Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sword Of The Stars II - big fail

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
    Hey Whoha, long time no see. I see that you are still rolling with the Galactic Overlords Avatar...

    Nice linky, but does not look like much is going on there.
    I've had little reason to change it, nothing really jumps out at me, and the game is about to undergo a major version change so if you are going to play it, you may want to wait until after that, this is about as graphical as it gets however, the game is spreadsheet heavy.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #17
      I did some poking around at the forums there including reading the manifesto by the developer. I did bookmark the site for future exploring. I liked stars so spreadsheet gaming not an issue as long as the content is good, especially with 4x space games
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

      Comment


      • #18
        Downloaded it ...
        DF in space seems to be unjustified ...
        it has more graphics than DF

        After taking the biggest hurdles regarding research, colony development and sending ships to other planets and stars I think I like it

        (pity that Steve didnīt include a function to automatically turn decimal commas into decimal points (and vice versa), so I wouldnīt have to switch from german to english settings everytime I want to play it)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

        Comment


        • #19
          I looked at sevearl lets play, but they do not seem to actually play. They were all just going through the mechanics and very little of the game. Looks similar to Stars. So wish they had released Stars 2 Supernova.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by vmxa1 View Post
            I looked at sevearl lets play, but they do not seem to actually play. They were all just going through the mechanics and very little of the game. Looks similar to Stars. So wish they had released Stars 2 Supernova.
            Steve's Nato vs Soviets, and other campaigns, have a reasonable look at how the game is played. he also includes an up to date version of the Nato vs Soviets game in the latest version so you can poke around and look at everything there.

            http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,112.0.html
            http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,16.0.html

            these two are probably the best, there are spoilers involved as well though if you want to see stuff on your own.

            Also there is a lets play in progress on somethingawful, but it is bogged down with waiting for them to vote on everything.

            Comment


            • #21
              Thanks will check it out. Got my Diablo III pre ordered, so I suspect that to bog me down in a week.

              Comment


              • #22
                Is there any way to switch on/off the stopping behavior of autoturn in response to certain events (without having to do it via the database and without having to switch off the event in the filter)?

                (For example, while it isnīt uninteresting to have the appearance of new officers getting displayed in the event log [and not switch it off via filter] it isnīt interesting enough for me, to have autoturn stop every time I get a new officer (which, after 2-3 upgrades of the terran military academy, happens rather regularly) ... same goes to the expansion of the various civilian colonies within the solar system ... I donīt need to take any action if civilian colonies get expanded and trust into the capabilities of my subordinates, to tax them accordingly, therefore I donīt need autoturn to stop for this event)
                Last edited by Proteus_MST; May 7, 2012, 23:13.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                  Is there any way to switch on/off the stopping behavior of autoturn in response to certain events (without having to do it via the database and without having to switch off the event in the filter)?

                  (For example, while it isnīt uninteresting to have the appearance of new officers getting displayed in the event log [and not switch it off via filter] it isnīt interesting enough for me, to have autoturn stop every time I get a new officer (which, after 2-3 upgrades of the terran military academy, happens rather regularly ... same goes to the expansion of the various civilian colonies within the solar system ... I donīt need to take any action if civilian colonies get expanded and trust into the capabilities of my subordinates, to tax them acordingly)
                  No, you have to do that via the event filter, which is kind of a pain but workable for multi-faction starts.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Just tried it out...
                    unfortunately it doesnīt seem to work ...
                    I put "Filter Events" for "New Officer", as well as Officer health, updates and promotions and CIvilian Mining Colony messages.

                    It resulted in autoturn at one point just stopping for no (in the event log visible) reason at all.
                    Only after I deactivated the filters I discovered, that the reason for the stop was a new officer.

                    So it seems like the event filter just affects the visibility of the events, not their ability to interrupt your auto turn
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                      Just tried it out...
                      unfortunately it doesnīt seem to work ...
                      I put "Filter Events" for "New Officer", as well as Officer health, updates and promotions and CIvilian Mining Colony messages.

                      It resulted in autoturn at one point just stopping for no (in the event log visible) reason at all.
                      Only after I deactivated the filters I discovered, that the reason for the stop was a new officer.

                      So it seems like the event filter just affects the visibility of the events, not their ability to interrupt your auto turn
                      Well thats wierd, if you know how long you want to wait for you can force increments though(if the ai decides to step down the increment time value that will change however).

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Yep,
                        unfortunately (at least I assume so) this would also mean that the game also doesnīt stop for really important events during this time
                        (like ships getting attacked, important scientists getting killed due to accident (while working on Research Projects), or Research/orders being completed)
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                          Yep,
                          unfortunately (at least I assume so) this would also mean that the game also doesnīt stop for really important events during this time
                          (like ships getting attacked, important scientists getting killed due to accident (while working on Research Projects), or Research/orders being completed)
                          Right, it doesn't stop. however, if you come under attack the time increment will slow, so instead of forcing 10 months, it will force 2 months, 1 day(interception possibility), 7x5 seconds(missile launches), assuming you have robust radar coverage on your fleets that are in danger. This does give up some of your ability to respond to danger however, and if you are defending a JP you'll want to have some automated defenses such as mines as your ships won't respond immediately. If you don't have said active/passive search you'll learn about the missiles when your ships blow up and it will plow through the rest of the increments.

                          deaths due to accidents are fairly rare though, and in 10 months not a whole lot of time is likely to be wasted, likewise research can be qued up, and you can estimate how long until it will be done, then force that # increment.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Yep, youīre right there, of course ... better a few 5 second sub-turns than the same number of full 1 day turns

                            Seems like we donīt have to worry about it anymore in 5.70 ...
                            dunno if Steve, by chance, stumbled upon my postings,
                            or if he did it of his own accord ...
                            either way, Steve has taken out the Autostop for messages that concern your leaders for version 5.70

                            http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.ph....html#msg49789
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Is there any way tro unload troops from drop modules on Shuttles into their own troop quarters?

                              I made a nice Boarding ship, that sonsists of enough troop quarters to carry 8 marine companies with him, as well as enough hangar space to incorporate 8 drop shuttles (small 250 tons fighter craft with one drop module each) and a small escort of 2 500 ton fighters.

                              Before its first assignment (boarding crippled enemy small craft that couldnīt get turned into wrecks but just disappeared after destruction [Star Swarm soldiers, as it later turned out to be]) I loaded all drop shuttles beforehand, so that I wouldnīt have to perform this lengthy process within the enemy system and boarded all crippled craft remaining with one marine company each, which only took hald of the units.
                              Well, thanks to me not thinking all through, I forgot to add shipos with empty< hangars, so that now my boarding fleet (which is slower than my combat fleet) sits at the jump point to the enemy system and guards a lot of small craft, while my combat fleet has freed all of its hangars and uses them to ferry star swarm soldiers to Terra.

                              Well, meanwhile my marines are sitting in their small drop shuttles in the roomy Hangar of the Tt Störtebeker all the time and get (understandably) grumpy, because I havenīt found a way to transfer them back from the drop shuttles into their nice roomy troop quarters aboard the ship.
                              I can see them listes within the task group as xth Marine-Company CDM [CDM probably Company drop module] but I havent found any order like "Unload Ground toops from Drop Modules" or "Transfer Ground troops" ... only a command for ther other way round (i.e. transfer troops into drop modules) is available.
                              Is there any way I overlooked or is the only way to unload troops from drop modules either via friendly colonies, of by doing boarding combat/combat drops (with no option to unload them in space)???
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                                Is there any way tro unload troops from drop modules on Shuttles into their own troop quarters?
                                Nope, those troops are prepped for a combat drop. find some rock to drop them on, and your troop transport can pick them back up if you're not prepared to assault someones ships/planet. As near as I can tell everyone runs into this problem, and it gets posted to the main forum every so often.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X