"Jeez, wish I knew that..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jeez, wish I knew that..."

So in my last game, I discovered (much to my chagrin, nearly at the end of the game) that starbases can be constructed anywhere, not only on resources.

What an idiot.

So what sorts of things have you guys found out that, in retrospect, are big fat duhs?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Propaganda for individual star systems is set by clicking the Details button from the production screen. You can also see what projects have been built there and disband a colony.

I can't take credit for finding this though. Someone else from Poly showed me how.

Comment

Not much in this game, it took a long time to find the details button.

Not GalCiv, but mu biggest "Duh" was in the first Panzer General. I thought you could only upgrade your stuff during the combats, which I thought was dumb, because I basically had to take each unit ont of action for a turn or two to move it to a city and spend a turn upgrading.

I finished the game before finding out how you upgraded before the mission
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Do you guys know how to auto survey? At least you guys have the excuse of not being the designer of the game. During the beta, that feature was kind of sneaked in and I didn't know about it, but I love it.

Click on the "I" button on your ship panel.

Comment

I know it is there, but I do not know if I should use it or not. IOW how it would go about the survey.

Comment

So it will search out anomalies and survey without having to hunt each one down? That would be cool. If you do that, you lose the cheese tactic of highlighting a ship that's on autopilot and reentering the destination. I'll use it sometimes when my survey ship and an enemy survey ship are closing on the same resource so I can get there first.

Comment

Originally posted by Draginol
              Do you guys know how to auto survey?

I didn't know that one either. I can honestly say however that I wouldn't use it only because I love moving my ships around the galaxy manually.
              signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

My biggest moment like this was realizing that even after you research the Alliance tech, it will only appear if the other AI is 'Close' to you.
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I have another one. Planet quality's relation to collectable taxes from a planet. It makes sense that the better the planet the happier the people and the more money is collected but I was more than willing at first to plunk down on a class 13 planet. I couldn't understand why I would build almost no social projects on a planet but it was costing me massive amounts of money to sustain.

Comment

Auto survey rocks.

i think that alot of these things elude us because i think you have to double click the survey ship to see the auto survey option, it isn't available otherwise is it?

and how many actually double click a ship to give it orders.
                    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

If doubleclicking means a left click to highlight and a right click for "Go Here" then I do.

Comment

nice
                        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Re: "Jeez, wish I knew that..."

Originally posted by Guynemer
                          So in my last game, I discovered (much to my chagrin, nearly at the end of the game) that starbases can be constructed anywhere, not only on resources.

What an idiot.

So what sorts of things have you guys found out that, in retrospect, are big fat duhs?
                          No ****! Well, I'll be... Durrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks, Guy!
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Happy to be of assistance...

Think of how much a happier place Apolyton could be if people occasionally admitted that they didn't know something... especially the OT...
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                              Happy to be of assistance...

Think of how much a happier place Apolyton could be if people occasionally admitted that they didn't know something... especially the OT...
                              Such admissions of defeat are intolerable.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X