MOO or MOO II abandonware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO or MOO II abandonware?

Since Microprose no longer makes these games anyone know where I can dl a copy of either? MOO 2 was a great game but I lost my disk after playing it for a quite short time it was even more fun than MoM (whose horrible AI did a lot to ruin an otherwise great game).
    Stop Quoting Ben

AFAIK, MOO2 is not considered abandonware yet. You can find the original MOO from, for example, http://www.bhlegend.com
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

My local BJ's warehouse shopping shop had a pallet-load of MoO2, in the original box, and (judging by the sounds shaking made) with the original manual. Actually, I think that been the case for the past two years, at least.

Are they still making them (unlikely)? Or did they really, really overestimate demand?

edit: I believe they were going for $7.99
      [This message has been edited by The Mad Monk (edited April 13, 2001).]
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Boshko,

Since you already own the game you are entitled to a new CD. Since you didn't ask MicroProse back then, you will just have to search for an abandonware or warz site that has it.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't think Moo2 has shown up on very many abandonware sites, more because of its size (60+ Mb) than because of its "abandoned" status or lack thereof.
          I did find it once in the old section of a warez site though. As its not being sold anymore (for all practical purposes anyway) I can't really see too much wrong with getting it that way...

Comment

Thanks guys it was there on underdogs a while ago but they took everything down
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

MOO2 still appears regularly in UK compilation titles and I only bought my replacement for my worn out original some 18 months ago. You probably can find it on a warez site somewhere but not on the ones that make sure their abandonware truly is abandoned. To accurately meet the definition the software must not have been retailed for 5 years.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

*bump*

In case anybody is still looking for Moo2, Underdogs seems to have put it up (again? - I must have missed it the first time).

Cheers

[Edit: I think the more accurate (and sensible) definition of abandonware is simply dependent upon whether or not software is available commercially - the 5 year limit is a little arbitrary as there is a lot still sold after more than 5 years and likewise a lot that ceases production long before.

IMHO anyway - for what its worth... ]
                Last edited by ravagon; June 13, 2001, 05:54.

Comment

Pardon me...
                  But in my Best Buy, I've seen both the Mac and PC version of MoO2 for sale.

Now, Microprose, on the other hand, seems to be "dead". Hasbro seemed to have been busy raping it's worthwhile titles, but since it's all Infrogrames now, who knows?

If you owned MoO2 before, feel free to pick up a copy from a warez site. Microprose would replace the media gone defective if they were anything more then a toy box with some good name brand products these days.
                  -Darkstar
                  (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

I saw MicroProse put out AH's Squad Leader a while ago. There might be some life left...
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Any store that has bargin bin games should have half a dozen copies laying around. Definitly worth the 10$
                      My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                      from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                      --MarkG

and by MikeH
                      she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

I recently purchased two additional full copies of MoO2 for $8 a piece. There were three copies, two shrinkwrapped, one not, thrown on top of the BJ's software table. The unwrapped one had the CD, book, registration card, even that cardboard P-10 gaming network invitation 'CD'--in short, everything. I bought that, and one of the shrinkwrapped copies (the wrapped one will remain that way, as a collector's item). The games weren't even in the club's inventory system--I had to wait fifteen minutes for a manager to come along and do an ovewride.

I now regret not getting that third copy--if it's still there the next time I go, I'll pick it up.

Then I'll have four.

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Ther is MOOII for Mac at this site

as well as CivI and all versions of Civ II for PC...
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                            *bump*

In case anybody is still looking for Moo2, Underdogs seems to have put it up (again? - I must have missed it the first time).

Cheers
                            Umm... I checked Underdogs and it does not appear to be up. They point you to a commercial store to buy it.

So I guess it is not yet abandoned.
                            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The Under Dogs have MOO1, and for a brief time they also had MOO2, though infogrames told them to take it down. ( I assume)

At the official MOO3 site, you can get starlords, which is the original.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X