Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing MoO2 over LAN?

Hi there

Me and my flatmate discovered the joys of MoO2 recently, and we tried to play it over our homemade network (you know, with ethernet adapters, cross-cables and the like). But, sadly, it seems that MoO2 only supports COMM port connections for multiplayer games and neither me or my friend use the old 56k COMM port modems anymore.

So, how can we play MoO2 against eachother via a regular LAN? Is it possible or do we have to play via an internet gaming service like Kali?

Cheers to all

It possible to play orion via lan. Install spx/ipx network protocol and run orion95. Choose mutliplayer network and start new game. Other guy should join u.

Otherwise see this : http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/

PK

Comment

I've been trying to get multiplayer over LAN to work myself, with no luck. I've gotten it so that two DOS orion2v140's computers can see each other, and either one can join a game hosted by the other. However, it doesn't get past race & flag selection. After clicking the start-game button, the host goes through race and flag selection, and then gets a black screen. Meanwhile, the client stays on "Waiting to join game" perpetually.

With orion95, they can't even see games hosted by each other. But I'm not completely done trying.

Edit: Well, I'm not done trying with the DOS version w/ LordBrazen's patch. The windows version is just meh (the animations, including fading in and out, etc, mostly seem to be so fast in the Windows version as to be unnoticeable here, plus it seems crashy-er, plus of course LB's patch is only for the DOS version).

Woo, sound isn't stuttering in DOSBOX anymore! Maybe I can get network play to work with that...

Edit #2: Oh wow, I said most of this already in another thread. I'd forgotten! Actually I thought I had saved the post somewhere (I didn't) instead of actually posting it (I did), but couldn't figure out WHERE I had saved it (of course!).
      Last edited by Shadowlord; March 16, 2005, 01:25.
      "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

I have no problems with the 1.4 patch and my ME and 95.

For XP: Some german mooniacs told me...XP-LAN worked for them after following these instructions:

In order to play LAN games of Master of Orion II v1.40 on Windows XP Pro, you will need to follow the regular Installation on Windows XP in...
        "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

I followed your instructions, and those on the websites, and it works perfectly now It was all about the IPX protocol, which I hadn't yet installed on the network.

Many thanks to all and happy gaming

Comment

The problem I had was that those instructions say to load nw16 and vwipxspx, which I didn't have, and which the Novell Client didn't install. (So I've been trying to use vipx instead, which *is* in this version (the latest) of the Novell client)

Perhaps I should try older versions of of the Novell Client. :P
            "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Novell is crap. Everytime I pass their building here I feel like spitting. If you are using a LAN, just install the M$ IPX driver. MS is crap too. Come to think of it, everything is crap. Well not everything.
              You forgot one thing... I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Comment

The MS IPX driver (on Win2k and XP) doesn't support DOS at all.

Comment

oh, DOS. That thing. Sorry.
                  You forgot one thing... I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X