No announcement yet.

Modifier EXPRESSIONS in TaskForceRules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifier EXPRESSIONS in TaskForceRules?

I had an interesting thought regarding TaskForceRules: I wondered what would happen if expressions or compound values were used in the Mandatory, Recommended, or Maximize columns?

My first attempt was to substitute two comma-separated modifiers in the Maximize column for several ship types. Unfortunately, that seemed to break the parsing completely.

My second attempt had more promising results. I still used two values in Maximize, but delimited with "+" instead of a comma, in effect making an expression out of it. For instance:

Code:
    Mandatory    Recommended  Maximize

InfoWeap     UniSpace     AccDisEn + FarDamag
    InfoWeap     UniSpace     NearDamg + FireDlay
    InfoWeap     UniSpace     PntDstWp
    InfoMisl     InfoMisl     FarDamag
    InfoFWpn     InfoFWpn     UniSpace
    InfoWeap     UniSpace     FireDlay + MultFire
    OffTgtRg     InfoWeap     OffTgtRg + OffSptRg
    TrpCap       UniSpace     UniSpace
    Colony       UniSpace     UniSpace
    Outpost      UniSpace     UniSpace
    The result wasn't striking, but what it didn't do was break the parsing like the first try; the effect on Auto Build appeared about the same as if only the original/first value was present. However, the fact that this didn't break the parsing altogether suggests to me that there might be room for further experimentation with this. I don't want to pursue it right now and get distracted, but if someone else would like to explore it further please keep us all appraised of what you find.
    Mark/MAC

I think you'll want to go back to commas, but use quote marks around the expression when you do. i.e.:

"AccDisEn, FarDamag"

The reason the + didn't break the parsing is because (I'd wager) the stuff after the space was simply ignored. If you look in other spreadsheets (racemodifiers, for instance) you'll see the quotes used.
    If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Stormhound:

Good point! So noted; I'll give it a try again.
      Mark/MAC

Comment

Stormhound:

Ummm... NOPE. As it happens, I DID do it that way already. When I added the comma-separated modifiers I did it in Excel, and saved the result, so Excel did in fact add the delimiting to those cells. What I cut-and-pasted above came directly from Excel, so of course the quotes weren't visible.

I just duplicated my original effort, and this time checked the text file in NotePad and, sure enough, those cells were delimited with commas.

So... it still didn't work, even done that way; it just doesn't like "lists" in that table. I should clarify that the effect of those cells being rejected rather than parsed was quite obvious: Auto Build designed an LR ship WITH NO WEAPONS AT ALL. Back to my original question, then:

Why does it at least parse the plus-separated expressions when the others were completely rejected, and does that suggest a slightly different form might have truly useful effects?
        Mark/MAC

Comment

Working...
        X