MOO2 Problems on Win2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO2 Problems on Win2K

Found this recommendation for running MOO2 with Win2000 on NT Compatible some time ago:

I found a most mysterious (and thus far, undocumented) way to get Master of Orion II to run *perfectly* under Windows 2000 Professional. Best of all, it's simple.

After reading through dozens of posts on various 'boards online, I saw that over and over again, people were talking about mouse hangups and screen corruption. I was able to replicate all of these problems by turning my video acceleration settings down:

Display Properties/Settings tab/Advanced button/Troubleshooting tab

Obviously, this wasn't a very good solution- in my case, running win2k Pro with Directx9.0b, I was losing control of the mouse (but *not* the keyboard) when I passed beyond the initial game menu screen.

So, convinced that the problem had to be a DirectX issue, I opened DXDIAG.EXE (just open up Start button/Run/ and type "dxdiag").

Then I went to the Display tab and *disabled* all DirectDraw acceleration. Yes, that turns off everything, including Direct3D, so you'll have to set this back to "enable" if you want to play more modern games.

Turning it off worked absolutely perfectly- MOOII runs flawlessly, other than the few well-documented bugs in the the Win95 executable.

I've tested this solution on two machines, with the same results, but I have yet to try it with XP Pro, so testing needs to be performed by somebody in the community. Please pass the word on this solution for game-lovers everywhere... MOOII is a much-loved game, and I'm glad I found a better solution than what I'd documented online :-)
    If not followed, my mouse freezes immediately as one enters race selection. However, even when I did what this guy suggest, I'm not spared from problems all the same.

What happens is that some time into the game when it becomes more complicated and you have five or six planets and perhaps a couple of the Alien races have shown up, the screen goes black or the background gets miscoloured red. This effectively makes continued play impossible.

I wonder if anyone recognizes said phenomena.

Install w98 and be happy ... on virtual pc!

PK

Comment

Thanks for your advice. In fact, since yesterday I've decided to have Win98 march back into my computer! Basically, a friend is being kind and lending me a hard disc so I'll have two computers in one. It's a safe setup.

I'm very keen on joining the Kalimoo league when everything is operating well.
      Last edited by Fusion Rifle; November 24, 2004, 19:58.

Comment

Re: MOO2 Problems on Win2K

Originally posted by Fusion Rifle
        What happens is that some time into the game when it becomes more complicated and you have five or six planets and perhaps a couple of the Alien races have shown up, the screen goes black or the background gets miscoloured red. This effectively makes continued play impossible.

I wonder if anyone recognizes said phenomena.
        I haven't had the problem with the screen going black, but I have faced the red discoloration problem. My solution has been just to Alt + Tab minimize for a moment, then re-maximize (by clicking on the Microprose button on the task bar), and it usually clears the discoloration problem right up. This has been true for me in Win98 and WinXP. I never tried Win2K.

Comment

I did what the author said,but it cannot slove the problem
          Last edited by tigerblow; December 12, 2004, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerblow
            I did what the author said,but it cannot slove the problem
            Sorry that my suggestion didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't have any better suggestions, as computer bugs really aren't my strong suit. Good luck in fixing this.

Comment

Working...
            X