Strategies for high-end games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategies for high-end games

The following are a some tips I've found useful when playing GalCiv games with relatively intelligent AI opponents. I certainly don't consider myself an expert; anyone else who has done well at Challenging+ levels, feel free to toss in your own comments.
    • The first aspect to look at is the game setup itself. I never leave the alignment to default; you want to set up the alignment/intelligence of the opponents to best suit you. What I do is figure out what sort of game I want to play (evil or good, neutral is no fun in my book! ) and set up the AI accordingly. If you're just starting a higher difficulty level, give the higher AI to the races that you plan on being friends with, and leave the other races the difficulty you're used to playing. One potential strategy here is to have 2 ultra-good races and be good yourself, relying on them to help do your dirty work. You may also want to modify your starting abilities; I generally have the 10% improvement to planet quality mixed with other options.
    • Never underestimate the power of location. If you want to be shy and retiring in your game, start out in a corner with a lot of planets nearby (control-N is your friend!). If you want to mix it up with everybody and get trading right off the bat, find a nice starting spot in the middle. There's certainly nothing wrong with restarting to find the sort of position you want to play.
    • You should have your opening strategy down by now: use the combination of lease/quick buy/adjusting sliders to maximize production that you're comfortable with, and get out there fast. The AI will be colonizing fast and furiously, and you should be too.
    • Even within the early stages of colonization, start having some of your lower-class planets working on a few constructors. They take some time at the start, and if you don't have them early on, you'll miss out on all the resources that you need to support you later on. Of course, you need to know where they are; it helps to have a scout or two out early, to locate them. Make sure your survey ship is being used as an explorer, as well; leave the anomalies near your own colonies for later exploration, and get out there to meet the aliens!
    • If you've been researching as quickly as you should be, you should have a few extra techs to sell to the other races that you meet. Squeeze the cash out of them, if you can; the minor races are often nice cash cows and can't research a lot on their own. The idea here is to keep your cash flow high enough that you can keep your production bar raised to at least 80% in the first few stages of the game.
    • Figure out what techs you want and get there fast, to try to get ahead of everybody else. I like having the (relative ) monopoly on Diplomatic Translators and Aphrodisiac. I'm always building one of those on Earth early as soon as the Manufacturing Center is finished. After the first round of techs are done, I usually try to grab Interstellar Refining for the sweet power of the Fusion Power Plant. It costs 3 to maintain, but it's only half the building cost of the Man. Center and has +10% economy, so it more than pays for itself even on dinky planets. You want these low-build cost projects available to buff up your lower quality planets without taking 50 turns to do so.
    • Taxes: These should rarely be above 50% for an extended period of time, at least during the early/mid game. Your population will shrink (or at least not grow at the rate you want it) if they are over-taxed. This is true even if your approval rate is sky-high. People vote with their feet, and they will quietly move elsewhere (or just work the grey market) and you'll end up never having the number of taxable people that you need. I found this one out the hard way...
    • Diplomacy: It can be hard to keep the peace at higher skill levels, especially if you have people of opposing alignment near you. My last Painful game, I had one point where everybody in the game was Cool toward me or worse, so I'm still working on this myself. The usual suspects apply when it comes to remedying this: get those freighters from your big planets out to get the trade routes up, for both the cash and the diplomacy benefits. Trading helps marginally, and of course just keeping up with the military buildup is good, even if you don't plan on going to war immediately. If you're militarily weak, the other races will tend to look down on you and not have any problem shoving you around.
    • Apart from the starbases on hopefully a few resources, you must have at least one starbase early on in your primary production sectors (usually Earth's sector if you picked a good starting spot, and one other nearby sector.) Always build constructors when you don't need more military ships and get the production in those key sectors cranked up. The trade bonuses are important for maintaining the cash flow, as well, especially mid-game where you may not want to sell as many techs to prospective rivals. Ideally if you have enough extra constructors you want to have 3 loaded starbases in your primary building sector, but that doesn't happen sometimes when you're too busy building military to keep from getting pounded. These primary sectors should contain the high quality (22+) planets that will be cranking out your battleships and dreadnoughts once they come along; those are the few planets where you want to take the time/cost to build the shipyard, star ship foundry, etc.
    • Approval: There are two very different parts to your approval rating. The first is the approval on a planetary level, which varies widely based on the planet quality, improvements, and potential changes based on the moral choices made when you colonized. You ideally want to keep this over 80%, and absolutely no lower than 60%. Think like a dictator; use propaganda if you need to! There is also the time-honored method of shipping off those unhappy people in Transports to sit in orbit endlessly, which is unfortunately still needed sometimes, although not nearly as often with the latest patches. The other part of approval is your global approval, which is generally quite easy to maintain once you get the hang of it. This matters for elections, and mini-election events such as going to war. The key here is to remember that there are no electoral colleges in space; it's based purely on the popular vote across all your worlds. So do what any good politician would: focus on the population centers. You will have the most people on your best planets by default, which means they'll tend to be happier, since they're living in paradise and not some back-water hole. Focus on keeping these high population planets happy, by building the occasional morale project. Ideally you want them over 90%; if you can keep them at 100% morale, even better. If you do this and have your other planets at better than 60%, you'll easily cruise to victory anytime you have to put a vote to the masses.
    • Taking out the trash: Sooner or later you'll end up either sucked into a war or needing to expand yourself. You can get away with cruising to victory without much fighting on the lower skill levels, but I haven't found the AI races so accommodating at higher skill levels. If you're skillful and have someone close to you just itching for a beat-down, you can take them out relatively early with transports and the lighter ships. Usually, though, I skip researching Corvette Technology entirely and just make a bee-line on the military side for battleships. You can prepare for potential fights with your population movements, as well. I tend to keep some of that excess population in transports near the front line planets where I'm most likely to be attacked; that way, you can beef up the population so that even if you get hit before you have all your ships out there, you can pour some extra citizens in as a last-ditch effort to beat down their soldiers when they try to land.
    • Endgame: One of the hardest parts of my games so far has been figuring out which way I want to win. It's all really game-dependant, unless you have a specific goal in mind and stick to that. On the scoring side, I would say to crank up your tech once it's clear you're going to win. During those turns when you're just doing mop-up, or waiting for your culture to expand to the point where you win, you really want to be cranking out as many techs as possible. A large part of the score seems to be based on the amount of techs researched (although it's also based on the time it takes to win, so just waiting around building more techs doesn't help unless you're going for the tech victory.

Hopefully this has been useful to people trying to get ahead in the game; I'm interested in hearing strategies from other players who have managed to go toe to toe on the better AI levels and win. Good luck out there!

excellent, thanks.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Re: Strategies for high-end games

Replied to specific sections; editing was done for size needs, refer to the original post for full text, no malicious editing intended.

Pyr- what size maps do you play on? Looking at these tips, I'm guessing you're not in "The World of the Gigantic." Hehe.

Originally posted by Pyrkaige
      The following are a some tips I've found useful when playing GalCiv games with relatively intelligent AI opponents. I certainly don't consider myself an expert; anyone else who has done well at Challenging+ levels, feel free to toss in your own comments.
      [list][*] The first aspect to look at is the game setup itself. I never leave the alignment to default; you want to set up the alignment/intelligence of the opponents to best suit you. What I do is figure out what sort of game I want to play (evil or good, neutral is no fun in my book! ) and set up the AI accordingly. If you're just starting a higher difficulty level, give the higher AI to the races that you plan on being friends with, and leave the other races the difficulty you're used to playing. One potential strategy here is to have 2 ultra-good races and be good yourself, relying on them to help do your dirty work. You may also want to modify your starting abilities; I generally have the 10% improvement to planet quality mixed with other options.
      Respectfully, I'm not sure this is good advice for an up-and-coming player, and borders on cheesy. While I DO respect your choice to do it - anything for APolyton score power, hehe - this can get you into bad habits. At some point you will hit the rooftop on the AI level for your allies and then your opponents will catch up as you keep raising the difficulty- and your constant allies you relied on won't be so powerful anymore. I strongly support keeping the AI levels uniform. I *do* agree that planet quality is the most important improvement, though- I actually put mine at 15 percent and then 1 population growth point to fill those nice, juicy worlds. Currently I'm making a joke of the computer with them all on "Bright" using this starting method- I'm looking forward to seeing them all on Intelligent; although with the current lead I have, I'm not sure that will slow me down either!

[*] Never underestimate the power of location. If you want to be shy and retiring in your game, start out in a corner with a lot of planets nearby (control-N is your friend!). If you want to mix it up with everybody and get trading right off the bat, find a nice starting spot in the middle. There's certainly nothing wrong with restarting to find the sort of position you want to play.
      Agreed. This is also a bit cheesy, but I think it's a reasonable compensation for the "all stars known" factor the computer gets.

[*] Even within the early stages of colonization, start having some of your lower-class planets working on a few constructors. They take some time at the start, and if you don't have them early on, you'll miss out on all the resources that you need to support you later on. Of course, you need to know where they are; it helps to have a scout or two out early, to locate them. Make sure your survey ship is being used as an explorer, as well; leave the anomalies near your own colonies for later exploration, and get out there to meet the aliens!
      I *do* go after anamolies that are on my route of exploration- there's no reason to ignore them altogether. Usually somewhere midway through the "beginning phase" I'll build a second survey ship to scoop these up; the little bonuses DO add up. Scouts are important, though - I like to have at least 2-3, and I use my low class planets to build these before I start constructors.

[*] If you've been researching as quickly as you should be, you should have a few extra techs to sell to the other races that you meet. Squeeze the cash out of them, if you can; the minor races are often nice cash cows and can't research a lot on their own. The idea here is to keep your cash flow high enough that you can keep your production bar raised to at least 80% in the first few stages of the game.
      Again agreed- it's worth noting that you should probably never sell them some techs, though- diplomacy, for example. Why take some cash to lower your sale values for all time? I also avoid selling "trade good" techs until AFTER I make the good- Minor Races always seem to scoop these on me. I would alter that production bar comment to say 100% though.

[*] Figure out what techs you want and get there fast, to try to get ahead of everybody else. I like having the (relative ) monopoly on Diplomatic Translators and Aphrodisiac. I'm always building one of those on Earth early as soon as the Manufacturing Center is finished. After the first round of techs are done, I usually try to grab Interstellar Refining for the sweet power of the Fusion Power Plant.
      Definitely- although I don't mind losing Aphros to a minor race, as I can usually get it out of them for Diplo Translators (the only way I'll ever trade those off, too, heh). My tech growth usually grabs the two environmental controls for growth (I am a ***VERY*** aggressive early colonizer - I generally have 2-3x the number of colonies as anyone else early on. Remember with 15% PQ increase, a 14 is usable immediately (becomes a 15 or 16, forget which) and a 13 is usable fast- becomes a 14, which after soil enhancement is just fine - a 14 only gets you 1BC, but if you make soil enhancement your first buy...) After the two "growth" techs I alternate industry with research needs as needs dicate. Honestly, I probably neglect trade more than I should, but my economy with so many colonies (Gigantic map issue, probably) sees trade routes as a drop in the bucket early on. Later, they'd be good-hmm...prolly ought to think on that, heh.

[*] Taxes: These should rarely be above 50% for an extended period of time, at least during the early/mid game. Your population will shrink (or at least not grow at the rate you want it) if they are over-taxed. This is true even if your approval rate is sky-high. People vote with their feet, and they will quietly move elsewhere (or just work the grey market) and you'll end up never having the number of taxable people that you need. I found this one out the hard way...
      Here we're going to disagree- I find that with my first two techs in Environmental control, I can leave my taxes higher than that constantly and be just fine- I tend to leave my taxes wherever I can keep my global popularity at approximately 65 percent....and that's usually around 60 percent taxes, too. I think "overtaxed" is a very relative term, and your people only shrink if you go over the 70 percent mark- and again, good morale can offset this.

[*] Apart from the starbases on hopefully a few resources, you must have at least one starbase early on in your primary production sectors (usually Earth's sector if you picked a good starting spot, and one other nearby sector.) Always build constructors when you don't need more military ships and get the production in those key sectors cranked up. The trade bonuses are important for maintaining the cash flow, as well, especially mid-game where you may not want to sell as many techs to prospective rivals. Ideally if you have enough extra constructors you want to have 3 loaded starbases in your primary building sector, but that doesn't happen sometimes when you're too busy building military to keep from getting pounded.
      Why stop at 3, and why just your primary build sector? There's often a lull after initial expansion (at least on Gigantic Maps) and before "real" war is possible- I crank out well over a hundred constructors- every system has at least 2 fully production loaded SBs, some 3- and my "manufacturing sector" has 8 or 9. Remember, the FREE manufacturing bonuses stack up too!

[*]Approval: There are two very different parts to your approval rating....
      I keep hearing people say "wait till you raise the difficulty" and I keep doing it, and it keeps on not being a problem- I never have needed to build the "Entertainment" resources anywhere. Morale tech, trade goods, and any morale resources I find are *always* enough. ::shrug:: I dunno.

[*]Endgame: One of the hardest parts of my games so far has been figuring out which way I want to win. It's all really game-dependant, unless you have a specific goal in mind and stick to that.
      One of my main gripes on Gigantic Maps is that it's difficult to AVOID winning by culture- I may start turning it off altogether as I did one game - though honestly I wish they'd start saying something about how score is calculated; at least comparative calculations of victory scores and penalties for turns elapsed. Is it better to try and push a military campaign once you have the ability and rush your victory, or go for a technological one? Culture bomb or fusion bomb? Right now, I dunno.

Now if you would be so kind as to comment on my Alignment thread? Hehe.
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

First, I think that map size changes many things. In particular, on a small (< huge) map, you will meet minor races early on, which is, to me, a cash cow, so it may be easier than on big maps. I believe tactics must be changed accordingly.
        I got most of my income from tribute through tech selling to the minor civs (mostly). That works on Challenging and seems to work on Painful. I am not sure whether this will work end-game-wise on painful, though.
        I agree that cultural victory is hard to avoid. If you start and win a culture war, all the other civs may fall down without your actively doing anything (or not much).

One question about early techs:
        Do you put tech at 100% or some such? Do you trade the universal translator?

About abilities: I found that +1 speed was very useful in the opening.
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Re: Re: Strategies for high-end games

This has made for an interesting discussion; keep those ideas coming, folks!

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
          Pyr- what size maps do you play on? Looking at these tips, I'm guessing you're not in "The World of the Gigantic." Hehe.
          I've mainly played on Large maps, although these tips work equally well on Huge ones. I haven't done Gigantic much because my system gets a bit sluggish trying to manage all that. Ironically, the larger maps are often easier to play when it comes to starting out, because the room around your starting position is so much greater, but the movement of ships are fixed. It's definitely easier to expand on larger maps without running into potential enemies. The odd part from the scoring side is that the larger maps give such a huge bonus to score, although they obviously do take a bit longer to play.

If you're just starting a higher difficulty level, give the higher AI to the races that you plan on being friends with, and leave the other races the difficulty you're used to playing. One potential strategy here is to have 2 ultra-good races and be good yourself, relying on them to help do your dirty work.
          Respectfully, I'm not sure this is good advice for an up-and-coming player, and borders on cheesy. While I DO respect your choice to do it - anything for APolyton score power, hehe - this can get you into bad habits. At some point you will hit the rooftop on the AI level for your allies and then your opponents will catch up as you keep raising the difficulty- and your constant allies you relied on won't be so powerful anymore. I strongly support keeping the AI levels uniform.

If people are having difficulty getting the hang of higher levels, this is certainly a valid way to tilt the playing balance in favor of your expected friends. You still have to make them your friends; you have to take the hits from choosing to be good, and generally those are the races you want to send your trade routes through. Saying that AI intelligence levels should always be equal is like saying that people should never change the alignment of the AI; if it's changable at the start, there's no reason not to play around with it.

I also avoid selling "trade good" techs until AFTER I make the good- Minor Races always seem to scoop these on me.

That's a very good point, worth repeating. It's even worse right now, with the lack of monopoly bug: given that all a race has to do is start building a trade good or galactic achievement and they can finish it up 30 turns after you do and still get it. This is probably the most annoying bug in the game right now; I'm hoping it gets squashed in the next major patch.

Ideally if you have enough extra constructors you want to have 3 loaded starbases in your primary building sector, but that doesn't happen sometimes when you're too busy building military to keep from getting pounded.
          Why stop at 3, and why just your primary build sector? There's often a lull after initial expansion (at least on Gigantic Maps) and before "real" war is possible- I crank out well over a hundred constructors- every system has at least 2 fully production loaded SBs, some 3- and my "manufacturing sector" has 8 or 9. Remember, the FREE manufacturing bonuses stack up too!

Again, that's definitely something that there is less possible with both higher levels of difficulty (Painful, Crippling, etc.) and smaller maps. If you can afford to build more than 100 constructors before there's a chance of war, the game is moving too slowly, in my book.

Originally posted by LDiCesare
          One question about early techs:
          Do you put tech at 100% or some such? Do you trade the universal translator?

About abilities: I found that +1 speed was very useful in the opening.

I normally put tech research around 40% for most of the game, although higher towards the end of the game, especially if I'm going towards a tech victory. Trading the universal translator usually is not worth it, from what I've seen; it's not worth very much, since it takes so little to research, and all it does is give the minor races the ability to talk to other races sooner than they would have. It doesn't seem to be a big deal either way, though.

As far as abilities go, having that extra speed at the start would definitely help, especially on smaller maps, when trying to out-run close races to prime planets. I'm loath to put points into something that will only help for part of the game, though. I've ended up lately going for the 15% planet quality bonus with the extra going towards tech, usually. Having most of your planets in the 20 quality range makes a huge difference when it comes to just about everything: moral, production, taxes, etc.

Comment

That's a very good point, worth repeating. It's even worse right now, with the lack of monopoly bug: given that all a race has to do is start building a trade good or galactic achievement and they can finish it up 30 turns after you do and still get it. This is probably the most annoying bug in the game right now; I'm hoping it gets squashed in the next major patch.

I have noticed that with the trade good, but when I tried finishing a wonder that had already been completed mine didn't progress any more.
            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

As far as abilities go, having that extra speed at the start would definitely help, especially on smaller maps
              Yes, it's probably not worth as much on big maps, where range limits your contacts. I agree it has an effect almost only during the start of the game, but I believe that the start is about everything. If you don't blunder afterwards, a head start seems to mean victory (up to pianful).
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I think going culture war to extend borders is very efficient, cheap and almost broken (the ai does it too, though), as taking a world by culture gives you the whole population of the world.

On population:
                Do you manage to outgrow the ai pop-wise? I always lag. My planets never grow as much/fast as theirs.

Comment

LDiCesare: Outgrow, no, but keep equal with the AI (unless it gets more planets), yes. Do you fiddle with propaganda and taxes to keep your morale high? High morale gives more population growth...

/unic

Comment

Originally posted by unic
                    LDiCesare: Outgrow, no, but keep equal with the AI (unless it gets more planets), yes. Do you fiddle with propaganda and taxes to keep your morale high? High morale gives more population growth...

/unic
                    It's not that this doesn't make sense or I don't believe you, but where is this clearly documented? I must have missed it. "High" is a relative term, after all.....
                    Friedrich Psitalon
                    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

High is relative... but fiddling around with propaganda spending, I keep morale at newly colonized planets at 100% for as long as I can.

Oh, and as for the source of that... the galciv strategy forum. I don't know if it really is very clearly documented anywhere - but that goes for lots of the formulas in the game.

Long-term, morale will of course drop towards a stable point, and population growth stop (unless you keep gaining new planets), and the way to keep growing then is to increase morale again, through improvements or techs.

Also... this is a mix of my own experiences and reading the strategy forum... so don't take my word for it - try it out for yourself and see what works and what doesn't... what observations you make.

As far as I understand from what he's written, I think that's part of Brad's design reasons for not giving out all the formulas, and not being able to see ahead in the tech tree in-game... he wants the player to try out various things and learn through experimentation and discovery what works and how.

Not sure if this was helpful.

/unic

Comment

I saw the morale > 98% threshold documented somewhere. I tend to keep morale around 60% to get good taxes and no riots/defections to the I-League/losing control of the senate. That must explain my low pop.

Comment

The best strat of all 'til mid-game for stimulating the economy is to be ahead in RESEARCH: techs and TGs to sell to the AI ( 12-14 turns terms ) for maximum profits. Thereafter your trade routes ( stimulated by numerous starbases along the way ) can become your primarly source of income; but of course if you're the dominant civ by then, you're even much ahead technologically.

Secondly and finally ( enough to win on medium settings ), just be sure to have a strong military in the early game. You can still have a fast expansion ( anyway, "all things being equal" , this AI doesn't expand&cheat as much as Civ3's ) when building colony ships only in capital and the military elswhere. Just my 2 cents for Begin-Normal-Challeng. levels.
                          The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                          X