10.27.01: pop growth data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10.27.01: pop growth data

click here to see the very simple population growth data dump released today. A hybrid combo of known factors, plus the interesting ecosystem density...
    The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Hopefully, Stormhound will see this thread...

So a planet's population limit is dependent on how many regions are on the planet, and for a certain number of regions on a planet, there is an assigned population limit for each region. Does this at all mean that not all regions will grow to their limits?

Are the number of regions found on planets entirly dependent on the size of the planet, or is it so that planets of similar/same size will have a different number of regions?

Are all regions hospitable environments and inhabitable, or out of all the regions found on a planet, some will not be able to be populated?

Quixote

Comment

Thread? What thread?

Whether regions will grow to their limit depends upon various things. What you'll tend to see, though, is that as regions near their limit population growth will slow and you'll see some migration out of that region. There will tend to be some fluctuation through the course of the game, rather than growing to the limit and stopping cold.

The number of regions IS the size of the planet, but thinking from the other direction, yes...moons, for example, will tend to have 1-2 regions.

All regions on a planet share the same "habitability zone" rating, and are therefore equally habitable, but there may be some variation of terrain and biodiversity, which affects what you can get out of a given region.
      If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Danku Stormhound, as a all a ways, but there is more to be learned!

The limits mentioned on the data dump, are they the absolute maximums? Or can buildings be built to increase the limits? Will races like the Silcoid (or their equals in MOO3) be able to double the population limit because they are "subterrainean"? (are there other races characteristics that contribute to population limits/growth....maybe you could give us all the race picks....

Number of regions says how large the planet is....then I guess a planet with 12 regions must be pretty large. How will gravity come into play then? Will each race have a tolerable "gravity range" (not too high not too low) where work/research will not be penalized. Will compensating for the lack or excess of it be as simply as building a gravity generator?

and migrations...Maintaining a population max has benefits (productivity, research,commerce,food). Can citizens be pressured or persuaded not to migrate away, so as to stay and maximize a planets output?
        Last edited by Don K Hotay; October 29, 2001, 11:39.

Comment

The limits in the data dump specifically exclude any enhancements possible via technology, and I believe they exclude any racial factors as well.

No, I can't give you all the race picks, as that document was heavily edited before being passed out to the public, and I haven't got time to hunt down the edited version.

I believe there will be some effect of gravity, but I do not possess the information necessary to tell you what it is. That's part of someone else's design bailiwick, and I don't think all that info has been cleared for release.
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Just missed my edit! :

and migrations...Maintaining a population max has benefits (productivity, research,commerce,food). Can citizens be pressured or persuaded not to migrate away, so as to stay and maximize a planets output?

NIce, so will I find the edited race pick info somewhere in the data dumps?

Comment

To a degree, yes, but only to a degree. It's also possible to try to encourage people to move there, but that costs money.

The edited race pick info is in a thread titled "Race Picks" on the forum...I don't know whether it made it to the data dumps or not, but it can't hurt to check.

Comment

Shouldn't sparce bio-diversity allow more room for population?
                "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

It's not a question of room for population, as Tom Hughes designed it, it's a question of a more richly diverse area being better able to support a higher population. I suppose if one wanted to, one could argue either side of it, it's just picking a scale and then assigning numbers. Tom's version makes a little more instinctive sense to me than the other way around, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X