Colony protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colony protection

Could somebody please help me with some questions?

I try to train because of a LAN-session in the future:
    3-4 humans and some AI in a Large Universum.

Uni/Tol or Uni/Aqua/Tele

How many colonies do you have at turn 60?

I always have problems with new colonies having 2 men but no starbase when the enemy blocks or destroys them.

How do I protect myself?

Is it better to build first starbases or ships in order to protect new colonies?

Could somebody post a list of the standard-race-picks? I never know, which race I shoud spy on and which races will attack me early - till it's too late...

"How many colonies do you have at turn 60?"

Depends on many things:

- tol or tele? (i would rarely build any cships with tele early on.)
    - average or pre?
    - how many AI?
    - system quality in your neighborhood
    - wormholes in your neighborhood

but even with tol i would not build more than 3 cships in your setup. It is better to have some fleet to kill the AI early on.

"Is it better to build first starbases or ships in order to protect new colonies?"

some ffs.....u need them anyway for monsters.

1 empty ff with battlepods and aug eng (runs in the corner) and:

a) ffs with battlepods and 2*2 shot fast mirv nukes or
    b) ffs with battlepods and interceptor

"I never know, which race I shoud spy on and which races will attack me early - till it's too late..."

spy on demo. play tele.....and rape the ai early on.....than you dont have the latter problem.
    "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Thanks siron.

I forgot to say, that we play strategic – therefore we can’t design ships. I practised in SP with Uni/Aqua/Tele average – when we play MP there will be about 4 MP and 4 AI in a Large Universum.

In the last games I built no starbases and colonyships anymore but assimilated the next race with 1 Battleship and 5 Destroyers using Mass Driver/Trit. at turn 65. In one game I had to rise taxes, put everything on trading and let my people starve.

After this I needed a break because I was too weak for planets with a Missle Base or Fighter Gar. I searched Supercomputers, Robo Miners and Ion Drive. During this long period, I irritated the most aggressive AI with the rest of my fleet and some Outposts, that he couldn’t come nearer than 7 parsecs.

I also sent him about 4 spy’s. It’s a pity, that I can’t see the AI’s face, when the star base of his home planet vanishes into thin air while my Battleship is in the neighbourhood…

Meanwhile I built on my 2 HW’s about 5 Battleships and took this aggressive AI down. Hopefully still alive I went for Autolab, Stealth Suit, spied for the missing Cells, Communicators, something against Pollution and made a go for the Deep Core Mine. At this time I often won by vote.

This way of “colony protection” works out quite well in single player impossible. But I believe the strategy has some flaws and I wouldn’t last in MP.

Today some friends will come to visit me – so wish me luck.

What do you think about this weird strategy?

Comment

Dont waste time on strategic battle system. It kills half fun from moo. With time u will play online i guess and u wont know what to do with your ships!

PK

Comment

I dont know strategic battle very well. There is just 1 crazy guy on kali who likes it sometimes. I played some "just 10 positve picks (with spy and charis ban)" in a small gal with him.

The AI is stronger there for sure. (the only reason to play it imho)

But who likes to play the AI after almost 10 years???

It is so artificial, isnt it? The Ai doesnt really "react". It is just some boring algorithm.

I like real flesh as counterpart.

Or do you watch the same artificial pron after 10 years again and again???
          --------------------
          So you should start with tactical combat as mentioned by PK. It is the best part of the game. (Even FAR FAR better than battles in moo1.)

Comment

" There is just 1 crazy guy on kali who likes it sometimes."
            Druz?

BTW, I personally hate stratetic, because I believe battles are a GREAT and INTEGRAL human skill of the game. Being able to use ships in a way that your enemy doesn't expect you to is great fun (or getting that kind of treatement from your opponent).

I understand ppl wanting to play it for the sake of a different experience, but I don't. I play all sorts of settings (including mazochistic and unusual ones such as "all uncreative / all creative" etc but the strategic one takes a lot out of the game i believe. )

Comment

I dont wanna insult Druz......but i think he isnt crazy at all.

It is dirt-bag. He also like autorun battles...and such crazy setups....

Comment

Originally posted by siron
                Or do you watch the same artificial pron after 10 years again and again???

Oh, artificial. I was wondering. I was thinking, the same woman can be very entertaining after many years, but I think that is because of the adaptiveness.

The AI is fun because you can relax and not worry about losing. Sure it isn't a challenge, but you realize that there are people that play online games (like Counter Strike) and they cheat to get an unfair advantage. Obviously there is some entertainment in not worrying about losing.
                You forgot one thing... I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Comment

moo2-ai is surely not a woman. Or do you beat women again and again and again. I hope not.

"Sure it isn't a challenge, but you realize that there are people that play online games (like Counter Strike) and they cheat to get an unfair advantage."

Are u afraid of cheats in moo2-online games? Most important bug (the credit cheat) was fixed a year ago.

Comment

I think the best colony protection is understanding that there really isn't any protection when your ships aren't there. Colony protection is about timing. The trick is knowing when to leave a colony and gauging if you should leave ships behind for defense. Sometimes I don't care if the AI takes a specfic planetary system because I'm getting the better of side of the trade. Anyway, if you get your fleet out in the wind and the AI shows up and can take out your undefended planetary defenses (they almost always can), then the AI is going to go to the next planet or colony and the next and the next. Starbases are for command points and are really just fleet enhancements. In difficult battles they usually don't last long.

Widget4

Comment

Working...
                    X