Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO1 still going!!!

Hi,

I used to play the original MOO on a friend's computer when it was first released. For old time's sake I downloaded a copy off the net and started playing. Several hours later, I got the hang of it again and couldn't believe how long I'd been playing it. It's such a good game!!

Anyway, I'm really pleased to see that people are still playing the original game and talking about it too. Now, if only I could remember if the little white stars that keep attacking my ships were stasis fields or computer jammers.....

Help! Are the little white stars that keep attacking my ships stasis fields or computer disrupter thingies?

It will all come back to me I'm sure....

Cheers
    Skeg

Stasis traps ships in a time bubble. If I recall, Ion projectors produce a ring of white star like stuff that envelopes ships. They fire up to two squares away. Is this what you are seeing?

Comment

Stasis fields freeze ships in a dark blue field from a range of 1 at which point you can't even access the ship stats by clicking on them.
      Sounds like you're getting hit with the tech nullifier (range 3).
      Click on your stack after getting hit and check the offensive level of your battle computers. It'll be a bit lower than normal.

Comment

Got the hang again!

Hiya,

After a couple of weeks playing MOO I've got the hang of it again. It was the tech nullifier!

Still haven't been able to win on b@stard hard level with the Silicoids though... Must play more.. must play more..

Cheers
        Skeg

Comment

I once figured I had play 2000 games of Orion and I never used the Nullifier.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
            I once figured I had play 2000 games of Orion and I never used the Nullifier.
            2000 games! For real? Well I'm impressed. I must've played maybe a couple of hundred or so (and am still going) but nowhere near 2000. Wow.

I've always found the nullifier very useful in attacking heavily defended planets. A couple of uses and their missile targetting falls to pieces.

Skeg: The silicoids can be very tricky on large/huge galaxies particularly due to their low pop growth rates and their inability to use advanced terraforming (atmospheric/Gaia). This can severely limit their productivity - at least until they can research cloning which is very important for them.

Comment

I never used the nullifier as by the time I get it, the game is a lock anyway. I usually play hard on small map with 5 players.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                The silicoids can be very tricky on large/huge galaxies particularly due to their low pop growth rates and their inability to use advanced terraforming (atmospheric/Gaia).
                Are they just unable to research it but still able to steal or trade for it or are they really unable to use it, even if they had it?

Comment

Re: Got the hang again!

Originally posted by skeg
                  Still haven't been able to win on b@stard hard level with the Silicoids though... Must play more.. must play more..
                  Speaking of Silicoids, just yesterday I played a game with them on Impossible/5. I start up the game, and guess what? 4 ultra-rich and one rich planet within a 6 parsec radius from my home planet-- all hostile environments. I grinned as I thought back to a moment ago when I almost went with Klackons for the game...
                  Become a vampire today!

Comment

Re: Re: Got the hang again!

Originally posted by granid
                    4 ultra-rich and one rich planet within a 6 parsec radius from my home planet-- all hostile environments.
                    Speaking of which, here is the save file.
                    Attached Files
                    Become a vampire today!

Comment

I give a shot soon. Lets us know how you fare. I will admit to being less than an expert on the sili. They are so slow at grow, that you need a large ratio of hostile planets. When they are against me, I hate it when there are lots of hostile planets, but they are not close to the sili. This means other race will have a slow start and soon be surrounded.

Comment

I finished it. It was way to good of a start. I now recall why I do not play the silis. I was for ever finding the eco spending not going back to zero after pop building. The slow growth holding down my expansion.

Comment

I think the not going back after pop building has to do with the cannot use Soil Enrichment and Gaia Transformation...

However this also happens with other races when you have a Revolt somewhere.

Wished they would patch it together with the other thing...

Comment

Yes that is what makes it far worse than the occasional problem with other races. It keeps trying to do the terraforming and it is not allowed, so resources go down the drain.
                            Plus at first I keep trying to steal tech I could not use to get it off the board, but it would not steal it (tundra and the pollution reduction). I finally realized that was a waste.

Comment

Yes this nice thingy will always rock.

Remember the little ships and planets and alien races *sweet*
                              I also do a little game mostly at work because this game only uses a small amount of space and can be conveniently installed everywhere without anyone detect it. That's the most important advantage of these older games, easy to hide and still a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X