Win2k and MOO 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k and MOO 1

I cant get it to work on 2K even with the mem settings changed the Autoexec file edited....

any ideas?

Sorry that is one of the few OS's I never used.
    It should work as I got to work on NT and XP.

Comment

A sure way to run it in XP or 2000 is to download a program called VDM Sound from this url

Then, install it, and right click the exe file and click "Run with VDM Sound". Success guarantied!

Comment

You set it up the same way you would on an XP machine. Install it, then create a shortcut to the .exe. Right click to edit properties of the shortcut and make your environment changes there.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
          You set it up the same way you would on an XP machine. Install it, then create a shortcut to the .exe. Right click to edit properties of the shortcut and make your environment changes there.
          True, it can work that way. But almost certainly the sound won't work. And there is the added hassle of having to know all those details on how to manage DOS memory and expanded memory emulation.
          With VDMSound not only that the sound works, but the overall procedure of setting up a pif file for any DOS game is reduced to a few clicks in a wizard.

This is the way to do it with VDMSound:

First, go to the following page

and download there:

1) VDMSound version 2.0.4
          2) VDMSound 2.0.4 update 2
          3) VDMSound Launchpad

Install in the same order.

Now, once you have installed, you will have two commands in your context menu (right-click menu that appears when you point and right-click orion.exe). You should select the one with little symbol next to it. It will start a wizard that will allow you to make a pif file associated with orion.exe without any trouble and the need to know anything about freeing conventional memory, utilising the upper memory block and providing extra extended memory or enabling expanded memory emulation. Just a few clicks away from a trouble-free setup of MOO1 in windows environment (you can freely use a default configuration since it emulates 4 MBytes of expanded and 16 MBytes of extended memory, or you can configure the options yourself to best suit your needs).

I haven't tested this procedure with MOO1 on windows 2000, but have with several other DOS games. I don't see why it wouldn't work on 2000 since it's working perfectly on my XP.

Comment

try downloading dosbox (you can get it here http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1 )
            It works like a charm for me. You will probably want to get the frontend thingy too, its easier to manage then.

Comment

Working...
            X