least favorite MOO1 race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• least favorite MOO1 race

my vote is the Mrrshans. their fighting advantage isn't anything I'v ever taken serious advantage of. plus, the default name for their home world is just lame
    Alkari
    15.22%
    Bulrathi
    21.74%
    Darlok
    6.52%
    Human
    2.17%
    Klackon
    2.17%
    Meklar
    2.17%
    Mrrshan
    26.09%
    Psilon
    4.35%
    Sakkra
    4.35%
    Silicoid
    10.87%
    None. They're all pretty good
    4.35%
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Mrrs, but I don't like playing the Sillies either.

Comment

agreed, Last Time I Played silics I was royally upset I couldn't gaia upgrade my planets. I mena, I know I don't get the fertile bonus to growth, but I would have liked the +25/50% to base size.

Hmmnn.. someoneelse voted and didn't say anything...
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Alkari and Mrrshans are the 2 I had the most troubles with.
        Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

OT here, but do most feel that impossible on Moo1 is much harder than Moo2? I find it is a lot more work and a lot less fun.

Comment

Oh for sure, a big part of that is the extra advantage you get from designing your own race though.

I think Moo2 impossible would be real hard if you used a stock race.
            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I was thinking today about, if warp interdicters where not in the game of Moo2, that alone would make the game tougher (in SP).

Knowing that you can put them up and get time to get back is what frees me to expand.

I am gaining the upper hand right now in Moo1 med size impossible game and it has been a never ending gang attack.

All I could do was to fight them off, until I got HEF and Omega bombs. The Psilons did not get much in the way of pop boost or soil and also robotic controls, or they may have over whelmed me.

Nothing but missile battles till the HEF, just relentless. In Moo2, you do not see wave after wave and those Alk with those thousands of small ships can be hellish.

Comment

I think Moo2 impossible would be real hard if you used a stock race.
                Some more than others. Unless you take the Elerians, it probably wouldn't be as big a handicap as using the AI ship designs.

What really would improve the game for me would be a mod that gives the AI a catalog of player-authored ship designs it will choose from when it has the required techs.

Comment

I voted Silicoids. They're not the weakest race, but I don't like playing them because they require so much extra micromanagement because of their slow growth rate.

Comment

Silicoids are the most powerful race after Klackons. Hell, maybe even more powerful than Klacks.

The worst are Mrrshan and Bulrathi, with Bulrathi being my choice for their stupidity in researching computers.

Now as for which race I don't like playing, that would be Psilons cause I enjoy the challenge of having techs not offered for research.

Comment

Re: least favorite MOO1 race

Originally posted by Father Beast
                      my vote is the Mrrshans. their fighting advantage isn't anything I'v ever taken serious advantage of. plus, the default name for their home world is just lame

Mrrshans and Alkaris are excellent in early dogfights with small laser ship designs.

Comment

Personally I think Humans are best because you can manage wars very easily, and can manipulate the other races into fighting each other very well.

Bulrathis are the worst, I think.

Comment

I don't like the Bulrathi... give me a Sakkra for ground combat anyday.
                          I changed my signature

Comment

Psilons. They're far to good. And, everybody likes them. That's enough reason for me!

Comment

5 votes Mrrshan, 6 votes Bulrathi. And I'm the only person that voted Darloks?

Let me tell you why the Bulrathi are not the worst race in the game. Their troop strength means early on you never have to worry about defense. The early bombs are so crappy and enemy invaders so weak that it's not even an issue. If you build ships, it's so you can start taking enemy planets. Once the dangerous bombs start coming out, it's time to set up some protection. If you haven't secured a definite advantage before that, you probably won't win. They are far from being the best race. Heck, they aren't even a *good* race. But I can tell you they are not the worst.

Regarding the Mrrshan: yeah, they suck as bad as everyone thinks they do. Mrrshan get a bonus to shots fired, Alkari get that same bonus applied to their defense. What sets them apart: Mrrshan get much worse default relations with other races and their research specials are excellent in Weapons, poor in Computers. Alkari are excellent in Propulsion, poor in Shields. Guess what? Alkari don't need shields! They're supposed to use large numbers of fighters as their primary muscle. Shield tech is the easiest to do without in MOO. The cut in computer research on the other hand hurts Mrrshan a lot as the game goes by.

Comment

Working...
                              X