MOO2 after 5 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO2 after 5 years

Played MOO2 for the first time in 5 maybe six years. Played at least 10 games last few days.

Started on 2 below impossible cause I thought I was a bit rusty. Beat them easily with my custom race. Increased to hard. Beat them again. Increased to impossible beat them again. Same strategy and since it's a sure win strategy and rather boring I'm dropping it.

The race must not be repulsive. Since you won't be entering into any wars, it's best to choose penalties from ground combat, uncreative, feudalism or maybe even ship defences. Bonuses: charismatic is a must, the rest is up to you, either aquatic or subterranean and higher production and food, or tolerant and high production. You sit back, deal with all the races and wait till you're elected which happens pretty fast.

If any wars, they are against repulsive nations which are your opponents in the elections by definition (sakkra or silicoid). Best to choose one of them as base race.

The same strategy applies to MOO1, although it's much more difficult to achieve same results.

Yes. The Moo2-Ai is pretty dumb. But nevertheless it is the best MP-Game on earth.

So you should simply start MP-Games via kali.

-------------------

btw.....is the moo1-ai so much stronger?
    I played it many many times ~10 years ago.

I cant remember that I had any problems in my preferred setup there. (impossible huge gal.)
    "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

The MOO1 AI is probably the strongest of all. You can beat him but it sure takes some time. Occasionally you can be in a really difficult position provided unfavourable start and possibly even lose (I mean lose the vote and then fight the final war).

I think I'll try MOO2 MP with my friend since the java MOO MP isn't functional. I hope Ray K will invest some time into adding this very important aspect to his great game.

Comment

MP play requires knowledge and skill sets that are not very common. Even a decent size outfit like Firaxis, did not know how to implement it.

Someone that builds a car, may not have the ability to make a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by siron
          Yes. The Moo2-Ai is pretty dumb. But nevertheless it is the best MP-Game on earth.

I've started a LAN game with a friend of mine on Saturday. I took Sakkra and he took Klacks. We ended up very near to each other, just a wormhole apart.

It's great, though it takes time between turns. Is it normal (this is my first MP game)? The game also crashed once between turns, I don't know why. I was out of the game abruptly and back in windows. The file was Orion95 (win version). Is this something common?

Comment

Thats normal for the win version (orion95.exe). Very painful......therefore we play the dos version with the new 1.4 patch. (dos version works under 95/98/ME and XP..............only 2k is a big problem)

How to Install Master of Orion II v1.40 Installing on Windows XP Installing on Windows 95 / 98 / ME NOTE: unfortunately Windows 2000 does no...

for XP-Users in a Lan ----> u have to modify your autoexec-file:

In order to play LAN games of Master of Orion II v1.40 on Windows XP Pro, you will need to follow the regular Installation on Windows XP in...

You should have zero lag then.....

Comment

It seems I have the DOS version of the game too. Thanks for your advice. I'll test it in the LAN on Monday or Tuesday afternoon. I'll also apply patch 1.40 and make the changes to autoexec.nt for LAN play.

Comment

Originally posted by siron

-------------------

btw.....is the moo1-ai so much stronger?
                I played it many many times ~10 years ago.

I cant remember that I had any problems in my preferred setup there. (impossible huge gal.)
                yeah the only thing that I find a drag about Kali games is that they take SO LONG...i mean after t200 it's 5+ minutes a turn, there should be a mini game or SOMETHING...geez. i cant play mp unless i have a novel to read lol.

another bad thing is that it takes forever

did i mention it takes forever

Comment

I rarely play t200-games. What setup? huge pre without whs? And who was your opponent?!.....there are some (mebbe so 3 or 4) VERY slow player....I dont play against these slow players very often.......(and then I attack them with +shipattack races.....otherwise battles are too long )

I prefer 1v1 or 4way in large or medium gal with whs. This games are pretty fast. They are rarely longer than t130-150.

Comment

Working...
                  X