Hotseat ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotseat ?

Will there be a hotseat option for MOO3 ?
    I know it has multiplayer but the greatest thing is to play a turn based game via hotseat while chatting with your friend, watching movies while the other one has his turn and haveing a good time on a weekend ;p
    Beside i cant think of a real problem implementing hotseat into a turn based game (like MOO2) yet there are lots of games out now without this ability.

Sorry.

No hotseat in Moo3. With combat using a real time style engine, there's no real way to implement hot seat.
    -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

I always wondered myself why aren't 2 mice supported for multi-play capability?
      I spent a lot of fun time with my friends playing strategy hotseat games, and my opinion is that there isn't any game that could not implement "hotseat".
      I believe that it's not possible to make it a more-than-2-players game, but sometimes that's just enough for a fun experience.

If there's still time, at least let 2 players play on the same machine, please!

Edit: Just changed "mouses" to "mice"
      Last edited by Zealot; November 27, 2001, 14:33.
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

2 mice?

You'd also want two monitors and two keyboards. At that point why not just have your friend bring his computer over and LAN them together and sit side by side?

Besides, wouldn't it take a fair amount of coding to allow a computer to read two mice simultaneously? I'm no expert though.

With non-turn based combat system, there just isn't any reasonable way to get more than one player at a computer.

Instead of hotseating, throw a LAN party. They're lots of fun.
        -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

Hotseat rules.

Some of my best gaming memories are from High School. Sitting around the kitchen table with a bunch of my friends playing Risk while one person takes thier turn on whatever computer game we were playing at the time. It was amazing how well Hotseat worked and how much fun we had.

Sammual

Comment

I thought Stormhound mentioned that there will be hotseat in MOO3.
            Rome rules

Comment

Not unless I typoed, I didn't. Hotseat has been excluded as a possibility for as long as I've been aware of the game (since June 2000).
              If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

But why not?

If both human players try to control a same combat, then AI should handle both players fleets.

And players should just watch.

P.S.
                These things are NOT HARD to implement.
                In fact, Hotseat MP is the easiest MP to make.

At lest, could you give as some kind of "unofficial" Hotseat?
                Or at least in Expansion Pack?

Pity, this way I won't ever play a MP game of Orion 3.
                Since I have bad internet connection & don't have second PC.

I liked playing a MOO2 Hotseat (very much).

Comment

I'm not sure how satisfactory your solution would be to players...especially the one who felt he got cheated somehow because he didn't get to direct the battle that he said he wanted to, and ended up losing it.

There's also the problem of just how many times you want to have to hop in and out of the chair just to get one turn done. Alan would've loved to have done hotseat, but didn't see a reasonable way to make it so. At this point, the die is cast and you're not going to see that particular feature.

(I will not make any comments about the topic of "expansion packs", other than to say that I won't make any further comments because I'm not interested in speculating on something of which I have no firm knowledge.)
                  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

When the game comes out I have a feeling that there will be a 3rd party app that allows Hotseat (If this is remotly possible) for 2 players.

One of my friends has been playing around w/ a home grown app (a MOD of a firewall software) that *Might* allow for 2 people to play on 1 computer. If you take very slow turns the other player may kill you.

Sammual

Comment

To me,
                      It is better to have ANY KIND of Hotseat, then to have NONE HOTSEAT at ALL.

Long turns, many interrupts, anything wouldn't stop me from plaing even a worst type of Hotset.

Comment

Hotseat is indeed excellent, but what can you do? It's too late now. Perhaps in some expansion.
                        Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
                          There's also the problem of just how many times you want to have to hop in and out of the chair just to get one turn done. Alan would've loved to have done hotseat, but didn't see a reasonable way to make it so.
                          IMO, MOO 2 has the best Hotseat game ever made. Play it and learn from it!

Seriously now, if in MOO 2 the battles were at the end of the turn, why couldn't it be done in the same way in MOO 3?

I know Alan has surely thought about it, it's just that I would like to hear the official "excuse"!
                          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Oh, BTW, my hotseat games (usually) never involve human fighting. Because we are all watching each other's playing.

I mean, each player has his own chair, so we don't lose time getting up and stuff.
                            We kick the AI's butt, and go for Antares! So by the end of the day, we didn't backstab anyone and we still are all friends.

Comment

Working...
                            X