MOO4 idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO4 idea

The MOO games have always been about the little guys, ie the young races, striving to rise to power and overcome the mysterious Elder races, the Orions or Antarans.

What if the game let you play as one of the original Traveller races, the Orions, Antarans, Dubhei, Shaulaa, Bellatricians, Meissans, Allioth, Mintakans, Siaph or the Exile Race the Minzarans?

The game could start when the travellers leave Center One, and the game could be about the struggle between the Elder races, with the younger ones used as pawns.

Wouldn't it be interesting to play as one of the Big guys like the Antarans, and struggle against the other Travellers races for domination?
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

I really don't care what races I play as long as the game goes back to the roots (MoO1/2, more 2) instead of reinventing the wheel and creating something rectangular :/

Only race I gotta have is blue skinned chicks! heh

Lata
    Krait

Comment

Personally I'd quite like to play as a descendent race and finally trace what happened to the Orions and supercede their technology. In a way thats more of an adventure game than an excuse for another round of galactic combat though.

If I remember the MOO3 backstory, the diaspora from Center One led to a looong time of separation before the Antarrans met and started gobbling up their new neighbours. Unless you cheat on that one and have everyone end up in a space no bigger than the Moo3 galaxy, that isn't going to ring true.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
        If I remember the MOO3 backstory, the diaspora from Center One led to a looong time of separation before the Antarrans met and started gobbling up their new neighbours. Unless you cheat on that one and have everyone end up in a space no bigger than the Moo3 galaxy, that isn't going to ring true.
        The backstory says that the Travellers met each other around 1600 GC.

If you did like civ3 does, and have 1 turn = 50 GC in the beginning of the game, then 1600 GC would only take 32 turns.

Wormholes could allow you to travel the vast distances and meet the other Traveller races. The backstory says that the Antarans accidentally met the Mizarans when their long range probe entered a wormhole.

The native life or younger races could be like civ's barbarians.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I don't like that concept, since they should be able to expand much faster than that. Its not like Civ where the first fumbling steps on the path to civilisation took hundreds of years. The Antarrans enslaving the Mizaran civilisation with a few turbolaser equipped scout ships? My impression is more of huge civilisations (say having colonised the choice planets of an area the size of a Moo3 map) with mostly static high-level tech fighting each other.
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Re: MOO4 idea

Originally posted by The diplomat
            What if the game let you play as one of the original Traveller races, the Orions, Antarans, Dubhei, Shaulaa, Bellatricians, Meissans, Allioth, Mintakans, Siaph or the Exile Race the Minzarans?
            Weren't some of these races originally supposed to be in a future MOO3 expansion?
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

One thing could really be put in, and it's that ladt part: "used as pawns". There is a serious need of pawns in empire TBS games. Look at history at any given time: there are not only major players and how the big ones manage the little ones is always important. Little ones vs big ones, whoever are the little ones, is something to be considered.
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Good point. Empires are a composite of many different nationalities, big and small (i.e. Roman, Byzantine, USSR, etc.). They usually are not a single unified entity.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

BOTF startrek tried to have a Pawn minor civilisation system.. that was its best feature. You and other star empires could bribe or threaten small civilisations to join you, or just conquer them. They each gave a special Wonder that helped your empire.
                  If only BOTF had better starship variety, with designable starships and more buildings it would have easily beaten Moo3 and been an amazing game. They should mix Moo3 and BOTF together.

MY civ3 mod 7 Ages of Man is quite good at simulating Superpower civ struggles. Small civs each have special resources that only they can produce in their geographical borders, if a major civ trades them for it, they get advantages.. so its good for superpowers to control small pawn civs to get plenty of Extra resources which allow extra Units.
                  Theres also an Empire type government, that gives communist style low corruption in every city.

How about special luxury resources for each small nation that make them useful to be friends with.

Comment

Working...
                  X