No announcement yet.

moo3 SuperFleets..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To not burden my economy, i would just build one doomstar outfitted with Achilles, Hv, Hyper-X gauss cannons. That could usually kill 20+ battleships a turn
    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Phasors became useless with either hard shields (negating shield penetration) or with neutronium armor (which phasors barely dented). Combine the two and watch your phasor-armed fleet get shot out of the sky.

I always went for autofire disruptor cannons myself. Also, can the armaments on bases be controlled in MOO3? There was nothign more annoying than a starfortress with a mere 3 death rays.
      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Yes, you'll be able to control those things. Orbital defenses are treated just like ships without any movement engines, in fact.
        If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
          Phasors became useless with either hard shields (negating shield penetration) or with neutronium armor (which phasors barely dented). Combine the two and watch your phasor-armed fleet get shot out of the sky.
          One of the specials (Achilles? I forget which exactly) gave automatic armour penetration. The hard shield option was a bit of a nuisance though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
            Yes, you'll be able to control those things. Orbital defenses are treated just like ships without any movement engines, in fact.
            I liked to have my orbital defenses pre-armed, like in MOO2. I could spare some time. Now that is one more thing to micromanage!
            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot

I liked to have my orbital defenses pre-armed, like in MOO2. I could spare some time. Now that is one more thing to micromanage!
              You *are* kidding, right? The utter uselessness of Moo2 starbases due to moronic AI arming is legendary in the annals of space gaming. I never understood just why it was so frigging impossible to have starbases/battlestations/star fortresses just be battleships/titans/doom stars with no engines and CP generators hardcoded, but otherwise just like any other ship. Much as I loved Moo2, that was one of it's more horrifying shortcomings.
              "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
              "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Yeah with some sensible designing that Starbase could be useful, usually it just sucked.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper

You *are* kidding, right? The utter uselessness of Moo2 starbases due to moronic AI arming is legendary in the annals of space gaming. I never understood just why it was so frigging impossible to have starbases/battlestations/star fortresses just be battleships/titans/doom stars with no engines and CP generators hardcoded, but otherwise just like any other ship. Much as I loved Moo2, that was one of it's more horrifying shortcomings.
                  Well, at least I expect I can macromanage the upgrade of my defences in MOO3! I mean, if I develop, for example, MIRV for my missiles, I don't have to go to every single Battlestation and upgrade those missiles, like I had to do to every space ship!
                  "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                  Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                  Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                  Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot

Well, at least I expect I can macromanage the upgrade of my defences in MOO3! I mean, if I develop, for example, MIRV for my missiles, I don't have to go to every single Battlestation and upgrade those missiles, like I had to do to every space ship!
                    I agree it would be a MM pain in the nether regions to have to upgrade all your planetary defenses yourself, but I think we can happily look forward to a smart solution from Quicksilver. They're not exactly stupid, even if I sure don't approve of everything I've seen from their design sketches, I am nevertheless confident they realise this all by themselves as well. They have gone through contorsions to eliminate MM everywhere else, so there is absolutely no reason to think they'd add to it here.

Peace and klackons!
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Hmmmnnn... Does that mean that I can build a bunch of them surrounding a planet if I want? Like, say I have lousy tech, but have a large number of bases surrounding my world to help make up for it.

Kind of like in MOO, where having a bunch of lousy missile bases on a world would help make up for the fact that they were poorly equipped.

Or is this a situation where I can only build one per planet?
                      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

You'll be able to build multiple orbitals per planet; I believe the limit is tied to the size of the planet in question but unless the planet is absolutely miniscule you can have more than one. You can also build them around the moons, I believe (same limit) and since moons appear on the same combat screen with the planet it could add up to some decent firepower.

Ships will still be the mainstay of a defensive force, however.
                        If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Great, in Moo2 it always seemed rediculous that only one orbital defense station could be built around a planet. I mean, i can build an artificial planet but not an extra orbital defense station? I applauded this decision.
                          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

This and multiple bases are great news. Thanks.
                            - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                            - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                            - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                              Great, in Moo2 it always seemed rediculous that only one orbital defense station could be built around a planet. I mean, i can build an artificial planet but not an extra orbital defense station? I applauded this decision.
                              Good point!

Comment

My favorite game (for a while) in MOO2 was to conquer the galaxy but for the tiniest, most toxic planet I could arrange for the enemy to be on. I'd develop my tech to some totally ridiculous level, and then give every system but the home to the enemy. It was great. They'd be all nice and smarmy for about 10 turns at which point they (predictably) declare war on me. They come at me with some 300 battleships and are completely wiped out by my handful of doom stars. Did I mention my ships had 5 Stellar Converters and Time Warp Facillitators and this other thing that triples damage? It was a great opportunity to go through and destroy all the Tiny and Small planets so they could be rebuilt later as Large. I'd get my final score up to something crazy...

The catch of course was that even maxed out planetary defenses couldn't defend against more than a couple of their battleships, so I had to keep a Doom Star at every system during my 'Reconquista'. You say this sort of thing can be alleviated in MOO3? Yay!

--
                                Jared Lessl

Comment

Working...
                                X