MOO...on XP...help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO...on XP...help guys

I'm running XP Pro guys, I've tried the EMS memory increase (2048 or whatever it is) and I just can't seem to get the game to run. I'll double-click the shortcut to the .exe file, the screen will go black for about 2 seconds and then it will crash to the desktop, no error messages. Help me guys, I miss playin' the good 'ol MOO.

I just finished another Moo1 game tonight and one yesterday on XP PRO SP1, so it should play fine.
    This is a P-IV 3.06 with Radeon 9800 so any box should work.

Make sure that you uncheck the box for close on exit. This should allow you to see any msgs.
    It is on the program tab in properties.

Comment

ok, i unchecked it.........now i get the DOS black screen and it says, "reconfigure hardware options". What now?

Comment

That is part of the install process. This is where you tell if/what sound if any you are using.
        Use the shortcut to Install.exe and then select reconfigure. Try first with no sound. If it works, you can go back and try to add sound.

Comment

Awesome! I got the game to run w/out sound...now how about with sound? I know you said to play around w/the sound configurations until you get it, but just for reference how do you have yours set up? I'm using a SoundBlaster card...

BTW, thanks for replying so quickly to my problem, you're a Godsend.

Comment

You'll need to find out your settings of the soundblaster:

IRQ, normally either 5 or 7
            The base address: 220
            Now I am not sure anymore, if there is midi:

That would normally be 330
            And the DMA, which is either 1 or 5

The install will ask you for it.

To check by the way, you'll have to check in the device-manager and check for your soundblaster setttings.

Comment

For all the SB cards and emulations I have seen it is:
              220, IRQ 5 and DRQ 1
              330 and 388 midi.
              DMA for 16 bit is 5.

Comment

I should have mention if I had not, that often the sound will not work on even SB cards.
                The last two PC's I bought I went with out the sound card and used on board AC97. This mean not having 4 speakers any more, but I have not had any problem with Moo1 sound on either one.

Comment

ya, it's weird...I formatted my harddrive recently, and it originally had win 98 on it and then i upgraded it to xp pro. Sound was working fine then on MOO. But now since I've formatted the drive and done a fresh XP Pro install, it's made things different.

I'm still not able to find out the IRQ and address on the soundcard when doing device manager.

Comment

Forget it.
                    No way XP will let a DOS program access the PCs hardware directly. So whatever IRQ the soundcard is using, XP will keep its hand over, and deny any calls to it. DOS sound (with the exception of PC speaker) is a no-go under NT kernel. Any sound must pass through the OS' Hardware Abstraction Layer.

If you still want sound, try playing MOO under DOSBox (http://dosbox.cjb.net/). Works nicely, but demands a somewhat fast computer.

C.

Comment

catullus that sounds good, but in fact I have had sound in all my DOS games on may 2 XP boxes with no special software (MoM Moo Alien Legacy Ascendancy and more).

bonorye you are correc the device manager will not give you those addess via properties. Select View and then resources by type. This will be of no real use as you will see things like IRQ for sound at 17. Not going to work for that old DOS app. You will have to use the standard SB settign and XP will emulate it (hopefully).

Comment

I never knew, vmxa.
                        You are right, I really should read up on the OS. Seems the XP NTVDM does provide SoundBlaster 2.0 (8-bit) emulation on IRQ 5.

C.

Comment

This is the one benefit of having SB be so domaint in the early days. All games had to support it and hence so it Microsoft.

Comment

I'm having troubles with MoO2 in XP. Every time i want to start a game, multi or single, it says it cant find shipname.lbx. but none of my other computers have that file, and they work fine! what's going on?

Comment

I noticed that mine is all caps. It is SHIPNAME.LBX and was dated 10/14/1996. It is not part of the 1.31 patch.
                              So it sounds like an install issue.
                              I am on XP PRO.

Comment

Working...
                              X