Finding data on opposing empires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding data on opposing empires

Will data on one empire's diplomatic relations to another be readily available to other empires, or is it possible (and feasible) to keep certain relations secret? For example, if Empire A sends Empire B 5 battlecruisers so that Empire B can then use these ships against Empire C, will Empire C necessarily be aware of the fact that Empire A is engaging in a war by proxy? Will it make a difference if Empire A sent 500 battlecruisers instead of 5? Or 500 Doom Stars?

Also, will your spies ever return faulty information, or are they limited to returning either "correct data" or "no data"? Will they ever purposely withhold data or purposely feed you faulty data (will they turn double-agent)?

Finally, if it is possible that your spies will return faulty (intentionally or unintentionally), will you have the final say in whether or not the data is accepted as accurate, or is it possible that your Emperor (or a Governor, or a Senator, whatever) will act on the faulty data despite your wish that they ignore it?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

"Sir, those five ships have the Transgalactic Stars and Stripes logo crossed out on them!"

"Aha! Uh. Hmm. So?"

"Don't you think that might mean something sir?"

"Naw. Now if there were five hundred of them instead of five it might. But i think its just a coicidence"

By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Faulty data will happen. Leaders even have a trait set when they're created as to whether they tend to exaggerate high or low.

Double-agents are, I believe, possible, as are moles.

Leaders will act on the data they get, so if it's wrong...

You'll be able to find out at least some things about the diplomacy of others, though that info will be more difficult to get. You'll also have "codes" that you can update as the game goes along; if you do it frequently, they're less likely to be cracked, but that option costs more money.

I think you'll enjoy the espionage engine...
      If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

I bet we will!
        When will the data dump on espionage be released?
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Not soon enough to satisfy you, I'm sure.
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Are you able to share your own "codes" with another empire as a token of good will (or because you have been coerced into doing so, or whatever)? Can you trade codes, or other information that your spy network has turned up ("If you give us Mighty Missiles of Wutang, then we will tell you where Empire C's fleet is located")? For that matter, can you trade faulty information or invalid codes?

On a related note, is it possible to pay for something in multiple parts when trading with an enemy empire ("If you give us 1000 AU, then we will give you back 100 AU for the next 20 cycles" or "We will give you 100 battlecruisers to seal this deal, but the other 200 will not be delivered until you have paid us the second half of the money")? (The relation is that I can forego trading away Mighty Missiles of Wutang until I have confirmed that the information I have traded for is correct).

Finally, is it possible to open diplomatic relations with an enemy's Governor/Senator/etc. (i.e. someone who is not representing the Empire, but someone who is representing a portion of it), for example, to sign separate peace agreements or to secretly negotiate providing aid for a secession ("The citizens of Sector Alpha of Empire C do not wish to take part in this war, Emperor Wutang of Empire A. We will sign a separate peace agreement with you so long as you recognize us as a sovereign nation and sign this Favored Trade agreement")?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
              Not soon enough to satisfy you, I'm sure.
              Whaaat?!?
              Why not?
              Are you dumping me, Mister?

"BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Multi-part trades and relations with a subordinate: no. I don't believe you can deliberately trade faulty info or codes, but I haven't looked at that part of the design in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
                  Multi-part trades and relations with a subordinate: no.
                  Pity. I spose that could needlessly complicate the game, though, especially if you make several mulit-part trades at once.

I just have an unhealthy love for financial sims.

Comment

Working...
                  X