Please help installing moo1 on XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help installing moo1 on XP

I downloaded MOO1 from johnsullvan.com, ad followed the instructions for installing it to a tee; however, when I went to modify the autoexec.nt file I used notepad to open it. Now when I try to install it, I get a message that my autoexec file is not approproate for dos. does anyone know how I can convert it back to its origional form, or does anyone know why it won't install?

Xp will use autoexec.nt as if it was autoexec.bat when emulating a DOS app. So save the file in the directory that the app is in as .nt.

Actually you do not need auto or config.nt for Moo1.

What msg do you see, if any.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm really not much of a computer guy, and don't really know what you mean by saving the file that the app is in as .nt. Saving it from word pad as .nt leaves it as a word pad file and I get the same error.

If I do not need auto of config.nt for moo1, how do I remove it from the install. If I try to delete the path from the program, advanced tab in the properties window of the install file, I get another error saying that install is not sutible for dos applications

Comment

Originally posted by clarke_c
        Sorry, but I'm really not much of a computer guy, and don't really know what you mean by saving the file that the app is in as .nt. Saving it from word pad as .nt leaves it as a word pad file and I get the same error.

If I do not need auto of config.nt for moo1, how do I remove it from the install. If I try to delete the path from the program, advanced tab in the properties window of the install file, I get another error saying that install is not sutible for dos applications
        Here is what one may look like:

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
        REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
        REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
        lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
        lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
        lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

REM The following line enables Sound Blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM.
        REM The command for setting the BLASTER environment is as follows:
        REM SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
        REM where:
        REM A specifies the sound blaster's base I/O port
        REM I specifies the interrupt request line
        REM D specifies the 8-bit DMA channel
        REM P specifies the MPU-401 base I/O port
        REM T specifies the type of sound blaster card
        REM 1 - Sound Blaster 1.5
        REM 2 - Sound Blaster Pro I
        REM 3 - Sound Blaster 2.0
        REM 4 - Sound Blaster Pro II
        REM 6 - SOund Blaster 16/AWE 32/32/64
        REM
        REM The default value is A220 I5 D1 T3 and P330. If any of the switches is
        REM left unspecified, the default value will be used. (NOTE, since all the
        REM ports are virtualized, the information provided here does not have to
        REM match the real hardware setting.) NTVDM supports Sound Blaster 2.0 only.
        REM The T switch must be set to 3, if specified.
        SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM To disable the sound blaster 2.0 support on NTVDM, specify an invalid
        REM SB base I/O port address. For example:
        REM SET BLASTER=A0
        -------------------------------------

Now it is really free form entries that are either comments (REM statements) or command that DOS would understand such SET or executables such as COM files or BAT files.

Anyway if you SAVE AS "autoexec.nt" in the MPS/ORION folder/directory it will be fine.

It will not matter what you do, if you do not tell the app to use it via the PIF settings. IOW you go to the Orion.exe and right click and select properties. Select the program tab and then advance button. It will popup the pif settings. They point to the system default NT files. Change it to point to yours.

Comment

I apologize for being so ignorant, but the file you posted is exactly the file the instructions told me to modify. They said to REM out all lines starting with lh, which I did, and I saved as "autoexec.nt" in the foledr I created for MOO1. I have gone to the orion.exe file and selected properties and advanced, given the path, and have done the same for the install file, yet, I still get an error that my autoexe file, no c, is not sutible for DOS applications.

Comment

Lets go back to the basics. I would remove teh autoexec.nt file and the reference to it in Orion.exe. I do not use it in any NT or XP system I have run Moo1 and it works fine.

All that should be needed is tht your hardware be able to emulate EMS. Some motherboards will and some will not.

If not, then you will have to get DOSBOX from the web and try it.

Comment

How do I remove the refrence to autoexec.nt in Orion.exe? Do I just delete the path I put in under the program, advanced path in properties?

Comment

%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

Yes make it look like this one.

Comment

One of the ideas in using the advance function is use the EMM=RAM to try to force emulation of EMS.

To see msg from the install or execution, check the do not close on exit so it will not close the window.

My experience is that if the system does not provide EMS on its own, then the Config.nt won't do it either.

Comment

Sweeeet!!!! I got it working. I haven't played this game in years. I thank you very much for your help. By the way, I did have to download and install dosbox, and delete the origional file. I followed all directions listed on the jonsullivan site with the exception of the autoecec.nt instructions. Now it works great. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Super

Comment

Working...
                      X