No announcement yet.

moo3 SuperFleets..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just build 4 or 5 doom stars, and fly to a new system every turn and wipe it out. The enemy fleets would chase me but i would always hit where they weren't. I think planets should automatically get warp indirectors, so you can see the enemy coming for 2 or 3 turns in advance.. Otherwise its just a matter of who can get the biggest ships and go planet hoping.,
    Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
    and kill them!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
      this is probably a well-gone-over issue, but will there be any fleet size restrictions a la MOO2?
      The only limit on total fleet size I'm aware of is your ability to pay maintanence. In combat, each side may have up to 12 task forces active at any time (w/ up to 64 ships each), plus whatever TFs they have in reserve.
      -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm inclined to do a little math here to show another reason why we chose a real-time combat model rather than turn-based.

Take the extreme combat (actually, it isn't, because you could have extra task forces in reserve, but let's just pretend) where both sides have 12 64-ship task forces. That's 768 ships per side, or 1,536 ships total.

Now let's assume that it takes an average of seven seconds to move and fire each ship (which is probably rather fast unless you're in automatic mode, but again let's pretend). The first round of the combat, if none of the ships is destroyed, will thus take 7*1536=10,752 seconds.

That's just 48 seconds shy of three hours. Now, who all wants to use the MOO2 combat mode again? Should I start a poll?
        If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
          That's just 48 seconds shy of three hours. Now, who all wants to use the MOO2 combat mode again? Should I start a poll?
          Nah...!
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Re: bases

Will you be able to construct bases at the jump points mentioned in the game to act as a roadblock? Or am I getting the word 'jump point' mixed up with warp points from the Starfire game?

|"Anything I can do to help?" "Um. Short of dying? No, can't think of a |
            | thing." -Morden, Vir. 'Interludes and Examinations' -Babylon 5 |

Comment

Yes, you can build defenses around Jump Points.
              -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

What about warp indirectors??? In moo2 i would be able to crash the other civ, by just planet hoping with a fleet of 4 or 5 doom stars. I would never engage the other fleet that was 30 times more powerful then mine. After jumping from system to system and wiping it out the ai would scrap ships every turn because of the maintaince costs. Warp indirectors would give the enemy civ a chance to put together a fleet to meet you at your destination.
                Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
                and kill them!

Comment

Things like Warp Interdictors will work a little differently in MOO3, but they're in the plan.
                  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Working...
                  X