Yor colonizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yor colonizing

The Yor seem to always have colonies spread out over a larger area than they should be able to reach.

In my current game they had one colony 3 sectors away from anything else, without a SB for range, it was right on top of the Torians.

Another strange thing in another game. I found a couple of great systems with my scout, then sent colony ships and the Yor beat me to them. But the odd thing is one of the planets became their HW right away, how does that work?
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comp cheats A LOT in latest patch on high difficulty. Just set colony ship sensor range to 500, diplomatic translators and Communication Theory cost to 1.

It has like 2500-2700 gold at the start, ~20% PQ bonus and ~ *2 economy (not *1,4) on highest difficulty. Too bad. Developers told us that comp plays fair game. It was before latest paths.

P.S. I was surprised how he gets Dreadnought in 44 turns. 13640 Research points / 44 = 310 Research / Month from the start
    Last edited by Ellestar; April 26, 2003, 19:42.
    Knowledge is Power

Comment

You can trade techs to reduce your research time.

How do you know that the ai has that stuff starting out?

Comment

Madine

Not so easy in latest path.
        1) Minor civs give you 12 bc/Tech
        2) With all that bonuses you just can't outresearch AI.

How do you know that the ai has that stuff starting out?

1) Go to GalCiv\Data directory
        2) Make a copy of 'CoreShips.SHIP' and 'GCTech.TECH'
        3) Rename files 'CoreShips.SHIP' to 'CoreShips.SHIP1' and 'GCTech.TECH' to 'GCTech.TECH1'
        4) Edit copies of files with text editor (notepad) - in 'Copy CoreShips.SHIP' set 'SensorRange 1000' for 'SHIP ColonyShip', in 'copy GCTech.TECH' set 'Research_Cost 1' for 'TECH 1 UniversalTranslator' and for 'TECH 120 CommunicationTheory'

Now you see all map at the start of the game and can communicate with all races = see their money/techs from the 3rd turn.

Don't forget that this is cheating so just delete copies of 2 files and rename original files back. You will be banned from metavese if you send a score with these changes.
        Last edited by Ellestar; April 27, 2003, 05:05.
        Knowledge is Power

Comment

That's clever. Is it true though that one of the AIs isn't beefed up as much? I thought that they were supposed to reactivate some of the beta era AI scripts or something.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yeah it was the Arceans.

Arcean AI personality now enabled with the previously disabled "nasty AI" tactics at higher levels. Basically, during the beta of GalCiv, the computer players had a set of algorithms they would use at higher levels to make them more challenging. You see, computer players are infinitely patient so they can do things like synchronize sending damaged ships home and replacing them with undamaged ones. Moving ships out of harm's way based on calculating how many moves the various potential opponents have, zip out of orbit and whack a near by transport and then zip back in, and dozens of other tactics. During the beta, some beta testers found this to be too aggressive so instead of using these tactics, we took them out and compensated it by making genius and incredible AI simply have more money. For 1.03, we have re-enabled some of this for the Arcean AI personality. They only come into play at genius or higher (though they will randomly be called at intelligent). Depending on feedback, we may allow the other AI players to make use of this, re-enable even more of these algorithms, or take them out. It's up to you guys basically.

Do they have the same issues with being boosted or is their advantage smaller?

Comment

Well dreadnought tech is given by a random event. At least i never saw it again that early in the game.

Felch X
              Don't know. I'm already playing and don't want to edit game files.
              Knowledge is Power

Comment

Oh aight, it's something I could look into on my own then. After I finish this game.

Comment

I meant that the ai could trade techs, so it would not have to research all of them.

The diplomacy screen will show you the amount of money, but what about the pq and econ bonus?

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar
                    Madine

Not so easy in latest path.
                    1) Minor civs give you 12 bc/Tech
                    2) With all that bonuses you just can't outresearch AI.
                    wrong wrong wrong.

I outresearch the AI all of the time on "Intelligent" level in the 1.03 release.

If you also luck into a good starting position (nearby 2nd planet), you could easily have 7-10 techs at the end of the first year.

And once you get a tech lead and a few trade goods, it gets easier if you can play the AIs right. However, that depends on how well you can ad lib and adapt to the starting position.
                    "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Madine
                      If comp colonizes planet with PQ 19 it becomes 22. PQ 20 > 24.
                      You can compare income from your and from comp planet.

Ray K
                      I outresearch the AI all of the time on "Intelligent" level in the 1.03 release.

Try to do it on incredible...

//
                      I thought that i throwed this link here
                      Last edited by Ellestar; April 29, 2003, 07:33.
                      Knowledge is Power

Comment

Madine
                        If comp colonizes planet with PQ 19 it becomes 22. PQ 20 > 24.
                        You can compare income from your and from comp planet.

Ray K

Try to do it on incredible...
                        Why? That proves nothing because the AI admittedly gets bonuses above intelligent level. Is this the "cheating" that you are talking about? LAME.

If I could out-research them on those levels, then the AI would be weak.
                        "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Well i'm some kind of a lamer, Ok? So why i can't say lame things?

P.S. You don't followed a link, isn't it?
                          Knowledge is Power

Comment

Well i'm some kind of a lamer, Ok? So why i can't say lame things?
                            Sure you can, and I can point them out.

It's lame to complain that the AI is "cheating" because you can't outresearch it on the levels above Intelligent. On those levels, it is no secret that the AI gets bonuses so it is definitely "cheating" in that respect.

I can easily outresearch the AI on Intelligent, so if it's cheating on that level then it's doing a poor job!

Comment

Working...
                            X