Trying out moo2 again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmxa1
    I can't recall, but I am betting that the Sillies surrendered to the Psilons. You see that from time to time.
    Seems to happen in my games constantly, when I'm about to conquer an AI empire. They surrender to someone who's already powerful, and with whom I currently have treaties.

Comment

Brutalisk: M$ and EA have distribution, and distribution is everything. It doesn't matter to sales whether the only ice cream available is chili-flavored and curdles in the stomach, so long as it IS the only one available.
      ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/
      Zoe Trope

Comment

OK, A couple of things I have noticed.

1. when you don't accept the high council vote, the whole galaxy is suddenly under the flag of the new high master. Even though the worlds are still populated by whoever held them at the time of the vote. I noticed this when I took over planets at the end of the last couple of games. I guess it cuts down on that moo exploit where you would steal tech from the weakest empire, even though it had all the techs of the strongest.

2. if you play uncreative, you can preview your spellbook at the beginning of the game to see if it's got the vital techs you really need. theoretically, with enough patience, you can get the techs you would have chosen anyway, thus negating the basic disadvantage of uncreative. would take a LOT of patience to get all the techs right, though...

Dang, I don't know if I can go back to Moo now. I stayed up till 3 am playing last night and my head hurts fromlack of sleep
        Last edited by Father Beast; January 27, 2005, 14:44.
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Oh, and I played my first custom race. The Vulcans. Democracy and +research. simple, but what I wanted.
          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Zoetrope: i'm referring to how they killed innovation...

EA Sports -> every eyar a new one comes out with slightly improved graphics and a couple of alterations in game-play. Plus ofcourse an update on the team rosters and that's it.

C&C series -> EA got hold of it, it stopped evolving and it's the same "gameplay" just better graphics and new story line in every game

Age of Milking -> Some improvements from the first to the second but from then on, milking the franchise

etc

Don't get me wrong. They are the ones dominating for a good reason. Their business tactics though have killed most of the independents and the way the gaming industry is driven there is no room for innovation anymore. (with the rare glimses from select few)

Comment

? the newest command and conquer isn't much changed from c&c95. they did grab some UI stuff from Blizzard, but those were reasonably good ideas.

Comment

Whoha: you are reinforcing what I said

Dune 2 started it, but Blizzard's warcraft and war2, starcraft etc are the ones who led the way to true innovaiton and gameplay.

The gaming industry has turned into an entertainment industry in similar ways as the movie-making in far more ways than just the $$$ involved.

Business has now taken over and business sense dictates that every game the big companies undertake keeps risk of failure to a minimum.. (innovation / new ideas is always the first thing to get hit)

Comment

Why is it called Business? It is Laziness.
                  ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/
                  Zoe Trope

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetrope
                    Several years ago I read of an editor called "Angry Ants" to increase the frequency and severity of Antaran attacks. Despite vigorous attempts to track it down, it's never surfaced. I wonder whether anyone has the means to recreate the concept?
                    LB works on it now:

Antarian Ship Designs
                    Today, I have been taking a brief look at Antarian ship designs with the hopes of eventually modifying them to make them a stronger opponent. In the game there are two types of ships generated by the Antarians. Those that are for defending the Antarian homeworld and those that are for Attacking the other players. There are currently only slight differences in the designs.

I have summarized the designs in the following tables:

[...]

Today, I have been taking a brief look at Antarian ship designs with the hopes of eventually modifying them to make them a stronger opponent...
                    "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Working...
                    X