MOO3 Lives !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO3 Lives !

MOO3 is still alive! Like most people, I shelved MOO3 shortly after it came out. However, from the ashes of the official v1.25 patch several modders have tweaked, prodded and modded the game to the point that it is now the game that I play more than any other. And I keep coming back to it. I play Oblivion, Morrowing GotY, Crown of Glory, Civ IV, TOAW, GalCiv II, RoN, Rome Total War, Hearts of Iron II and several others. But MOO3 now gets more of my time than any of them. I recommend that anyone interested check out this thread or just download and install this Mod after updating the game to v1.25.

Cloaking/ECM/ECCM/visibilty system: Fixed
    Point defense: fixed
    Diplomacy and economics: much improved
    Various bugs and stalls: fixed
    New galaxies, variable missile & Fighter speeds, new weapons, and lots of other stuff: Added
    The UI has been improved.

All in all it is a much, much improved game. If you like SE IV, then you can micromanage MOO3 to your heart's content. If you hate micromanagement, then quickly create a couple of development plans and let your governors run your planets. With their help I can do a 200 planet empire turn in about 5 minutes (without combat) or spend over an hour. Your choice.

Tropical Thread link:

Tropical download: http://www.filelodge.com/files/room1...20Complete.zip
    Last edited by solops; June 23, 2006, 14:37.

Nice. Though after playing GalCiv2 I dont think I'll reach your level of enthusiasm....

Comment

I already have. This has definitely rekindled the flame.

One thing I cannot get over is not knowing exactly which parts of the game are broken, and which parts are fixed.

Does ECM work??
      Does armor piercing work??

It's nice having that sweet list of what's fixed in the moo3 patcher... but I don't know exactly what was broken in the first place =?

Comment

See above. ECM and a few of the many things that were fixed are listed. The "fixes" and assorted mod packages that bundle the fixes all document things pretty well.

Comment

Bah... can't polish a turd.

I rank MOO3 as my biggest game disapointment ever... civ3playtheworld is the runner up.

Comment

I absolutely agree with the opening post.

I still get MOO3 out sometimes to play it. After you have mastered the steep learning cliff it is actually enjoyable
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I burned my copy and went off to play moo2... I would love a moo4 though. and for everyone at quicksilver to stop making games ever again... especially that demi guy.

He said 2 weeks before it was released... this game is going to be a classic.....Fricking lier
              Come visit the SMAC Mod
              You can download the latest mod by
              http://code.google.com/p/civ4smac/
              Fan of the original SMAC? join us and help

Comment

I have again returned to MOO3, it is really enjoyable after the patches and tweaks. I have found that this place is the best for making the unplayable into something enjoyable and with quite good doccu also (not often we see that one noo):

This guy has really turned the tables of the game!

/Schedim

Comment

Hi, just got the game.......got the patcher and patch files. Cant get it to work...........all I get is "unable to locate/open executable".

Ok, well I read the read me file for the dll, and found out that it needed to be in the root directory,(unlike the rest of the patch files which need to be in the patcher file). Presto.......installing patches as I speak .

Well I have a download version, which I found out is not compatible with the patcher. So I ordered a CD version off of ebay and will have it next week .
                  Last edited by Conquistador45; March 31, 2007, 07:31.

Comment

@Conquistador: enjoy it man, it's really fun if you stick with it long enough to make up your own mind.

Comment

But, do Dev Plans actually work? I never saw any evidence they did. Perhaps that is part of the problem - the game is pretty opaque, and I never really know what is going on.

That is a stark contrast to GalCiv2.

I do like parts of Moo3, and do load it from time to time. But not often.

Hydro

Comment

Playing MOO3 with Bhruic's fan patches is a joy. Playing without them is a waste of time. Get them here.

Update with the official 1.25 patch and then add Bhruic's. It is a whole new game.

Comment

I was a MOO3 maniac following its development and posting on the old MOO3 boards at quicksilver way back when. Then the game came out, I bought it, tried it, then began cursing the universe for such treachery

Fast forward to now, a few weeks ago I got the itch and installed MOO3 on a whim, installed the official patch, and one called strawberry? WOW, I'm in love. Perhaps I needed the wisdom that only the passage of time offers to appreciate the beauty of macro-management.

Micromanagement is for chimps.

MOO3 may be mostly ugly, and the space combat is pathetic..let alone the ground combat, but my vivid imagination more than makes up for the sub-par graphics (really now, what was quicksilver thinking using BINK??? and VOXELS???) I almost feel sorry for all the insults I flung at the developers in the days following its initial release....well almost.

Time mends all wounds it seems.

Comment

What is strawberry? A user patch or mod?

Hydro

Comment

I'm waiting on someone to decide MoO4 is worth developing tbh.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X