X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the links!

Comment

Stormhound, about this screenshot:

Can we have a successful game (both on SinglePlay or MultiPlay) without slavery? And preventing our good leaders from getting corrupt?
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot
        Can we have a successful game (both on SinglePlay or MultiPlay) without slavery? And preventing our good leaders from getting corrupt?
        Those are good questions. I believe slavery should have some disadvantages, such as slave revolts and/or abolition movements. Also enemy spies might be more effective, if you do have slaves.

And about corruption: I´d like to force a Puritan, rigidly moral style on my society/leaders. Can I do that? And how would it work in game terms? Are there any ways to influence the atmosphere of my society -the distinct way it feels-, apart from the suppression slider?
        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

I'm sure you can have a successful game without it. It has some definite drawbacks to go with the benefits it provides, like many things in the game. You can certainly choose to do without and do well. The one slider merely measures what your policy is IF you have them; you can play Galactic Abolitionist if you so desire.

There is no way to *absolutely* prevent leaders from getting corrupt. You merely have a choice of which you're more prepared to deal with: less-skilled leaders (on the average; you can still have a number of good ones), or leaders who are more prone to corruption. You can always set the slider in the middle and accept small amounts of both, but there is no "automatic" choice, nor should there be. There are other things besides that slider that influence the skill and corruptibility of leaders, so you do have other options.

So far as a rigid moral style, that'll depend on which style it is. There are a large number of policies one can set (and the oppressometer settings are just a few), and the combination of these is a reflection of the society. I would say most things could be covered, but I can't guarantee that any one specific one will be...you can't cover the infinite with finite options. If you're looking to suppress corruption in particular, then crank up that one slider; some leaders will still become corrupt, but you'll root them out much more easily.
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Working...
          X