Buy it and then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy it and then what?

Ok. Tomorrow I go to CompUSA and buy Galactic Civ. Then what do I need to do? Download the Bonus pack and patches? Do I need to register or install the game before I can do any downloading? You see I want to play/install the game at home and use my work for downloading (faster connection).

Follow these steps in order to minimize headaches (these assume that your GalCiv computer is internet capable):

1. DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE BONUS PACK ON THE GALCIV HOMEPAGE!

2. DO NOT INSTALL GALCIV YET!

3. Download the latest version of Stardock Central from the GalCiv homepage. Install and run it. Wait for it to update itself to the latest version over the internet.

4. Select to the Register Software... option under the Tools menu. Enter your GalCiv serial number and registration information and register your copy.

5. Quit Stardock Central.

6. Install GalCiv.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Run Stardock Central. If you want you should check the "installed" directory under the Stardock Central directory to make sure that gc1.xml and gc1_multimedia.xml both exist now.

9. Select the Software -> Draginol.net tab under Stardock Central and wait for it to update.

10. Update your GalCiv, GalCiv multimedia pack and install the latest bonus pack from this tab. Update regularly: Stardock patches GalCiv very often, almost daily.

If you do not follow these instructions, you might have to redownload huge amounts of GalCiv when you want to update it (100's of MB).

Comment

Hey thanks. I didn't realise it was so complex!

I've printed your instructions for when I get the game!
      The foppish elf, fighting ithkul in a top hat and smoking jacket since 1885

Comment

If it prompts you to download the entire game again after installing, do a search for orig_gc1.xml. Copy it into your Installed folder (name may be wrong but I'm at work and can't check) and it will correct that problem. If you follow the steps dkhoo laid out, though, it shouldn't happen. Happy civvin!

Comment

Wait, if I read your post correctly, the advice above is wrong!

1) Install the game at home.

2) Download Bonus pack and latest stand-alone patch (i.e., *.exe file), burn to disk, install that at home. At this point you'll be asked for your serial number, so don't forget to bring the serial number to work!

Avoid Stardock at work because a) it HAS deleted people's entire c drive! (though I *guess* this is fixed) and b) even if you do the incremental updates on the game at work --if you install the game at work, that is-- you can't transfer those incremental updates back home.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
            Wait, if I read your post correctly, the advice above is wrong!

1) Install the game at home.

2) Download Bonus pack and latest stand-alone patch (i.e., *.exe file), burn to disk, install that at home. At this point you'll be asked for your serial number, so don't forget to bring the serial number to work!

Avoid Stardock at work because a) it HAS deleted people's entire c drive! (though I *guess* this is fixed) and b) even if you do the incremental updates on the game at work --if you install the game at work, that is-- you can't transfer those incremental updates back home.
            This is precisely what I've done after purchasing the game from EBX. Since I don't have a high speed internet connection at home I am thankful that this option exists. I can live without getting daily updates as long as standalone patches are available.
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Good catch Yin. Didn't notice the work angle. I'd hate to be responsible for the massive damage that could ensue...

Comment

Ah yea, go old work....

Just for the record, this is the order I did it in:

1) Bought GalCiv at store and installed it.
                2) Downloaded Stardock Central. Installed and configured it and GalCiv registration according to their excellent FAQ on using SDC. Only issue I had was with AdSubtract and Zone Alarm. Quickly fixed by their FAQ on that situation.
                3) Been downloading regular updates ever since with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                X