Game balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game balance?

Does anyone else have a problem playing the humans? Even at the easiest level, by the time I make Contact the alien races generally have far more colonies than I have? I am beginning to suspect the game balance? I may be doing something wrong, of course, but I can never seem to match them planet for planet even while colonising at full pelt? I guess the insectoids etc. would hold all the advantages if they could only have hands as we do?

Live long and prosper.

Nobody really ever bothered balancing the races, and the humans are widely regarded as one of the weaker (if not the weakest) races.
    If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Thought I would hear from you, Stormhound. In fact, I was counting on it.

Problem is that I am kinda attached to the human race, being human myself. I would rather like to see a one headed, four limbed, warm-blooded and unscaly race prevail in the Universe along with the handsome features and generous nature I like to think I possess! ;>

Have a great Christmas, Stormhound, and a prosperous New Year!

Christopher C.

Comment

Yea, pick evon for the lowest level.

If the Humans got about 100 more free points(free superior diplomacy for 60 points if you lower it to poor,better environment,better reflexes and accuracy,etc) they would be fairly good.

I think, that following the rules for ship construction for regular manufacturing races, the humans are ok(build 3 ship size classes below your max,etc).

Comment

I liked the challenge of playing the humans as they were. (but yes CC, I've noticed the same thing you have at the top of the thread)
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Thanks for your contributions, gentlemen.

MOO3 is really crying out for a scenario editor. That would help to even out things for we brethren who are either less aggressive (mea culpa!) or just rather fond of the idea of humanity being top dog in a future universe.

Maybe I should wait until GALCIV bring out their promised scenario editor? In terms of concept I prefer MOO3 to GALCIV but I take my metaphorical hat off to Stardock to sticking with the game for a few years with mods and upgrades. More power to them! That is how it should have been with MOO3, helas!

I sure wish I knew something about programming. I am sure a bit of a tweak with the human empire's production capacity would help.

Somethin' else I've noticed. It might have helped that in a big galaxy, which I always go for, the humans had time to expand but nope... about 100 turns in or so you run up against the aliens who have already conquered or colonised a pretty large slice while you are still on you first ten planets!

My ideal scenario would have been to start with a mature empire rubbing up against other mature empires, the Star Trek scenario as I call it. (I always preferred those episodes, particularly in DS9, to some boring one about discovering some quaint new planet.) Something like that was available in both the games 'Star Trek:Birth of the Federation' and will be so hopefully in GALCIV. Heck, for all its deficiencies even 'Reach for the Stars' had a scenario editor!

I am frankly gutted that the game has turned out so unbalanced. With a little perseverance of the Stardock kind, as I say, it could still have been a highly replayable classic. Maybe the Universe is telling me I should switch to 'Civilisation'?

Anyway, thanks again, gentlemen, including Stormhound, for reassuring me I am not the worst of galactic emperors. The program's die are just loaded against me!

Live long and prosper.

Comment

If you want mature vs. mature, you could always try doing the autorun to turn X in the setup.
              If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Stormhound, always great to hear from you!

But could you please explain what you mean by "doing the autorun to turn X in the setup". I know what you are getting at - having the AI run the game for many turns - but I dont know how one applies it! What are the precise steps?

God bless, take care and have a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

Christopher C.

Comment

I believe it's in the galaxy setup screen (it's been a couple of months for me), down toward the bottom right. Put a number in the box, and the game will run until that turn number. Be prepared for it to take a little while if you go into triple digits.

Comment

Tried that. Takes a loooong while if you want to have the map fully developed and there's no telling what you wind up with. Never had the patience to let it run for very long. Whats the longest anyone has tried the autorun?
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

I've heard of people trying it for 250-300 turns. Took a loooooooong while.

Comment

I may try it again if the wife will let me (in other words, it may be a long time from now... ).

Comment

Many thanks, Stormhound. I may try that. How long might it take to get into triple digits? A matter of hours? I dont think it would be worth using it for less than 150 turns. I now have a 2.2 MHZ. (I got it because nothing less than the biggest galactic canvass in a game is good enough for me!)

At the moment in my particular game, I am doing... okay. I will never be Head Honcho in this particular Galaxy but as Vince278 said, it is a challenge playing the humans. In all the space games I have played I have always played humans or humanoid - it seems species treachery to do anything else! Besides, the Universe really would be better off under our relatively benevolent rule! The aliens are so ugly and so treacherous. We Terrans are much better looking and well, at least a little less treacherous!

Happy Holidays, Stormhound, and a prosperous New Year and also to the others of you who have been so helpful to me with your advice.

Comment

If you're going to run it for 150 turns, then depending upon galaxy size and number of opponents, you might about as well let it run overnight. It probably won't take near that long, but if you're like me you'll keep watching the pot until you're ready to scream.

Comment

Many thanks, as always, for the info, Stormhound.

Happy Holidays!

You know, I have read how some educated prisoners plant for themselves the perfect garden or build the perfect house in their mind while they are imprisoned!
                              I would program in my imagination the perfect space strategy game! It would start with having a scenario editor!

Live long and prosper.

Christopher.

Comment

Working...
                              X