movement to buy and put master of orion code in the public domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movement to buy and put master of orion code in the public domain

movement to buy and put master of orion code in the public domain to allow upgrade to latest window or mac OS, if all who is interested contribute some money, we can make it happen
    this way, we can allow all independent developers to upgrade the game

Very nice idea. However how much money do we need? We are already a small community.

PK

Comment

first things, have alook at this website to see that it is possible (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/)

The project started in August 2002, when Toys For Bob released the partially ported sources of Star Control 2 3DO version to the fan community. Our goal is to port this wonderful game to current personal computers and operating systems. It is and will remain 100% free of charge, and anyone can contribute to the project and thus help make it even better. For more information, look at our info page.

all we need is to buy at a discount the source codes for moo ( which after the moo3 frasco, we should be able to get it for a song ) and then post in on the web for others to use as base to develop new titles

all we need then is for the public to contribute to the shareware

this way, we are proactive instead of sitting and moaning our loss

are we able to find out where the source is and at what conditions can we get a copy

Comment

Great work! I wish u success with moo2

PK

Comment

hi, i am talking about the original MOO here
          moo2 is already window compatible
          but moo cannot run on most xp window machine
          what we need to to get more moo fans to know about this and spread the word
          it would be great to have a version of moo
          that is hi-res and runs on the latest windows OS

Comment

Moo2 may be windows compatible but people want to play it online. Windows version of it has damn slow network play and dos version doesn't work on all machines or needs many tricks not yet known. There's not even a tcp/ip option in multiplay menu...

I don't know much about moo1. Tried starlords or something long time ago but didn't get addicted to it like moo2...

Comment

It'd certainly be easier to finish porting moo2 to windows than it would be to port moo1. I wouldn't call moo2 completely windows compatible, since the windows version has a bunch of problems, like the animations going super fast on modern computers (this doesn't happen with the DOS version), mouse cursor being flashy and/or slow, etc. I figure the developers just didn't have time to properly finish the windows version.
              "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

I would rather see the artwork to Moo2 bought out than the source code to either, personally... There are plenty of people who could help rewrite the source code from scratch if the artwork was freely available. Of course the best would be both.

Who owns the Moo* stuff nowadays, anyway? Maybe they could be convinced to liberate Moo1 or Moo2 as a PR gesture?

Comment

good question,
                  we cannot do anything until we know that we can get the co-operation of the people with moo IP

i am sure that there is plenty of shareware programmers who will love to have access to this and help upgrade it

there is still a vacuum out there for moo type game because so far up till now no game has come close
                  to moo for sheer playability

as far as the graphics is concerned, i do not think it is a big problem,
                  we could even open it up to the world to submit their own favorite ship and incoporate the most voted ones
                  this also goes for all the other graphics like most loved
                  skins etc

the main key is the AI of the moo which is above average and that helps the game to maintain it's playability

Comment

Keep this idea alive. I like it. For example, the prospect of building a massively multiplayer MOO1 with a persistant universe is a very exciting idea to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X