What's wrong with MOO3 (Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with MOO3 (Review)

MOO actually looks well, nice planets, very cool *.bik movies, realtively good ships' pics. But most of atempts to find something good in the gameplay fail. The first thing that looks wrong is clicks and hostile interface.

The clicks. Most of reviewers wrote, that player do not do anything except pressing "End of turn", but I completely disagree with them. The player performs a lot of needless clicks, and i'm going to explain where.
    The worst clickable thing is "task forse"In Moo2 everything was good. You have ships you can move each ship separately. But Moo3 is to "wise" to allow this. For example you want to send colony ship. You can not simple send the ship when it's completed. You must perform 8 needless clicks:
    1. Click the star
    2. Click "new task forse"
    3. Click and select dropdowns of task and size (4 clicks).
    4. Add the colony ship (using auto build to awoid 2 more needless clicks).
    5. Confirm.
    Also you must wait for a next turn. I have no idea why can't I simply send the single ship. If you know, please explain me.
    Other click-stuff is queue. To set planetary queues you need.
    1. Guess where the queue is located (it took 40 minutes for me to understand that the queue is in the economy screen
    2. Click economy, click military queue, and click planetary queue.
    3. Set production spending in planetary and military.
    Also you sholud remember, that you can not add or remove queue items with a single click as in Moo2.
    OK, you bought the new PC mouse with extremeky good click rate. But your troubles are still serious. You have no real documentation to the game (no good manual, no info in the encyclopedia, no tutorial). The first thing that you ask is : "How to change DEA build speed?". If you understood this by yourself you are genious. After this you'll ask "How to add the spaceport to the region?" or "How to add upgrade to the mining DEA?" or "How to vote the bill imideatly?". After hour of search in fansites you realize, that you can not do the simpliest things.
    But hostile interface is not the only problem. Look at the techs. Yes, in real life president can not tell scientist what exactly must be developed next. But Moo3 isn't real life simulator, it's a strategy game. Gameplay is more important than realism.
    MOOving on... You succeded to perform a lot of clicks to create the attack combat task and started the batlle. WTF, what the small strange ship that fire each other over the rectangular grid? Why do these ship look ugly a little?
    The AI appears to be OK, but if you give planetary management to the AI you can not select AI style. You want one planet with military AI and other with scientific AI, but you get the same ****.

Finally i ask myself why the game is so ugly. And i know the answer. The game developers did not want to make a good game. They simply desired to make more money. They knew, that fans will buy the game anyway, and not-fans will not buy it or will use warez version. So they did the bad game with long-term purpose. They thought that after bad MoO3 more hopes will be on MoO4. And the greedy developers will make more money. When Elementalgames unc. coded their game "Space Rabger", they did not have a task "earn more money". They desired to make a great game and they managed to do this. It must be an example for the Moo developers. When Malfador developed SpaceEmpires they knew, that nobody will buy bad game. And Moo developers must learn from it.

P.S: Waiting for MOO4.
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

Is something wrong with review? Any replies?
    money sqrt evil;

Comment

No replies means everybody agrees!
      From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

Yeah and the few that don't agree can't find anything substantial to shoot it down... Because there is nothing substantial to shoot it down

Lata
        Krait

Comment

Finally i ask myself why the game is so ugly. And i know the answer. The game developers did not want to make a good game. They simply desired to make more money. They knew, that fans will buy the game anyway, and not-fans will not buy it or will use warez version.

That could be said for a lot of games these days... *cough* Enter the Matrix *cough*...
          B♭3

Comment

When good ideas turn bad!

MoO3 was pretty much doomed from the moment QS took over (though some credit has to be given to the incredibly bad mismanagement that lead to the downfall of Microprose). How many titles had this company relesed in the marketplace prior to landing this contract.... ZERO!

As for the chances of a MoO4, don't bet the farm on it. Any game that jumps the shark within the first week of it's release isn't going to inspire many corporate types to lay out good money on a wrecked franchise.

On the bighter side, as P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born evey minute!". Just look at Battlecrusier 3000!
            Kahn

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
              That could be said for a lot of games these days... *cough* Enter the Matrix *cough*...
              Kahn's third rule of game buying: Don't waste your money on any title that is based on a movie and is relaesed around the same time as the movie it is based on!
              Kahn

Comment

agree with mux, but I'll still keep on playing until something beter (tbs) comes out...

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
                  agree with mux, but I'll still keep on playing until something beter (tbs) comes out...
                  Gal civ is better, isnt it?

And english version of "Space rangers" will be released soon. It already exist for about a half a year, but all US publishers refused to work on it, although this game got high grades on all games sites that wrote a review.
                  money sqrt evil;

Comment

Kahn's third rule of game buying: Don't waste your money on any title that is based on a movie and is relaesed around the same time as the movie it is based on!

oh, i didn't. but i was using it as an example of how game developers don't give a hoots about making a good game very often these days.
                    B♭3

Comment

Facts? I guess we don't need no steenkin' facts...

Originally posted by Kahn
                      MoO3 was pretty much doomed from the moment QS took over (though some credit has to be given to the incredibly bad mismanagement that lead to the downfall of Microprose). How many titles had this company relesed in the marketplace prior to landing this contract.... ZERO!
                      BZZZT! Sorry, and thanks for playing. Even a cursory attempt at actually trying to look up your information (hint: try http://www.quicksilver.com/software.html ) would reveal that QS has been in the industry for quite a while. I mean, REALLY now...
                      If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

I wouldn't call several toddler programs from the bargin bin and a failed attempt to adapt "Star Fleet Battles" much of a resume. Your company's track record for the time period it claims to have been in business is not very good when compaired to peers such as Breakaway Games (Been in business for the same period of time, released a quarter of the number games, but have over twice the units sold and much better gamer acceptance.).

To be fair though, I did not realize you had the "Castles" series also, but having not played it, nor paid any attention to the reviews, I cannot speak for the quality of that particular venture.

As to your earlier reference, I'm still looking for the one page ad announcing MoO3 4th qtr 1999 from Microprose. (I already found the one stating 2nd qtr, 2000). In the event that I don't get around to finding it, I'll just drop an email to one of the folks around here from the old Microprose.
                        Kahn

Comment

It's not "my company", if you'll recall. I just make the effort to point out gross misstatements of fact...and to provide a little evidence so that people can make up their own minds.
                          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Got to thinking after my reply, so I checked out GoneGold.com. According to them, NONE of the games listed on the software page you cited had been released before the date (Feb. 2000) alleged by QS for the award of the MoO3 contract. Sorry Charlie!
                            Kahn

Comment

Dude, the Castles series was in the 90's! You may not have played them, but *I* sure as heck did. You need better sources of information.

(From the-underdogs.org:
                              Castles: 1991
                              Castles II: 1992
                              I trust those are far enough before Feb. 2000 for you?)
                              Last edited by Stormhound; July 1, 2003, 20:51.

Comment

Working...
                              X