In Moo1 virtual memory incorrectly reported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Moo1 virtual memory incorrectly reported

Moo1 causes my virtual memory to be incorrectly reported as less than it actually is. This causes my computer to "think" that it is short of memory.
    I have had this issue with other, older DOS games, in particular Lords of the Realm II, where it also caused an I/O system error, to such an extent that I had to reinstall windows.

Now, it has started freezing when I exit Moo1and when I try to start the game. Oddly, it seems that if I surf on the internet a while before I try to start the game it will work correctly.

What a mess! I have an AMD 450, 256 memory, 64mg ATI video card (which is probably not be fully utilized by the 450 AMD,see note). and Me operating system (which I am going to replace when my income tax refund comes), and an Audigy 2 sound card.

Note: my comoputer tends to hang up temporarlly when loading the graphics on a web page. I suspect it has something to do with the under utilized video card, but actually don't know why it does this. If ,when it is humg up, I mimimize the screen and open another no web page (graphicly) it will cause the sceen that was temporily hung up to compete loading. It appears to be a graphics issue so hence I suspect the video card.

Don't know is this is causing Moo1 to freeze? or if there is some imcompatibity with my computer with old DOS games?

Anyone every had or heard of a problem like this? and if so heard of a solution?

I've given up playing Lords of the Realm II, but do not want to give up playing MOO1. Nor do I want to surf the need for a while before I play a game.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

DosBox is the ticket. It will let you run both games with no problems.

Comment

The windows 95 version of LOTR2 works alright, It is also worth looking into the 1.03 patch if you haven't already done so. And finally let me second DosBox.

Comment

How does DOS Box work?

I have DOS Box installed on my computer. I assumed, hoped that it was automatically utilized when I used an older DOS game. Is there something I have to do to get it to run MOO1 through it?

Thank you for your responses.

Comment

There is a help that shows the commands. You have to issue commands to point to the directory that contains Moo. Then execute the orion.exe, basically as we use to do with old dos.

If you go to the web for dosbox they have links to some utilities that will make it so you can set up a one click start up for any game. I use D-fend reloaded. I was just playing Ascendancy using DosBox today. I played Moo1 yesterday.
          Last edited by vmxa1; March 23, 2009, 09:59.

Comment

This thread may help with any dosbox questions you have.
            Last edited by Whoha; March 23, 2009, 01:09.

Comment

Almost got DOS Box to work

I went to a "tutorial" on DOS Box. O followed all the instructions sucessfullly until the last step. I:created a file for the games, mounted DOS Box, placed the game in the file. When it asked me load the executible file for the game the problems began.

I should first say that I downloaded the game from Jon Sullivan's site. He calls it Moo_all. I copied this to the file to put the games intocalled DOSGames. I called the game Moo. When I hit the Oriion icon, which is the executible file in Jon Sullivans download nothing happens. I looked up the name of this file in properties. It is C:\DOSGames\Moo\Moo_all\Orion.exe. I entered the file without the exe,following the instructions, and it sent me to the next screen telling me to install the game.

Herein lies the wrinkle, perhaps. The game is already installed. So I click on the install icon in Jon Sullivan's download and it sents me to a screen asking me to configure the sound card. I choose none to simplfy things. It then sends me to a screen telling me to type the work Orion to play the game now.

However, this screen is locked. There is no active curser so nothing can be typed. So, I cannot complete the instruction and the game never runs.

I don't know whether DOsBox has had it"s "mind blown" because the game is already installed, or what.

Did I miss something?

Any ideas?

Thanks, again.

Comment

Also

Three things I left out.

I have installed the 1.3 patch.

When asked to install the game if I use the "long name" for the install icon in Jon Sullivan's download, C:\temp\temp3\install.exe, nothing happens.

If I hit the Orion icon in Jon Sullivan's download, it trys to start the game without going through DOS Box and locks up the screen and requires a reboot. This is the sympton that I am trying to fix.

Thanks, again.

Comment

Start Dosbox and point it to the directory that has Moo. IOW use a mount c C:\MPS\Orion or where ever it is located.

Switch form Z: to C: now do a dir /p and see if you are in the MPS\Orion directory. If you are run the install. Config to your sound parameters. I would use SB settings.

Then run Orion.exe and you should be fine. You will even have sound, if you want it. Most of the time I do not turn on my speakers for Moo.

I use D-fend to make a profile for all my Dosbox games. It is a bit of a pain to get a grasp on its use, but once you have it you can start with one click. This is not a big deal for Moo, but for games like Alien Legacy or Ascendancy it is useful. They need to have a CDROM mounted, so it makes it so I do not have to remember those commands.

It is often a year between playing either of those games and for AL it may be several years. Hopefully this is all you need.

Comment

Still not there

I followed your generous advice, I think, but got the same results - after I complete setting sound and x out of that screen, I get the final screen that says to type Orion if I want to play now. But as before, the cursor is not active and it is impossible to type at all. I tried using the dos prompt in the accessories but nothing worked, but when I returned to the DOSBox SDL it had an active currser, but still did not allow anything to be typed

Somehow, if I could only remember how, I was able to use the "long name" to install instead of clicking on the install icon, but it led to the same last screen that had no active cursor.

To play later was told to type "C:\dosgames\moo\moo_all\orion. When one wants to play later where would this be typed? (dosgames is the file that is emulating the c: drive, moo is the name of the game in dosgames, moo_all is the actual name of the game downloaded from the Jon Sullivan site, and Orion is the execuitible file)

Also, in the Moo readme file it says that not having the correct sound settings can cause the program to lock up immediately after loading, I looked under device manager, and sounds and multi-media but found out nothing.I don't know is this applies here or not. How do I check the addresses of my sound card to double check this? Seems like I am grasping at straws now.

Thanks, again.

Comment

You can start with no sound and then once you get the game to run you can use install to change. Just try different settings to you find one that works for your sound card.

I would try to down load and install the D-fend reloaded. Once you have that select add and then run from the wizard. Point it to the Orion.exe. Make up a profile name.

Put C:\MPS\Orion\Orion.exe in the space for program file or what ever your directory is called. In the next line for program parms add this
                      mount c C:\MPS\Orion

Save it and see if that does the trick. This is how I run.

Comment

D-fender directions hard to follow

I am attempting to use Defender. I find the directions incomplete and hard to follow. It seems they assume I know what all their terms mean and how to use them without explaining. Case in point, when in the help menu on how to add a game, STEP ONE is: "copy the games files to to the games folder". To do this they say click on the "extras menu", then click on "open games folder", am told to - "CREAT A NEW SUBFOLDER FOR THE GAME IN THIS DIRECTORY"- BUT, am not told how to do this. So, I am stumped at this point. None of the drop down menus seems to do this. Do you know how to do this?

If you are willing to work with me I will blog through the directions D-fend does supply, until I get D-dfend to work. Sorry to bother you, but the D-fend directions are incomplete, to me.

ThanKs, again, for you help.

Comment

Yup, I struggled with it myself and I have been in computers since 1963. IN the end it is not so hard. Open Dfend and select Profile. Select add with Wizard. Select the browse function for the the game you want to use, in this case Orion.exe.

It will fill in the directory name and the app. The parm below that need the mount c C:\MPS\Orion. It was much easy with the earlier D-fend.

Comment

I give up.

Thanks, again, for your generous advice and patient willingness to help me through this, but it has become too much of an ordeal for me. I am convicted that I shouldn't be spending so much time on gaming. If it was easy to give into I could more easily give into the temptation to do it, but it is not easy, and I an not giving into it.

Thanks for all your help in times past, too.

Comment

I hear ya, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X