No announcement yet.

MOO3 documentation quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe when I asked about a strategy guide awhile back the answer was that Alan had thought (wanted?) to do one, but we'll have to wait and see.

I like a good paper manual as well, but ONLY if it has some decent charts, graphic, etc, that display some real numbers we can use and appreciate. Looking at the recent Civ3 manual is a perfect example of how NOT to make a huge manual that is essentially wasted space.

Hmm, a good manual for the game with relevant info included and an updated version of the MOO bible (for the third game) done by Alan would just about make MOO3 perfect. I am assuming the game will be great simply because of the design doc and info seen thus far.

Oh, and before I forget, yes the industry may go to smaller formats but I have YET to see a game manual that wouldn't fit into a case the size of what you'd get a "boxed set" of CD's in. Game distributors could esentially shrink down the box to the width of the CD, the height of two jewel cases length ise and make it three inches thick (without padding) and there would be plenty of room for 99% of the games made today even if they all had 200+ page manuals.

Comment

I think the following combination of documents will be ideal:

Electronic: everything, from how to build a ship to the actual formulae, in either Windows Help or compiled HTML. That way you can search for terms, but a comprehensive index is a must. This can be broken down into sections: how-tos, faq, user's guide (explanation of menus goes here) references, and appendice.

Printed: Just the reference part, plust background history and any other interesting bits.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
        So far as I'm aware, everyone at QS wants a nice, thick manual.
        So do I. Cheers!
        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

For me a paper manual. I can read it at luch at work wich i did when MOO2 came out. We need a manual that is actually has usufull info. For the hint book we need ont that was like MOO1 and not like MOO2. MOO2 was a rip off.

What I liked about Civ2 was the Civopedia. That would be a good idea for Moo3, a Galaticpedia. When we see something we dont understand on a screen we put the mouse over it and a few seconds later a description would come out, ala Europa Universalis.

Thats my 2 cents worth. (Canadain that is.)

Davor

Comment

So is the manual getting cut yet?

Comment

LoL, i can't beliave i just spent the last 15 minutes reading a 5 month old thread
              i thought this was started today

anyway, i'm definetely pro-paper manual, with a nice backstory on the moo universe to read while lying in bed.
              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                LoL, i can't beliave i just spent the last 15 minutes reading a 5 month old thread
                i thought this was started today
                BBs are like ground-hog day. And some things just rear their ugly heads after you think they are dead.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, how did the manual turn out? Was it up to Emrich standards? Better than Rome on 64K a day?

Comment

Working...
                  X