Was the original MOO3 concept better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the original MOO3 concept better?

I remember back when MOO3 was still in early development, I was really excited about the design concept. There was the Ethos system, a compex economic system, and the intriguing Imperial Focus Point idea, just to name a few.

Then these and other promising ideas were cut...

Now, I realize why they cut these ideas. But I was just wondering:

Would MOO3 have been better without the cuts?
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

I think that it would be hard to argue otherwise. The original talent was exceptional. They got rid of it and lost the vision.

--Woog

Comment

The Ethos system really had me hooked. I was very, very disappointed when I learned that was out.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Since we donot have the orginate idear in final computer codes and as than finish game it hard to answer this question. Sometime people have great idear on paper which sound great and look great but when trying to code then they donot look great.
        By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Yep, I agree with CharlesBHoff.

The ideas they had sound great, especially the Ethos System. The big question would have been how it had been implemented.
          And maybe difficulties with Implementation were just the reason why some of the great Ideas didn´t make it into the final game.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Seems pretty obvious that they cut them because the actual implementation wasn't working. That's the great strength of the kiss principle. If its a simple idea its not likely to fail at implementation stage, although the interface may be poor.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

IFP wrecked the game. They took it out but its effects linger.

Now you have a game that simply runs itself with very little player interaction.

Comment

I know I would have hated IFPs and probably would be intrigued by ethos but the part I liked the most was when it had the extra huge map that was compared to a galactic simulator (I realize that makes me sound like a masochist ).
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

There are something that a computer role-playing games cannot do which paper and pencil one can do. The IFP sound
                  like a great idear but than computer system to handle it not available yet. The human brain is still the best to handle something over than computer.
                  By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

I dunno. IFP would be pretty indistinguishable from just limiting yourself on how much you micromanage per turn in a normal game. I think they were right to take it out because most people prefer to micromanage all their ships or planets in one turn before sitting back and maybe letting 10 turns go past quickly. Trying to track which 10 planets and 2 ship designs to update per turn would just make it more cumbersome.

The D&D Birthright game effectively had IFP's, but it got on ok with that system because the amount needing managing was pretty small. Sure you might be limited to 3 of the 10 economic things you wanted to do in a turn, but the possibilities never reached the hundreds or thousands that a developed MOO game reaches.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

IFP could have been really cool, I think. Makes for more challenging decisions when you can only touch so many projects directly.

Comment

I don't think they would have been able to give out enough IFPs to make up for the damage the AI causes.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I like the idea of limiting micromanaging. In the beginning when you have one settler, you are allowed to micromanage like crazy. When you have 200 cities, you have to use ques and strategy. Makes sense.

Oh...and stormdog and Alan screwd the project up.

Comment

Oh...and stormdog and Alan screwd the project up.
                            StormHOUND. And you DO know that they basically WERE the project, right?
                            Last edited by 13Matt13; July 20, 2003, 16:17.
                            Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

People should be poked in the eye....

Comment

They were the part that had to be cut to save the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X