game, we have seen it and have made those decisions based on what we saw. We're not making the decisions to upset everyone, we're making them so that when it ships the game is fun.

When we made the announcements internally the overwhelming response from the folks internally who have seen and played the game were 'It's about time.'. When we announced it on the boards the response (for the most part) was 'How dare they mess with the design.'.

We've been overly public with our design and quite frankly the reaction everytime any changes are announced makes us question that decision. Give us some time and we'll give you the details, in the meantime we're still working them out so be patient. We're hoping to release the bulk the updates this next week.

For those who think that changes this late in the project spell doom don't worry. The reason changes this large don't usually occur this late is because the publisher usually just kicks it out the door instead of allowing the developer to work on it further and fix the areas that aren't fun. Be glad they're giving us that time because it'll create a better product.

Sometimes as a company we have to let people go. We understand that's unpopular, especially when it's someone who's very public and popular on the forums. It's also not something that any of us like to do. No matter how unpopular though we don't make decisions on who to hire or who to let go based on public opinion. It's a company decision that is made based on the good of the company as a whole.

As a company we also make decisions on who represents us on these boards. Again, it #### and we don't like to remove mod status from people or take people off the boards. As a company however sometimes we feel we have to make those decisions.

As for Alan not posting on the boards we all know that everyone is anxiously waiting for him to come back. I wish I could tell you when he'll be back but there's very little I can say that hasn't already been said.

In Sencho's case it's pretty clear that the things that let to his removal of moderator were unfortunate. We made our decision based on the information we had at the time but due to high tempers and everything else going on (extremely poor timing) things were interpreted a certain way. Based on conversations I've had with several of the other moderators it's clear that is not the way they were meant. I have sent an email to Sencho in the hopes of trying to work things out and we'll see if he'll reconsider coming back. Based on his recent posts it's doubtful he'll return but we shall see.

In the meantime. Understand that we are trying to get the design changes out to everyone as quickly as possible.

Cory Nelson, Producer
    Quicksilver Software, Inc.
    Hmm...

Sencho, they want you back.

Hey, Player1 - I think I speak for most Polytowners when I say thanks for bringing the relevant stuff over here.

Does anyone else think this would make a really good soap opera? Now all we need is a love interest...
    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
    New faces...Strange places,
    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

am i the only person that says:

hey QS ... don't listen to the bellyaching!

as long as you deliver that will be the only thing people care about

in the end

Comment

Hi

I can see both sides of the argument.... unfortunately the week proved very revealing...

I am willing to give QS until the end of the month to come clean with what they are doing to Alan's game.

Comment

Originally posted by tleilaxu
          am i the only person that says:

hey QS ... don't listen to the bellyaching!

as long as you deliver that will be the only thing people care about

in the end
          Yes, you are the only person. Getting to the finish line having run over the people that helped you get there is poor form. Will the game sell well? Probably. But people in this industry have long memories, and we remember when firms treat their people shoddily.

The ends do NOT justify the means. Mean people suck.

tmd

Comment

Let's approach these in order.

First off, regarding Moo3. I'll be honest. I don't think you can find a person out here who wants Moo3 to succeed more than I. If I didn't care about it, I wouldn't have been following it as long as I have.

Second, regarding the travesty taken against me. It seems the 'bashing of QS' which set the producer of Moo3 was a Moo3 Survivor poll I put up at a seperate forum. I grabbed four random names from Moo3's staff and threw them up there. As I'm a natural jokester, I didn't think there was anything negative about it. It seems I was quite mistaken. I'm curious if another poll I started regarding who at QS you'd most like to meet and talk too could also be construed in a negative light?

Thirdly, no attempt was made to ascertain what precisely was transpiring. A cursory glance was made, assumptions engaged, and judgement dispensed. I did have a chance to talk to Cory before this exploded and asked him three (3) times if I had done anything to cause concern. And Cory never answered.

Fourth, Cory did indeed send me an e-mail regarding what transpired. And it's a good first step, but it's not what I would term an apology. It is, regrettably, a list of why he took the action he did and why he feels it's justified. On line 15 of a 16 line e-mail does the word apology appear.

I'm not looking for blood, I'm looking for a simple "I'm sorry." I like Cory. He's got a great sense of humor and is fun to talk to even when he goes into "manager mode." And I know he's the kind of guy who'd hate to release a product he wouldn't enjoy.
            -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

Sencho I hope you'll reconsider going back to QS.
              You and Stormhound were ONLY guys who were regulary posting on Apolyton.

Now, Stormhound couldn't go back since he needs paid work, but I'll hope you'll reconsider.

for Cory and Sencho:
              -Stubborness doesn't pay
              -noone is always right
              -overreacting is bad thing

Comment

"-Stubborness doesn't pay"

Good thing I'm a volunteer.

"-noone is always right "

Glad I'm not noone.

"-overreacting is bad thing"

Can't think of anything funny for this one...
                -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Sencho
                  "-Stubborness doesn't pay"

Good thing I'm a volunteer.

"-noone is always right "

Glad I'm not noone.

"-overreacting is bad thing"

Can't think of anything funny for this one...
                  Regrdless of anything I would realy like you back on MOO3 project.

At least they said APOLOGY. (if not: "I'am sorry")

P.S.
                  You are realy funny guy.

Comment

can an even offensive comment damage/hurt the project???

I mean if you were a stubborn guy and persistantly give negative output than OK, but for one little @mist\ake@ if it was

Those guys are trully weird???

How can they ban Emerich anyway??? man I'd be thinking who 'd hell am I working for??? Good they are not in the government.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I think I am going to close my eyes, wait 'til the game is released, read some reviews by critics and players alike, and THEN make my decision to purchase.

Because frankly, the gossip around here is thicker than KY.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                        can an even offensive comment damage/hurt the project???

I mean if you were a stubborn guy and persistantly give negative output than OK, but for one little @mist\ake@ if it was

Those guys are trully weird???

How can they ban Emerich anyway??? man I'd be thinking who 'd hell am I working for??? Good they are not in the government.
                        Well, my 'bashing' seems related to a Moo3 survivor poll I started on another forum that was interpreted badly coupled with that other forum going private shortly after first being visited.

Beyond that I've been completely supportive, even when I occasionally express personal doubts/concerns.

Time will tell how it resolves.
                        -Sencho

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                          I think I am going to close my eyes, wait 'til the game is released, read some reviews by critics and players alike, and THEN make my decision to purchase.

Because frankly, the gossip around here is thicker than KY.
                          You know, until just a few weeks ago I hadn't even heard of MOO (please don't beat me hehe). Since then I have read the design stuff at moo3.com, been enthralled, then seen all this mooap-opera go on.

I think that now I too am gonna wait for release and informed reviews before even thinking about moo3 again!

btw Anunikoba, is the 'Space Empires IV Gold' you mention anything to do with an old old shareware game called Space Empires?

Comment

'Scuse me, I was wondering if you prefered the movie star or the girl-next-door when you were stranded on that desert island and never heard of MOO or anything more recent than the original SE…
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                            X