Improve MOO2 performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improve MOO2 performance

You guys may well already know this but there is a configuration file that lists the location of the CD. You can copy the entire contents of the CD to your harddrive which is a much faster device than the CD player and is spinning anyway. Then redirect this file to point to that directory on the harddrive.

My computer was actually overheating by all the CD accesses and the game would pause everytime it needed to reload the music track or whatever it was doing.

Now it is way faster.

If you didn't already know, this will seriously help your game.

Yes, this is mentioned in LBs install instructions and I also included in my dosbox guide recently:

DOSBox supports IPX since version 0.65 and it improved significantly the efficiency of MOO2 MP Online Games. Keep in mind that by using DOS...

From step1 there:
    I strongly recommend to use the full install option. When this option is unavailable (AFAIK only the European releases have it) you should copy the entire CD onto the hard drive. When you are copying you can feel free to say 'Yes to All' when it asks to overwrite the files. (Without these steps you will need to mount your CD drive.) Once all the files are copied you will possibly need to edit the 'ORIONCD.INI' file within the C:\MPS\ORION2 folder. Change the top line in the file to C:\MPS\ORION2
    So it seems we have:
    a) European (or just German?) release with full install option.
    b) other releases where you can simply copy the cd to harddrive
    c) some further releases where you have also to alter the ini file.
    "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Working...
    X