MOO3 Experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO3 Experience...

Hi there, I almost bought this in WH Smiths today- but didn't, thought I'd come here and read the forum first.
    There seems to be some negative vibes about MOO3 here- so is it worth £20 / €30 of my money?
    Yes, definately...
    9.09%
    Yes, but only if you have several hours to spare downloading mods and updates...
    45.45%
    No, stick with Galactic Civilisations
    27.27%
    No, and trade Galactic Civilisations in for bananas
    18.18%
    -Sir T

It depends, I'd say if you can get it for around 20 USD, and if you have the patience for the game, then its worth it. 20 euros is probably too much to pay for the game as it is.

Comment

If you have the patience to patch, update, mod, and then play long, drawn out epics then this is the game for you. (I'm in this category, you just can't rule the galaxy in an evening, a week, or a month.) You'll need to experiment to see what your PC can handle.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I'll echo Vince278's comments, especially regarding patience. You HAVE to use the patch, and then you'll almost certainly want to do some modding (someone elsewhere is working on a mod that solves the ECM/ECCM/visibility bug, btw, and I think he may just have cracked that nut).

One thing about mods, just in case you need the warning: a lot of them either aren't compatible, or work with the same files and will overwrite one another. So you may want to shop around a bit before you look at mods.

Would I pay 30 Euros for it? No. Again, shop around a little.
        If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Right, ta for advice.

I will probably hold out until the pric comes down a bit...
          -Sir T

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
            One thing about mods, just in case you need the warning: a lot of them either aren't compatible, or work with the same files and will overwrite one another. So you may want to shop around a bit before you look at mods.
            My last game was heavily modded and I ran into that same file overlap problem. All I did was manually edit in whatever overlapped. Its not hard but takes a little more time and patience.

ceroomaster - I haven't looked myself but I've heard its dirt cheap on Amazon.com.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Agreed, Vince. My own version is entirely manually modded, though of course I had a slight (but only slight) advantage in understanding the format.
              If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
                though of course I had a slight (but only slight) advantage in understanding the format.
                Your understanding is better than most. Too bad you weren't able to have more input.

Comment

Working...
                X