No announcement yet.

What will make MOO3 different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moo3 will be differnt to me as the only space games i have played are: smac, altho that is more civ than 4x space, moo2, and moo0.5, starlords, i dloaded a while ago, and got bored fairly quickly.

what makes moo3 a 5x game now?
    Just my 2p.
    Which is more than a 2 cents, about one cent more.
    Which shows you learn something every day.
    formerlyanon@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by tishco
      moo3 will be differnt to me as the only space games i have played are: smac, altho that is more civ than 4x space, moo2, and moo0.5, starlords, i dloaded a while ago, and got bored fairly quickly.

what makes moo3 a 5x game now?
      The "fifth" X is just hype. Its still a 4x game. Supposidly the 5th X is experiance. Which probably means the AI adapts to how you play which is a game play quality and no kind of X. What is retarded though is they have written "x's" in to the story to try to make the title make sense with the story. Its kinda strange. They name it the fifth x because its supposidly a 5x game, yet they have "x's" for all we know they could have made that title so they can remove the 5th X gameplay element and just say, the 4 xs are the homeworld of races that were destroyed from moo 2 and the 5th x is orion. Which IS what probably is going to happen.
      ~~ Anubis

Comment

Well, let's see here.

TCP/IP play is fixed in the Gold Edition

SIEV is a 2 man show and they still release with fewer bugs than the "big" companies.

The two members of Malfador spend their time writing the game, not hyping it, so their Web site is not all slick and "markety" looking.

They (Malfador) listen to their customers and make changes accordingly.

What part of the above is bad?

As for Shrapnel, their games rock. This is where wargaming meets computer games. They're (on average) $10 cheaper than "off the shelf" games, they maintain their own BBS, and patch archives, unlike many other game companies. What do you have against the "little guy" making some space for themselves in this world of corporate glut?
        Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisWoD

Well its not just the graphics. The AI could use tweaking as well. Plus the non inclusion of tcp/ip support in the origional game. They should quit their day job and go full time for their next game. Because the main reason for it being ameteur is that they made it on their free time not because of how the game looks or plays.
          Actually your mistaken there. Malfador Machinations is a one man outfit that has been self employed since around the time SE:IV was released. Allowing the game to be as moddable as it is also somewhat limits how hard coded the AI can be. Most developers can "cheat" by scripting their AI or letting it spy on it's opponent's, but with a 100% moddable AI you don't have that sort of luxury.

Different game design...

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper

What they shoul do is strike a deal with a publisher who'll deliver their game to the shelves, as opposed to that little Internet outfit they're dealing with now. That's by far the most amateurish thing 'bout Malfador.
            Heh, do you know that Shrapnel and Malfador have been approached by 15 seperate publishers and at least 10 retail chains to go retail? However all retail would do is pay them quarterly (at best), rip them off with expensive marketing costs, and pay them next to nothing per copy after returns. The extra exposure you get is not worth it.

Shrapnel has been in retail before in previous incarnations and we know of what we speak. Retail works for games that sell a LOT of copies, but games that don't just end up bankrupting the developers in question.

As far as rinky dink outfit you will probably want to know that we are one of the largest shippers in our home state of North Carolina, larger then several large corporations based in the state. SE:IV has sold copies to almost every country around the globe and has sold more copies over the internet than about every other publisher who has tried.

We aren't on the internet because we can't do retail, we're on the internet because we reject retail.

Comment

Originally posted by rdarnese

Heh, do you know that Shrapnel and Malfador have been approached by 15 seperate publishers and at least 10 retail chains to go retail? However all retail would do is pay them quarterly (at best), rip them off with expensive marketing costs, and pay them next to nothing per copy after returns. The extra exposure you get is not worth it.
              So what you're saying is if I give you $25 you'll let me wash your car?

Big Dave
              Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

We aren't on the internet because we can't do retail, we're on the internet because we reject retail.
                That's all very nice, but that decision has cost Malfador a lot of sales. My, for instance - I wouldn't buy stuff on the Internet if my life depended on it, much less an entertainment product such as SE IV.

Still, since you are here, and seem to represent Shrapnel: is there any way to buy from you that doesn't involve handing over my CC details? I'd be willing to trust you guys by sending cash in an envelope, but I understand that postal workers in the US regard that as bonus pay.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Actually your mistaken. Malfador would have seen some increase in sales due to being in retail but they would have been at 1/20th to 1/10th the amount that they get per sale with us, plus then having to pay marketing costs and waiting 3-6 months to get paid.

To make the same money in retail they would have had to sell 500,000 units in retail. There is no way that MOO3 or SE:IV could have sold that many in retail.

Oh we except checks and money orders. Just mark that as your payment option in your order. Your order will go on holand and as soon as we get your money order or check you will get your game.

Comment

Since we're not privy to your business agreements with Malfador we really have no choise but to belive your argument - so we'll take it as a fact that they do ten times as much per copy sold with you than thy'd get in retail. (Although, if the deal is so amazing, I can't help to wonder why we don't see a landslide of sub-top-tens queueing to do business with you. Seems most "small" games still think retail is the way to go). But that does not change the fact that they'd actually get more sales if the were retail as well. Enough of them to outweight the associated costs? I dunno. But I certainly suspect so, at least in the overseas market. Retail eats bulk shipment costs only - when I order my own copy, I'll probably have to pay upward of $100 to get my hands on the game with shipping and all - and that'd be steep for an AAA game, let alone a budget one.

Still, being a helpless Space 4x TBS junkie, I certainly feel tempted. Could you be so kind to provide an URL where you spell out the administrative details for non-card customers? Thank you.
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

A lot of the developers who end up going with publishers do so for funding from the publishers. The problem is then they are at the whim of the publisher then as to how the final game ends up. Plus they will probably have to do the same thing again since, in most cases, they will not see royalties and if they do they will be 3-6 months off, if that. It's a cycle many developers get trapped in. Then once their primary franchise becomes stale they are forced to work on god awful games in order to gain funding.

Let me put it this way. About 3 weeks ago we spoke with a rather large publisher, who will have a significant presence at E3, and we told them the numbers we did with SE:IV and they were SHOCKED. They couldn't believe how much Malfador made and they couldn't believe how many units we had sold to date of that product. In fact they were talking to us about taking some of our products into Worldwide retail. We may work some sort of deal with them, but to be honest it won't be for our top selling games as that would be silly for us and out developers.

Your right about the European issue, but we have several online vendors you can use as an alternative. If we went anywhere for retail it would be overseas.

And as far as other developers signing on, well just keep you eyes out for PR in the next coming month .

Here is the URL for our store. Just use Check or Money order for paying method instead of Credit Card.

Comment

Speaking from Europe, I can say I ordered SE:IV online last year (credit card) and it came fast and cheap enough.

What you have to do is to rely on a few good magazines to spread the news.
                        If you want to know, you've been highly praised in the French mag "Ravage". They gave your URL, told to play the demo, so I did and I bought the game.

Their e-mail is ravage@histecoll.com ,just in case (I don't roam the net searching for games...better find them in my mags). They are specialized in strategy games (unlike other game-mags). Ask for Mr Teophile Monnier!
                        From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

Yeah I know that guy, he also runs www.net4war.com that has an online store that sells our stuff.

Comment

I assume you are from shrapnel. You guys should seriously try to get the game se iv shipped to stores. Or a future space empires game (se 5 maybe). That game would definately see a increase in sales and populatity. Maybe if you put something like pc gamers editors choice and on the cover something to the effect of it being the most customizable space strategy game that would attract even more to it.
                            ~~ Anubis

Comment

Yeah but I don't think you guys get it. Most games do not make developers that much money in retail. Retail makes the PUBLISHERS money and guarantees that the developer will get funding for their next game.

However we are in business to give our developers the ability to make the game they want to make and to make the most money from that possible.

We just can't make the money in retail we can make online. I know for many folks that makes little sense, but that's because you haven't been involved in the inside of the industry like we have. We have been in retail, we prefer it this way, as a publisher and as a developer.

Comment

Yeah but I don't think you guys get it. Most games do not make developers that much money in retail. Retail makes the PUBLISHERS money and guarantees that the developer will get funding for their next game..............(edit).......................... .............
                                We have been in retail, we prefer it this way, as a publisher and as a developer.
                                Exactly, thanks for being so right . I myself don't like to use my credit card over the net so the info you gave moominparatrooper about Postal Orders will be taken advantage of very soon. I've got the demo of SEIV and liked what i tried - so i'll buy!
                                I think you are doing what's best for your buisness and game development in general.
                                I think if we, the consumer end of the software chain ,want to see quality games come out in the future then we should support people like yourselves.
                                A nasty trend has started to spread through the big game publishers in recent times it seems. In some ways market forces have probably forced their hands, but i find it inexcusable to be expected to pay to be a Beta-tester time after time.
                                I find it suspicous that when a 'big' title comes out, you will rarely find a bad review in the majority of game mags(i've stopped buying them.) and review sites.
                                I find it worrying that sometimes now a Demo is not released(So you can't test before you buy) and this seems to be becoming acceptable.
                                I've been buying games since the early 80's onwards, and i find it a breath of fresh air to see a company like Shrapnel doing well in these murky times! Thanks for being smart on what a gamer really wants and needs(even when they don't know it!)
                                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                X