This was odd . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was odd . . .

I was playing over the weekend and had an odd situation arise. Nobody left in the galaxy but me and the Trilarians, and the Trils only had two colonies left. (I had abstained from the last vote because I really wanted to just crush the Trils in a military victory). I had two zort/merc titans in Tril space, with more ships on the way. Unfortunately, all of my other ships had to pass through a nebula to get into Tril space, so they were going to be several turns getting there. The Trils had star bases at their colonies, adamantium armor, IIRC, and 5 battleships. Their bbs carried enough interceptors and ecm stuff that I couldn't get my missiles to hit the bbs. So I pulled off of Colony A and headed for Colony B, in the hopes of hitting it before their fleet arrived. Success - I hit Colony B, took down the SB and bombed the colony. I then headed back for Colony A. I arrived before their fleet, and launched my missiles. I guess I didn't really think before launching, because I launched all of my missiles at the planet, rather than the SB. Result: wiped out the population. So at that point, the Trils had one colony with a SB, five bbs, and zero population. And the game continued! I've never seen an empire with zero pop survive before, so I thought the game would end right there, but I still had to attack and take down the SB before the game ended. Maybe I should have just kept playing to see what happened . . .

Not seen it, but I had seen a few report it.

Comment

I've seen that happen before, where the planet is killed, but the star base remains. I haven't seen it as the last planet, but it sounds neat.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I've used biological weapons to zero the population of a planet. Gradually, the buildings decay through lack of maintenance; when the last building has gone, the planet ceases to have an owner.

Btw, I reckon we should be allowed to invade and/or settle a lifeless world and take control of the machinery. Otherwise, what is assisted extinction for?
        ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/
        Zoe Trope

Comment

True. A Bug. LordBrazen tries to fix it. Seems tricky.

Suggestions for further fixes?

Move here then: http://www.spheriumnorth.com/orion-forum/nfphpbb/
          "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Well, obviously there are still thousands alive in the fleet and the star base- so why would they be immidately out of the game?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Battlestar Galactica didn't concede either.

Yes, a nice feature but a bit strange that it depends on a starbase.

(To clarify: I used the term "bug" because of zoes observation that you can't invade zero pop planets. This part is exploitable in MP. Untouchable outposts a few turns.)
              "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Over the weekend, I had two more oddities crop up. They didn't seem worth starting a new thread over. The first was when I tried to move colonists. The colonists that I wanted to move were industrial workers on a planet that, as I recall, was busy housing away. My food supply was in the negative, so I wanted to make them farmers. Picked 'em up, and tried to drop them into the farming slot on a different planet within the same system. I got a message saying something like "No more slots for this job." I tried it a couple of times, and kept getting the same message. So I dropped them into the worker slot, and then moved them to farming. No error message. Just something I hadn't seen. The second oddity is a result of my having uninstalled my German version of MOOII and then installing the game in English. I had not expected my saved games to be available after the reinstall, but they were. So I loaded the latest one up, and away I went. Apparently, one of my colonies had been working on a colony ship because, a few turns into the game I got a turn summary that stated that "Planet XYZ has just completed construction Kolonieschiff." So the English version is working, sort of. . .

Comment

Originally posted by GameGeek The colonists that I wanted to move were industrial workers on a planet that, as I recall, was busy housing away. My food supply was in the negative, so I wanted to make them farmers. Picked 'em up, and tried to drop them into the farming slot on a different planet within the same system. I got a message saying something like "No more slots for this job." I tried it a couple of times, and kept getting the same message. So I dropped them into the worker slot, and then moved them to farming. No error message. Just something I hadn't seen.
                  Got this one again last night. Anybody else ever seen this?

Comment

I see it from time to time, including today. It seems to happen when I go to farmers.

So I moved it to scientist and then to farmer and it is happy. Never really paid much attention to it.

Comment

I guess what's odd about it is that I've never run into it playing the German version, only the English version, and then I ran into it twice in a matter of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                      X